Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Except the sims has been a successful franchise from inception. sims 1, 2, 3, all hits. Look at all the expansions for sims 2 and 3. That's money.

They had a couple stinkers, like that online sims game, but not counting that, the franchise has been gold.

Now they're just being greedy, and it's going to kill the game franchise.
The concept doesn't necessarily have to start with one, the idea still applies if it starts with 3.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I think the sims discussion has gone on long enough. Let's get back on the rails people!

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
The concept doesn't necessarily have to start with one, the idea still applies if it starts with 3.
Also, your analogy is flawed sir. It assumes that the Sims 2 sold more copies than the Sims 3, which... well, all the numbers I'm seeing don't line up with this. Sims 1, 6 million, Sims 2, another 6 million... Sims 3? 10 million.

Ok I think the sims discussion has gone on long enough. Let's get back on the rails people!

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2
It's over. The deal is done.

Reactions: pc_assassin

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Also, your analogy is flawed sir. It assumes that the Sims 2 sold more copies than the Sims 3, which... well, all the numbers I'm seeing don't line up with this. Sims 1, 6 million, Sims 2, another 6 million... Sims 3? 10 million.

It's over. The deal is done.
The sims 3 is the good first, the sims 4 is the bad sequel, and the sims 5 is the failure

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
The sims 3 is the good first, the sims 4 is the bad sequel, and the sims 5 is the failure
Do you not see your folly?

If the sims 4 does not sell because of neutered content and features, and a general bad taste in people's mouths over this "subscription" there will not even be an opportunity for the sims 5 to fail. There won't be one.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Do you not see your folly?

If the sims 4 does not sell because of neutered content and features, and a general bad taste in people's mouths over this "subscription" there will not even be an opportunity for the sims 5 to fail. There won't be one.
There will almost definitely be a Sims 5, people will subscribe out of grudge.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
There will almost definitely be a Sims 5, people will subscribe out of grudge.
Well, my wife has bought every main sims game since the first, along with expansions and their "stuff packs" basically she's the customer that EA has aimed their subscription at.

Features that have been in the base game since Sims 1 are now going to be DLC. That would be like you loading up the next Final Fantasy game only to realize that Magic will be released as an addon at a later time, for a small price of $5.99. If any percentage of Sims players are like my wife, they're hopping mad over this. I personally don't give a crap about the Sims, aside from throwing house parties, deleting the doors, and accidentally setting fi...er, nvm

Anyway, my wife will not be purchasing the Sims 4, and I am confident that she is not the only big spending fan that has chosen not to.

TheQuixote

Jul 29, 2019
The only way I could see M$ making their money back is if they locked down the game to only use a mods from a mod "MarketPlace" type of scheme. Mods would cost money, mod makers would make some cash and M$ would take their cut.

This could be good or bad and honestly I have no idea why Mojang hasn't done this already. Would provide a source of income for dedicated modding/Modders and provide and additional source of income for Mojang

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The only way I could see M$ making their money back is if they locked down the game to only use a mods from a mod "MarketPlace" type of scheme. Mods would cost money, mod makers would make some cash and M$ would take their cut.

This could be good or bad and honestly I have no idea why Mojang hasn't done this already. Would provide a source of income for dedicated modding/Modders and provide and additional source of income for Mojang

This is a given, as several articles have stated that MS is seemingly concentrating on Consoles, nearly impossible to mod since the hardware is closely controlled, and Mobile, nearly impossible to mod since the source(s) of "Apps" are closely controlled.

Microsoft seems content to let the PC market float where it may, other than slight glitches such as Vista's heavy-handed UAC and Win8's attempt to emulate the Tablet environment, but seem to learn from their errors.

Anyone expecting a perfect world post merger (if it happens) needs to turn in their rose colored glasses, while those expecting total disaster need to loosen their headbands a little bit and let some blood flow to their brains. Reality will fall somewhere in between.

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I am not too worried for one reason only. Whether you like Microsoft or not, they didn't get where they are by being stupid.
This statement hurts me so much I feel like shooting myself, when you talk about a topic you generally want to know what you are saying, but then again, Microsoft is a retarded company and they may do this, but the idea of a Minecraft 2, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS BULLSHIT. Minecraft isn't that type of game, Modern Warfare is, Final Fantasy is, Diablo is, but not Minecraft. I cannot describe the mental pain I feel from this statement, I think I am getting dumber.

Source: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rumor-microsoft-mojang-minecraft-deal-worth-2-5-billion/

Minecraft 2 would be where they include modish content. :p

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Well, EA does seem to suck to most, but at the end of the day all companies are in it for the money. And no matter how much smack you right it makes no difference if you buy the game.(which most of the hating populous does)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
EA killed Westwood. EA did even worse by killing Origin, turning what should've been the capstone of an epic series into complete horseshit, and then cannibalizing its corpse, using its name for its damned Steam knockoff. As far as I'm concerned, EA can go fornicate with an amorphophallus titanium.

The only potential correlation between EA and Microsoft as games publishers, is The Sims and Fable, respectively. Except, The Sims actually started out as something good. *ZING!*

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
EA killed Westwood. EA did even worse by killing Origin, turning what should've been the capstone of an epic series into complete horseshit, and then cannibalizing its corpse, using its name for its damned Steam knockoff. As far as I'm concerned, EA can go fornicate with an amorphophallus titanium.

The only potential correlation between EA and Microsoft as games publishers, is The Sims and Fable, respectively. Except, The Sims actually started out as something good. *ZING!*
What, you want them killing ecologically-threatened species too?

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk