Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft's $2.5B Acquisition of Minecraft Could Be Announced Monday -- Report
So apparently the purchase is confirmed according to this article released today.
Minecraft is already available on PC, mobile,Xbox 360, and PS3, and it recently released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The game continues to make it onto both digital andretail top 10 sales charts month after month. Purported inside sources speaking to Bloomberg claim that "Microsoft will keep Minecraft available for rival products" should the deal go ahead.
I rest my case. You can go home folks.

Reactions: GreatOrator

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
This statement hurts me so much I feel like shooting myself, when you talk about a topic you generally want to know what you are saying, but then again, Microsoft is a retarded company and they may do this, but the idea of a Minecraft 2, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS BULLSHIT. Minecraft isn't that type of game, Modern Warfare is, Final Fantasy is, Diablo is, but not Minecraft. I cannot describe the mental pain I feel from this statement, I think I am getting dumber.

The implications for Microsoft to acquire Mojang are huge. If Minecraft is to be Microsoft exclusive, theXbox One could have a potential huge hit if Minecraft 2 is ever made. The game could still be released on PC and Windows Phones, but other platforms would be out of the equation.

Source: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rumor-microsoft-mojang-minecraft-deal-worth-2-5-billion/

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
This statement hurts me so much I feel like shooting myself, when you talk about a topic you generally want to know what you are saying, but then again, Microsoft is a retarded company and they may do this, but the idea of a Minecraft 2, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS BULLSHIT. Minecraft isn't that type of game, Modern Warfare is, Final Fantasy is, Diablo is, but not Minecraft. I cannot describe the mental pain I feel from this statement, I think I am getting dumber.

Source: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rumor-microsoft-mojang-minecraft-deal-worth-2-5-billion/
Microsoft said they aren't bothering the PC edition.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
As long as it doesn't effect us PC gamers, I'm not worried. That's their fault for using the XBone.[DOUBLEPOST=1410714721][/DOUBLEPOST]
EA says there license changes are user friendly, The companies act the same, also that better mean they are keeping the same developers and continuing to update.
I don't trust a site whose name is "Attack of the fan boy."

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019

Although the writer in question obviously doesn't entirely grasp their material, your statement isn't entirely true either.

Minecraft 2 is absolutely a possibility. It would however be a TECHNICAL upgrade more than a brand new game. Minecraft in a better language, with better graphics, built as what it is today from the ground up.

Now I'm not saying for sure that it'd be done right, just that there's no reason to see it as an impossibility.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Although the writer in question obviously doesn't entirely grasp their material, your statement isn't entirely true either.

Minecraft 2 is absolutely a possibility. It would however be a TECHNICAL upgrade more than a brand new game. Minecraft in a better language, with better graphics, built as what it is today from the ground up.

Now I'm not saying for sure that it'd be done right, just that there's no reason to see it as an impossibility.

Well, technically the statement is entirely true because it is true to my person who made the statement, which is an opinion. Also, the fact of Microsoft making a Minecraft 2 would destroy the current community, even if it was technical, now a payed-for performance enhancing addon by the original company is another story.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Well, technically the statement is entirely true because it is true to my person who made the statement, which is an opinion. Also, the fact of Microsoft making a Minecraft 2 would destroy the current community, even if it was technical, now a payed-for performance enhancing addon by the original company is another story.
Well, compare it with The Sims, if you will. There have been what, 4 or 5 of those? And strictly speaking they've never CHANGED; nor have they been sequels in the strictest sense.

Yet it works. People buy the new games for the better graphics, improved performance, tweaked mechanics.... etc.

If a Minecraft sequel were ever released, it would be a Sims 2 or SimCity 2000, not a Diablo 2.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Well, compare it with The Sims, if you will. There have been what, 4 or 5 of those? And strictly speaking they've never CHANGED; nor have they been sequels in the strictest sense.

Yet it works. People buy the new games for the better graphics, improved performance, tweaked mechanics.... etc.

If a Minecraft sequel were ever released, it would be a Sims 2 or SimCity 2000, not a Diablo 2.

Yes, it will be the same as Sims, lose your fricking users from version to version and get new ones and become a sell-out just to produce the original figures you thought you could increase. Sims 1 was good, Sims 2, well why the hell can I not transfer over my old world all the hell they added were some new actions and jobs, Sims 3, is this one really a game anymore.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it will be the same as Sims, lose your fricking users from version to version and get new ones and become a sell-out just to produce the original figures you thought you could increase. Sims 1 was good, Sims 2, well why the hell can I not transfer over my old world all the hell they added were some new actions and jobs, Sims 3, is this one really a game anymore.
I cannot help but feel you are rather determined to be bitter today, CBG.

Please don't get me wrong; I'm making no attempt to discuss whether a sequel made by Microsoft would be good or bad and it's not a discussion I want to get involved in. I merely point out that the idea of a sequel is not without merit or precedent.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

Oh, the Sims. Since this Microsoft thing is winding down, let's talk about the sims and how much more evil EA is than Microsoft could ever dream of being.

The big uproar with this game started with this list of missing features, and facts coming out that EA is going to put some/most/all of these features up for sale as DLC. On top of that, it's clearly obvious that they are crippling the base game to try and push their new subscription service

The worst part of all of it, in my opinion, is the guilt they are throwing towards the community that helped the game become what it is today. Check this out:
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/08/m...res-no-sims-5/?ncid=rss_truncated&cps=gravity
"We're not working on Sims 5," Rodiek said. "We're not thinking about Sims 5. If Sims 4 isn't successful, there won't be a Sims 5."

So, buy our game AND the dlc, or subscribe to our premium service, or your precious goes bye bye.

Hey, at least Microsoft isn't stooping to EA's level and employing Extortion as a marketing tactic.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, the Sims. Since this Microsoft thing is winding down, let's talk about the sims and how much more evil EA is than Microsoft could ever dream of being.

The big uproar with this game started with this list of missing features, and facts coming out that EA is going to put some/most/all of these features up for sale as DLC. On top of that, it's clearly obvious that they are crippling the base game to try and push their new subscription service

The worst part of all of it, in my opinion, is the guilt they are throwing towards the community that helped the game become what it is today. Check this out:
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/08/m...res-no-sims-5/?ncid=rss_truncated&cps=gravity

So, buy our game AND the dlc, or subscribe to our premium service, or your precious goes bye bye.

I don't like EA whatsoever and I've refused to buy their games for years, but "if 4 isn't successful we won't make 5" actually isn't an unreasonable thing to say.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like EA whatsoever and I've refused to buy their games for years, but "if 4 isn't successful we won't make 5" actually isn't an unreasonable thing to say.

It kind of is if you take into account their choices they've made for sims 4.

They've doomed it to fail.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I cannot help but feel you are rather determined to be bitter today, CBG.

Please don't get me wrong; I'm making no attempt to discuss whether a sequel made by Microsoft would be good or bad and it's not a discussion I want to get involved in. I merely point out that the idea of a sequel is not without merit or precedent.

Not bitter, my mind is trying to rap around Mojang not owning Mojang anymore.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019

I'm not necessarily against that. I've never actually played any of them past the first; I don't feel any of their "upgrades" justified the purchase.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019

Sims 4 will be like a good movie that has a bad sequel, they make the movie everyone loves it, they make a horrible sequel everyone buys it but it sucks, then the make it a trilogy, no one buys the third movie cause the second sucked.

The only reason the horrible second one did good was because the first was good and everyone rushed to buy it.

Sims 4 will be the bad sequel.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Sims 4 will be like a good movie that has a bad sequel, they make the movie everyone loves it, they make a horrible sequel everyone buys it but it sucks, then the make it a trilogy, no one buys the third movie.

Sims 4 will be the bad sequel.
Except the sims has been a successful franchise from inception. sims 1, 2, 3, all hits. Look at all the expansions for sims 2 and 3. That's money.

They had a couple stinkers, like that online sims game, but not counting that, the franchise has been gold.

Now they're just being greedy, and it's going to kill the game franchise.