ELORAAM

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Be interesting to see what Elooram develops. Good to see her back.
If anything, her absence previously was good for the modded community, it caused more modders to emerge and produce similar/identical concepts, as a result, we are no longer "forced" to be restricted on a few mods.

Reactions: casilleroatr

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I hope it come back differently. Something new, exciting and unique.
It already was unique, and worked really well. I don't see why it needs to change just for change's sake. Most power systems are essentially interchangeable, you have chunks of power thst move around and do stuff and are consumed. Blutricity was never like that. Is that a pain? I guess it could be seen like that, but no more fundamentally so than Thaumcraft vis being different from your Blood Magic network.

Reactions: immibis

Shadowquinn

Jul 29, 2019
We have gone this far without her or her mod. She WILL have to do something major to get back in to this. Project Red saved our rear ends with there release.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
One of the curious problems is that it ended up so ubiquitous, that when it didn't update, everyone had to scramble to fix functionality holes. Wireless redstone for example, relied specifically on the circuit plates from RP2, and when those weren't around, it had to be re-written to use stone slabs and redstone dust instead of plates and alloy wire. Computer Craft still checks for RP2 when the game starts. MFR rednet cable is still interacted with as Bundled Cable. Am I glad to see her back modding? Yes. Am I excited for RPX? No.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
We have gone this far without her or her mod. She WILL have to do something major to get back in to this. Project Red saved our rear ends with there release.
I agree, the days of "critical mods" are over, and that's a good thing. RP3 will be optional for modpack builders. I will use it in my main world, as I love the computers if nothing else. Frames are cool as well, but like I said, there are alternatives. I never really got on with the pneumatic tubes, but I have SFM now so I don't need to deal with backstuffing or spilling ever again!

Reactions: Mevansuto

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Did it? I don't feel we really needed Project: Red. As much as I like that mod we could have done without it. After all, we didn't have it in 1.5.[DOUBLEPOST=1403539118][/DOUBLEPOST]
What if...

NEI dissapeared?

Please tell me it's open source. NOW!

I agree, the days of "critical mods" are over, and that's a good thing. RP3 will be optional for modpack builders. I will use it in my main world, as I love the computers if nothing else. Frames are cool as well, but like I said, there are alternatives. I never really got on with the pneumatic tubes, but I have SFM now so I don't need to deal with backstuffing or spilling ever again!

I don't feel we should have any critical mods now, mainly because of packs adopting a similar mentality to BnB and MF2.

Reactions: Planetguy

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
[...] Wireless redstone for example, relied specifically on the circuit plates from RP2, and when those weren't around, it had to be re-written to use stone slabs and redstone dust instead of plates and alloy wire.[...]
Actually, if memory serves, Wireless Redstone, at least Chickenbones' variant thereof, had always had a standalone version, and you needed to download an RP2 integration module to make it work with the plates and alloy wire.

The biggest sticking points I can recall from the last time RP2 disappeared were tubes, frames, and microparts, and I don't think any mods had hard dependencies on any of those. Minor integration helpers, like the bundled cable support in CC, don't really count, in my opinion.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Not irreplaceable, but extremly convenient and familiar.

NEI is the only mod I think of that has truly universal mod-pack appeal. This is vastly different than, say, 2011 or even 2012.

Hindsight being what it is, I'm glad that transitioning from MC 1.5 to MC 1.6 took as long as it did. It gave ample breathing room to newer, upcoming modders and their mods.

As of 2014, the MC modded scene has matured (grown) to the point where mod-pack makers can assemble very different, yet viable and interesting mod-packs and maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.