ELORAAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I've always wondered, where do modders expenses come from? Is it total opportunity cost assumed in currency, the sum of utility expenses, or something else entirely.

Web hosting, hardware upgrades, programs (Photoshop). Opportunity cost wouldn't even be fair to count. I make way more at an hour of work than I could ever possibly make for an hour of modding. We do it for the fun, but a bit of beer money doesn't go unappreciated.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
She doesn't owe you anything, ever. None of these modders owe anybody a thing. Learn this, please.

I mean, if a mod stops getting updated, and the developer drops off the face of the earth, logic tells us A. that person is dead, or 2. they are too busy to contribute to their project at this time.
? That's not what there post was about, it was about common courtesy and who they would rather donate to, not bout anyone owing anything.

l3lackCalamity

Jul 29, 2019
She doesn't owe you anything, ever. None of these modders owe anybody a thing. Learn this, please.

I mean, if a mod stops getting updated, and the developer drops off the face of the earth, logic tells us A. that person is dead, or 2. they are too busy to contribute to their project at this time.

I don't understand why you seem to be trying so hard to fight with me. No, she doesn't owe the community anything. What I'm saying is that given her history she doesn't yet deserve anything from the community either. Other modders who have actively participated in the community deserve donations.

Reactions: GreenZombie

l3lackCalamity

Jul 29, 2019
Web hosting, hardware upgrades, programs (Photoshop). Opportunity cost wouldn't even be fair to count. I make way more at an hour of work than I could ever possibly make for an hour of modding. We do it for the fun, but a bit of beer money doesn't go unappreciated.

So at its core you see donations as a moral boosting signs of appreciation as oppose to dollar signs. I'm glad COFH sees donations as such. I'm quite confused by those who claim to either make their livings, or drop office hours due to mod donations.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
>Whatever happened to common courtesy
>Is a random person who I don't know at all, and I first saw a few weeks ago
Yup, everyone owes you everything.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Time
File Hosting
Git Hosting (like github or bitbucket)
Utilities
Hardware
Software
Alcohol

WAIT! Are you saying I should hit up Slow for Alcohol money? Here I was paying for it out of my pocket.. God dam it. SLOW you better look forward to tax time! lol

(ofc this is a joke, Trying to lighten the mood a little in this conversation)

K4b6

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why you seem to be trying so hard to fight with me. No, she doesn't owe the community anything. What I'm saying is that given her history she doesn't yet deserve anything from the community either. Other modders who have actively participated in the community deserve donations.

Going to chime in here, even though I know I shouldn't.

One I agree if a modder/coder/programer hasn't developed, worked on a mod, or help in the community, why give them a donation, but I can't agree with you since you put the above person; has been a dev with forge, created and updated Redpower from beta 1.7.3 - 1.4.6, and also thought about the compatibility of other mods while she made her mod (forge hasn't had everything it has now).

Yet in the above, you are stating she has done nothing in the community, which may be why it may seem he is arguing with you. Sure she did go dark, for about/over a year, so you have that on her, and if that is what is stopping you from donating, good for you.

In the end I'm not looking for an argument either, so if you feel elo doesn't deserve a donation, fine don't give one. I just want you to understand where others that give her a donation may be coming from.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Going to chime in here, even though I know I shouldn't.

One I agree if a modder/coder/programer hasn't developed, worked on a mod, or help in the community, why give them a donation, but I can't agree with you since you put the above person; has been a dev with forge, created and updated Redpower from beta 1.7.3 - 1.4.6, and also thought about the compatibility of other mods while she made her mod (forge hasn't had everything it has now).

Yet in the above, you are stating she has done nothing in the community, which may be why it may seem he is arguing with you. Sure she did go dark, for about/over a year, so you have that on her, and if that is what is stopping you from donating, good for you.

In the end I'm not looking for an argument either, so if you feel elo doesn't deserve a donation, fine don't give one. I just want you to understand where others that give her a donation may be coming from.
Actively
One is not active if they disappear for a year.

Reactions: Padfoote and YX33A

K4b6

Jul 29, 2019
Actively
One is not active if they disappear for a year.

I can agree with that, but here is where I am coming from,

just like that was your side, this is my opinion and my side, I would gladly support elo if I had the money. My reasons; because her mod is the direction I want mods to go, and because I never got to support her before. and ya I feel she deserves money from me(my opinion and I'm only stating me). why because she spent hours working a mod that I used all the time, I waited for her mod to be updated before going to a new minecraft release. which now that I think about it is kindof sad...

eitherway If I'm going to spend money on a game, then why would I not donate to a person whose mod I have been using since Beta 1.7.3

So "actively" or not everyone is going to have their own reason for donating and that reason very well may be "I want to use this mod again", but please do not try to state someone is wrong for donating to her without knowing their cause..

Edit: before some tells me (moderators?), I took out the whole your opinion thing, because it is great to share opinions on the forum :p

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

This implies to me that you and or other modders have taken unpaid leave to work on their mod...

Reactions: YX33A

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
This implies to me that you and or other modders have taken unpaid leave to work on their mod...
Not necessarily. Maybe he currently has a job where he works 40 hours/week, but if he stopped modding for 10 hours/week he could work a different job (or re-negotiate the same job? idk how jobs work [yet]) for 50 hours/week.

Reactions: YX33A

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Not necessarily. Maybe he currently has a job where he works 40 hours/week, but if he stopped modding for 10 hours/week he could work a different job (or re-negotiate the same job? idk how jobs work [yet]) for 50 hours/week.
It would more likely be that you're working 40 hours a week at work, and thus working extra time on the mod takes time out of personal things such as family life, and so they believe they should be paid for that work in order for it to be worthwhile spending their time on modding above other priorities

Reactions: 1SDAN and YX33A

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

It's not that, it's just that without getting into specifics, I have a very unique skillset and have absolutely no trouble finding work when I want to. For the past couple years, I had been a full time PhD student and working half time as a professional engineer for another 20 hours a week. Modding has happened on weekends for me, mostly. If I were only in it for the money, I could easily fill my entire day with contract work. So that's the "opportunity cost."

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
It's not that, it's just that without getting into specifics, I have a very unique skillset and have absolutely no trouble finding work when I want to. For the past couple years, I had been a full time PhD student and working half time as a professional engineer for another 20 hours a week. Modding has happened on weekends for me, mostly. If I were only in it for the money, I could easily fill my entire day with contract work. So that's the "opportunity cost."
532c5142f01e7.jpg

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Something that strikes me as odd is that some are basically complaining that people are doing things they don't like with the first party's own money. I know, it happens all the time, and I internally mock people who waste money on trashy romance novels (amongst other things), but...really? Did it ever occur to ya that maybe the folks who are giving her Patreon donations are folks that would've done so in the beginning had that been an option? Shit, if I had my own discretionary cash (I earn somewhere on the low end of "jack shit" currently), I'd happily throw a dollar or two a month her way. Elo helped create Forge. Forge has worked as a framework for pretty much every mod that we enjoy nowadays. She created the Ore Dictionary, which is why having 17,000 different copper ores isn't a problem, anymore.

Elo contributed to the very core of modern Minecraft modding. Has she been active in the past year or so? No, but life happens, and Elo's a very private person. However, she also seems very sensible. If she didn't want to work on RedPower again, I'd be willing to be that she'd just come out and say it. It'd save a lot of time, bullshit, and drama. All in all, I say live and let live. Eloraam is back, and that's bloody awesome! We've got one of our oldest hands back in the action, and I have no doubts that whatever she makes will be every bit as awesome as the original RedPower was way back when.

Status
Not open for further replies.