IC2 is slowly dying out ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
once you experience Tinkers Construct you'll sing a different tune ;)

Can Tinker's Construct really make a better mining tool?

Keep in mind that it's not just about the mining speed, either. Having a pick and shovel in one saves up much-needed space on my hotbar.

Berserkenstein

Jul 29, 2019
ah well good luck putting any enchants on your drill once that bug is squished. Also... I'm not sure but I think one can make a pick faster than that.

My favorite tool is the mining laser, it's fun to use and probably the fastest hand mining implement. The only other thing I use is a regular thaumium pick with repair II, efficiency V and silk touch because you can't get silk touch on a mining laser.

As far as IC2 goes though, very few other mods add as many modern looking blocks. I prefer a modern theme to the medieval fantasy theme. There are few others that have that, Xycraft is one, but it is more sci-fi than modern.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
After all said and done, I am playing 1.5.1 without IC2 and missing it, it's high speed ore processing power and mining drill but if they remain this slow to code and will not polish their existing machinery and I am not even mentioning they haven't added any new features, they will not survive for long.

Read stickys more, type less. Im going to go ahead and assume your personal information on IC2 is nearly two months out of date, so your input on the health/additions to IC2 is questionable.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
It's been almost 6 months since the last official release of IC2, not counting betas and snapshots.
It was just over 7 months between RP2 pr5b2 (for 1.2.5) and pr6 (for 1.4.6/7).

Reactions: Chocorate

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using it and still not good as a diamond drill with Efficiency IV added to it though rapier appears to be much better than nano saber.
First, I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong or debate, just my views. :)

I don't think the two can be compared. Yeah the MPS or Drill is much better than Construct stuff, but it's supposed to be that way. Tinker's Construct adds content to the terribly linear tool upgrade path, while being cheap and balanced. Advanced Drills are for like, endgame. I don't think you were saying this, but for the people who think it shouldn't be in the pack because _____ is better, it's supposed to be like that. It adds content to the game rather than playing with the same old iron pick, diamond pick, diamond drill thing over and over. It's like comparing an MFE to an MFSU. There's a purpose for both.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah, IC2 has evolved over time, but not really innovated. Better ways of doing things, like wires, and the changes to the reactors, upgrades and the like. With a mature mod, this isn't, necessarily, a bad thing. It, and Buildcraft, make a very stable foundation for any tech themed mod pack, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

And, when it comes down to it, without IC2 and Buildcraft technical Minecraft wouldn't have become as big a thing as it is now.

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019
Read stickys more, type less. Im going to go ahead and assume your personal information on IC2 is nearly two months out of date, so your input on the health/additions to IC2 is questionable.
ಠ_ಠ
॓_॔

Mate, no offense though your tone was not civil.

Now, I've been checking on IC2 on regular basis and last time I've tried and downloaded #304, it was crashing system due to memory loss. I've been checking their own site from time to time as well and last time I checked their public release was intended for 1.4.5 though it was working for 1.4.7. Please do check your own thread about 1.5.1 progress, you've also tagged it as developement build.

They have had 1.5 versions for weeks now.

On mobile at moment... Search Jenkins ic2 304
I am aware of developement builds, last time I tried using 304 too and it didn't work quite well otherwise IC2 is my favourite mod and I am waiting for it to get more stable so we do not get crashes every so often.
ah well good luck putting any enchants on your drill once that bug is squished. Also... I'm not sure but I think one can make a pick faster than that.
Indeed you can though you'll still require to repair it IC2 is often accompanied with it's add-ons so with a lappack you can go a long way, still I liked tinker's tools they are good early game tools and they lend you more control also playing with mod is quite fun.
First, I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong or debate, just my views. :)

It is alright and yes, advanced drill is an endgame tool and requires a bit of control if you are working with soft material such as netherrack or soil and I wouldn't use it on sand unless you are sand farming.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
It is alright and yes, advanced drill is an endgame tool and requires a bit of control if you are working with soft material such as netherrack or soil and I wouldn't use it on sand unless you are sand farming.
Also it's bad to use if you're laggy. xD
It's nice to see mods add things that can be used as alternatives, and still have a use when compared to high-tier items. :)

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I'm still not quite ready to accept the argument that ic2 is finished, though if it isn't completed it might get forgotten.

Why make only ONE tier 2 machine in ic2?

Just as a for example of one thing that seems forgotten.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still not quite ready to accept the argument that ic2 is finished, though if it isn't completed it might get forgotten.
I think IC2 is stale, but not dying. Like Minechem, I suppose. It's settling down on updates, but it'll have its uses.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
Ya I would be sad without my jetpack although modular power suit helps it's just super simple to use

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Thankfully, there hasn't been too much harping on this in this particular thread...but I swear, every time I see TE vs IC2 pop up, I want to page a moderator and slam the thread closed.

Furnace and Pulverizer. That's it. The similarities start and end there. If you seriously see TE as a killer of IC2, then all you really want is more ore. I actually have far more IC2 stuff in my FC house than I do TE stuff. I'm even working on a TE/IC2 crossover.

And yes, TE machines are getting upgrades. No, TE machines are currently not "slow", and if you think so, you are a caveman who still sits huddled around the glow of your furnace like it's the first night instead of actually automating things intelligently.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Its a backbone mod to me. Its expanding via its add ons like advanced machine, gregtech & gravisuite. I'm glad I used it for a while but I honestly just want to play with other mods that either add to its functionality or do similar things in different ways. I'm excited to try out UE for example.

You know what actually is dying out? Land line phones

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
It might be dying, or just not interesting anymore. Macerators, induction furnaces - I made this stuff thousands of times. Pulverizers and other things too, but they are more interesting and configurable sides is a very nice mechanic. And they way faster than macerators unless you put tons of overclockers into it.
But industrial grindier is much more interesting and cool-looking that either macerators and pulverizers.
2013-04-30_22.51.22.png

Power generation.
Man, solars are boring. Especially those fancy 100500 eu/t output ones. Coal generators are boring. Geotermal generators are not so boring, since they require some sort of infrastructure, but it's getting old. That's why I'm using Steam Turbines, even though they are not as efficient as other boring methods of power generation. Seriously, what soultions do I have for IC power? Only Nukes are somewhat interesting. And RailCraft system. Dave's idea to move to Universal Electricity is actually a good idea, since it's like a fresh breath. And it's not as stupid as obsolete IC "packetsize = voltage" and so on concepts of IC2 Seriously, IC2's Eu's are not electricity - they are angry gnomes carrying packets with energy. UE is not perfect, too, but at least it's something different.
Greg's machines also have an interesting idea - "supply MV, or it wouldn't work". Even THIS approach is closer to real electricity. Try to feed your microwave oven with 50 volts instead of 220 or 110 (depending on country :p).
Glass fiber cables also was an idiotic thing. We had a nice "higher voltage/less loss percentage" line and there are HV cables that just destroys that curve. Who uses HV to transport energy? Who uses ANYTHING but glass fiber in final builds?
And didn't mentioned that real glass fiber is not conductive at all!

RedPower power is interesting, but it is pretty hard to produce and there are no real uses of it except Frames. And awful capacity of wires and slow stabilization period doesn't do well for RP2.

Factorization power is interesting. That's the solar generator I like. However, it lacks uses except Factorization ore processing.
Actually Factorization is an example of something more interesting than IC2. Its multi-stage ore processing is something new compared to concept "macerate, get dusts + bonus, smelt them - ORE DOUBLING". Maybe factorization way is too complicated, however, it is interesting. I should use it at some point.

Actually, before TE, buildcraft power had an interesting concept - no energy storage. It might seem bad, but that changes the gameplay a bit (or a lot) - you need to produce as much power as you consume and "put a solar - go mining" method won't work. But without TE, buildcraft had no machines that somehow were able to replace IC2.

I don't know, IC just getting old. It's machines don't change, while machines from other mods do. There are new mods with new machines that easier to automate, or they work better, or more interesting. The only thing that IC2 had monopoly for a bit - is chargeable tools. But there are MachineMuse's suits for now, and a lot of people prefer her armor and tool over Q-armor. For now, IC doesn't have anything that cannot be replaced with other mods.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
If you seriously see TE as a killer of IC2, then all you really want is more ore.
you are a caveman who still sits huddled around the glow of your furnace like it's the first night instead of actually automating things intelligently.
You described a significant portion of IndustrialExpansion2 debaters. Most people really do only care about getting more ores, to make machines that give them more metals, which are powered by machines that need yet more stuff.
It's been quite a while since I saw someone who used mods as less of a goal and more of an aide to help them build or do other simple things. I'm glad we have things like the Glacial Precipitator and that TE's whole thing is being able to transfer blocks through energy states.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 exists so gregtech has a host to feed off of.

Seriously though, I love my induction furnace and my mining laser. Even while ignoring the rest of it those two I still use regularly.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
If IC2 weren't in the game, I imagine my interest in FTB in general wouldn't last more than a few days after I'd gotten my bees and trees fully breeded.

It's a backbone mod that adds a massive amount of content through its addon mods. I just can't see myself enjoying FTB without it.

It's not about whether IC2 is better than TE or vice versa. That's not even remotely relevant. They both fill very separate roles for very separate categories of players. Remove one or the other, and you lose a massive amount of your player base. End of story.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
IC( and IC2) was one of the first "industrial" mods, and it grew quite a lot in the first months from its creation.

While the mod basically introduced maceration, and gave a whole new power system, it has seen very few evolutions in the last year.
Other mods have made vast improvements on the concepts of energy and machines.

For the energy, the Buildcraft energy became a real one, instead of being a close to useless one, with additions such as Forestry, Railcraft and Termal Expansion. They transformed a basic energy flow concept into a fully featured energy network, complete with various ways to generate the power, transfer it, and even a way to store it.
As a result, we see a lot of mods allowing MJ to be used as an energy.

For the machines side, the main competitor seems to be Thermal Expansion, because the first two machines do exactly the same thing (doubling ores and auto smelting). But they add configuration over what side accepts what, and what side automatically output what.
Of course, they don't have the "upgrades" from IC2, so they can't work as fast as a fully upgraded machine in IC2. But if you made a really automated system, all it means is that you need to add machines and buffer.

Now on to the main problem for IC2 in my opinion. The mod as a whole feels boring now. The all propose cool new mechanisms and new challenges to automate. IC2 has a static energy generation that doesn't promote the only one that needs a bit of reflection (nuclear).
Every single machine feels the same, they just have a different purpose.
The only thing I find interesting in IC2 is the four energy tiers and the nuclear power.

Some mods try really hard to relight the interest in the mod they are based on, by giving new tools that are not just upgrades, like the rock cutter, or new ways to generate the energy, via conversions or better nuclear systems.

Now, if IC2 was to be refreshed a bit to fit with all the new mods that we have now (and didn't two years ago), it could come back very strong on the "big three". That would mean working on many aspects, including the automation, and making the overall feel of the mod feel more interesting.

I do not consider dropping the mod as is, but I would really love to actually consider it for early and mid game, where I now only take it for later, or specific purposes (compressor running on a stack of redstone for making the blocks).