IC2 is slowly dying out ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

StreetKing

Jul 29, 2019
Why do I keep getting this feeling ? The reason why mods are getting famous and used/still getting used is because they add a new mechanic/idea that hasn't been introduced before or having a unique functionality that can't be replaced by any other mod. I can certainly say that IC2 is starting to get replaced by other mods from what I'm seeing. When I log on SMP servers I see people replacing IC2 machines with different machines from other mods because they're more efficient/intelligent/compact. The only thing that's keeping IC2 on its legs is the nuclear reactor and Gregtech and I am starting to think people are only using IC2 as a gateway to reach Gregtech late game machinery. And I don't see the developers adding any new stuff to attract the players back. I tried searching the internet for any upcoming features but I couldn't find anything. I still keep/use my IC2 machines side by side with TE machines. I've been playing IC since it was the only major mod along side with BC and I guess I am just too attached to it. In the end, this is only my opinion and I might be completely wrong about this. I'd like to know what you guys think about this. Share your opinions and correct me if I'm wrong please.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, TE is overrated IMHO. I don't see why everyone loves it so much. Sure, you can get machines to input to other machines, but now with AE you can do that with ANY machine, and not wait about 10 years for it to process. Also I prefer eu for how you don't have to switch your generators off every 5 minutes to avoid wasting fuel.

IC2 is still my favourite mod, but its being left behind. I would like to think that whoever made it is working on IC3 but he probably isn't. A great shame :(

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I hope it doesn't. FTB without IC2(Or ICSomething) is a deal-breaker for me.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I totally agree Mash. I once tried out the magic pack to try to wean myself off of IC2, but I didn't really like it.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
TE machines don't take that long to process things, especially when their energy storage is at max and really, for the most part, I don't care how long it takes to process one item.

As for fuel, in the early game you shouldn't have them continuously running anyway, as you said, it wastes fuel. But when you get a system together that generates more fuel than you can use up, then it doesn't really matter if MJ gets wasted.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
IC2 is complete. It's done. It does what it was supposed to do. Other mods are adding to it like Gravisuite, MPS, GT, solars, etc. so it is clearly very much alive as a foundation for other modders. What else does IC2 need?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's great as-is. Just needs to be gradually updated to keep up with MC. I think the addon mods will keep new content coming at a pretty reliable pace.

JakkofBlades

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 and BC are becoming engines for other modders to add on to. But I think IC2 needs an overhaul to keep it relevent. Weeding out some of the weird mechanics and replacing them with smarter, more efficient, and even cooler ideas.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I hope it doesn't. FTB without IC2(Or ICSomething) is a deal-breaker for me.

Same, I wouldn't want to play without IC2 either.

If those people who look at mods only for ore output multipliers and infinite energy loops want to replace IC2 with other mods, sure, let them. I still want my CF sprayer and scaffolding for large-scale building with paintable walls, the only actually balanced teleporter module in the entire modding community, the hilarious tesla coils for base defense, the cheap earlygame jetpack and the progression-based gameplay that GregTech adds.

Reactions: Mash

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I need the Mass Fabricator. If Greg adds UE power to his Matter Fab, I could possibly live without IC2 on a different modpack. I can't live without it on FTB packs. Kirin's Resonant Rise modpack has no IC2, but it does have UE, and as Gregtech integrates with UE, I may be able to power the Matterfab. I'm just hoping I get added when BoP fixes.
Kirin, I do still want to be added to Resonant Rise if that is OK with you. Thanks!

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's great as-is. Just needs to be gradually updated to keep up with MC. I think the addon mods will keep new content coming at a pretty reliable pace.
So do I. I know GT, gravisuite etc do a fine job of keeping IC2 relevant, but it would be nice to see the mod itself get updated (if only to stop kids from hating on it for no good reason).

Reactions: Mash

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I use it all. I start with TE and go for a redstone energy cell asap. Its easy to do once you know what you need to do. Once you can store the power the system becomes effcient. Then I move onto ic2 to start working up towards gregtech stuff. I also use ic2 to power my mps. I dont see why it has to be either or... I want it all..

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I have been having the same feeling for a long while now. there's rarely anything new added to IC2, the last thing was the change of the nuclear reactor, which wasn't too bad, but I expected alot more of it, like maybe some kind of new multiblock structure (yea, I jumped on the bandwagon) the problem with IC2 is, you have no idea what's going on right now. you hardly hear anything about them working on new stuff, and they only update to new versions without adding anything new. IC2 still has alot of potential, but some of it is wasted and luckily most of it is picked up by mod developers who make IC2 addons and keep the mod alive.

Reactions: Catarooni

Gerhard

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 is a great mod on its own, but it acts as extremely flexible base. Imagine if we had just IC2 in the Ultimate Pack and none of the IC2 addons. The only people who would use it for anything other than Quantum Armor would be people who didn't know that there are better alternatives (I see this a lot in Tekkit converts) and people who are just attached to it and prefer the IC2 system to other systems because its familiar to them.

Toss in Gregtech and MFFS, and now you've got something worth doing. Some people love Gregtech, some people hate it, but we should all admit that Gregtech's multiblock machines and the purposes they serve do some pretty awesome stuff (granted they're costly to build). MFFS lets you do some really awesome stuff.

IC2 alone would be dead and gone by now, but IC2 and all that comes with it in the FTB pack (essentially IC2+) is still great.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Until something as simple as solar power gets into other mods, I don't see Industrial Craft dying. It's simply the best way to power stuff without human intervention unless you want to have an enormous base with trains, rails, trees, boilers, laggy nether lava pumps or others things all connected with dozens of pipes and liquids going every where and machines that look like an ugly mess and even sometimes mob farms just to get an automated power system, it's just ridiculous. I never use the MJ system and if I need machines that require MJ I will still get it from solar panels then electrical engines in redstone energy cell, that's how I hate MJ.

Solar -> MFSU -> transformer -> machines. That's it. Now look at the "show your power room" thread and see the difference.

Of course the best thing would be all the modders working together on a universal power system with many ways of creating it but still only one power unit and many machines. That would be great.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
I use Ic2 Power gen but I convert to MJ.

Cuz Ic2 is useful but.. TE machines better.

But IC2's tools are FANTASTIC

Kraviec

Jul 29, 2019
I use TE for automatization cause it's more compact and intelligent. IMO it is also easier to genetare MJ than EU. And MJ generation looks better. Columns of steam engines and a massive boiler with spaghettis of liquiducts is just wonderful. To get such satisfactory looks with IC2 you need to go nuclear or fusion and that's a longer way. This being said, yes I prefer TE BUT I don't want IC2 gone. Faster machines, nuclear fun, jetpack, mining laser and mining drill are too much written into my brain to just let it all go. Yes, I can pretty much replicate all functionalities with other mods but too many mods center around IC2 that are symbolic to FTB. Come on, FTB without a gravi? Impossibru!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I think that IC is complete, except for one thing. Crops. I think the crops need to be automated. Most of the modpacks IC is in are centered around automation. Things like sticky reeds, that are more efficient than rubber trees need to be able to be automatically harvested and replanted. Rubber trees have a way of automation, Forestry. The crops however, do not. Most mods that do anything with plants and crops have a way of automation. Even XyCraft corn can be automated (Redpower). I would not play FTB without IC2. If it wasn't added I would add it in myself. I personally hate the ore processing that TE does. Most machines in it are the most helpful things ever. But Pulverizers and Powered Furnaces are horrible. They are slow, energy inefficient, and not upgradable. The Induction Smelter just seems unnecessary except for getting slag, which is not that useful. I don't understand why people would rather use Pulverizers at the start and then move on to Macerators. Yes, with GT Macerators are more expensive, but not by much. Diamonds are very common, and you only need 4 glowstone. I find that much better than making 5 engines to power two slow machines that I will store in a chest after 3 days.

TL;DR: Crops need to able to be automated, and Macerators>Pulverizers. Both are great mods.

Reactions: Redweevil

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Kirin's Resonant Rise modpack has no IC2, but it does have UE, and as Gregtech integrates with UE, I may be able to power the Matterfab.

It does now. And even in the future GT will still require IC2 to be installed even if you're only using it with UE (Greg said as much, and it's a side effect of EU support)

Reactions: whizzball1