ELORAAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Connecting technique? If you mean things automatically sending things back and forth based on voltage levels (battery boxes), then it's quite possible with RF, just that I'd imagine most people don't see the point.

Not just some - a LOT of concepts that aren't in current RF implementations*. Because people shouldn't need EE 101 to understand the system, and modders shouldn't need a Bachelor's degree to support it. Also, because Minecraft is single threaded and solving a system of non-linear differential equations - even if you're clever and use a Linpack-style Cholesky decomposition - is not something that needs to happen 20 times per second.

So yeah, there's a lot to Blutricity. And there's a lot of reasons I didn't write RF to be like it.

*Technically, RF is a simple wrapper and exchange format for a number - that number could easily be seen as "energy potential," aka "voltage." Somebody with enough time on their hands who really wants to waste CPU cycles on a differential equation solver could absolutely replicate AC-style power using RF.
http://fnetpublic.utk.edu/
is the kind of stuff I'm doing.
Not to be mean in any way here....
As im sitting here reading this i just.. well.. feel that your a *tad* jealous or just don't like Eloram.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Connecting technique? If you mean things automatically sending things back and forth based on voltage levels (battery boxes), then it's quite possible with RF, just that I'd imagine most people don't see the point.

Not just some - a LOT of concepts that aren't in current RF implementations*. Because people shouldn't need EE 101 to understand the system, and modders shouldn't need a Bachelor's degree to support it. Also, because Minecraft is single threaded and solving a system of non-linear differential equations - even if you're clever and use a Linpack-style Cholesky decomposition - is not something that needs to happen 20 times per second.

So yeah, there's a lot to Blutricity. And there's a lot of reasons I didn't write RF to be like it.

*Technically, RF is a simple wrapper and exchange format for a number - that number could easily be seen as "energy potential," aka "voltage." Somebody with enough time on their hands who really wants to waste CPU cycles on a differential equation solver could absolutely replicate AC-style power using RF.
http://fnetpublic.utk.edu/
is the kind of stuff I'm doing.
*trajing claps
Now, can we focus on gameplay for once, instead of optimization?[DOUBLEPOST=1403575070][/DOUBLEPOST]

That might have been @Omicron. He doesn't post here all that often any more which is a shame. He usually had something good to say about these sorts of things.

Edit: Lawbroken picked the guide out, cool
Yup, that's it.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

I mean how machines also function like cables. You put two solar panels next to each other and you only need to wire one up. And I think it also works for machines.
Also this system would be a great idea for an upgrade for some thermalyexpanding machines. :D

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
But could they? It wouldn't work the way other mods expect it to, so it would probably lead to free power loops or crashes.

RF is not just a wrapper for a number, it's that plus the conventions that the number is an amount of stored energy, and that a piece of coal is worth 16000 of it, and that a vanilla-equivalent smelting operation uses 2000, and that energy can be inserted from certain blocks and only extracted from certain other blocks, and that almost everything should use the "insert" and "extract" operations to transfer energy (rather than "get number" and "set number"), etc...
I'm not saying it'd be perfectly cross-mod compatible, just that somebody could do it. But it'd be just like Blutricity in that regard too, I suppose. ;)
Not to be mean in any way here....
As im sitting here reading this i just.. well.. feel that your a *tad* jealous or just don't like Eloram.
You would be incorrect on both counts. There's really nothing to be jealous of. Blutricity is a really neat system and it's one I basically code up every single day. I just won't ever run something like it on a single-threaded process.

I actually like Eloraam fine (yes there are two a's in her name, this thread title drives me nuts); she has never been anything but nice towards me, and for the most part, she's a class act. I admit, I'm one of the people who would dare suggest that a quick, "Hey my life got busy, I have to take a break," tweet would have been reasonable and warranted before vanishing for 10+ months.
*trajing claps
Now, can we focus on gameplay for once, instead of optimization?
That's what we do the vast majority of the time. It's understanding that the underlying frameworks have to be optimized so that the game is even playable.

Take IC2 (not exp). The power system - in theory - was extremely engaging and thought provoking, requiring optimization. In practice, we all know it was never that. Especially with Compact Solars.

Even BuildCraft has come around to this notion that tile-by-tile power loss is a bad thing, only because players overbuild to the point where the mechanic is no longer legitimately constraining, but still affects the tick rate.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
[Repeat #???] I dislike RF. Also, it doesn't really operate like Blutricity.

This makes less since than you seem to think it douse. Explane why you don't like RF and what advantages you see in Bt. And don't just say the shape of the wires.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
This makes less since than you seem to think it douse. Explane why you don't like RF and what advantages you see in Bt. And don't just say the shape of the wires.
Blutricity has a fairly complicated recharge. Every machine starts charging at a certain rate. Battery Boxes start charging at 2bt/t, and export at 1 bt/t. That way, you can't charge a battery box with another. You can't have multiple "Buffers" along the way, it had to be direct.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
That's what we do the vast majority of the time. It's understanding that the underlying frameworks have to be optimized so that the game is even playable.

Take IC2 (not exp). The power system - in theory - was extremely engaging and thought provoking, requiring optimization. In practice, we all know it was never that. Especially with Compact Solars.

Even BuildCraft has come around to this notion that tile-by-tile power loss is a bad thing, only because players overbuild to the point where the mechanic is no longer legitimately constraining, but still affects the tick rate.

True, no mater how much someone might think otherwise Minecraft is a creative game. And requiring hard math to make your builds kinda breaks the flow. But the alternative is to fiddle with things over and over again until you figure out what is wrong. And is the current Minecraft modding environment there are many other things I could be doing with my time.[DOUBLEPOST=1403577639][/DOUBLEPOST]
Blutricity has a fairly complicated recharge. Every machine starts charging at a certain rate. Battery Boxes start charging at 2bt/t, and export at 1 bt/t. That way, you can't charge a battery box with another. You can't have multiple "Buffers" along the way, it had to be direct.

And you think complicated is a plus? And you know you can charge one battery with another in real life. Portable cell phone battery chargers do it all the time.

Reactions: RedBoss

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't care about what happens to RedPower at this point because Multiple mods have replicated most if not all things about this and even improved them. In fact I don't really care for the tubes, TE "ducts" are far less complicated and a lot better IMO.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is so easily misunderstood that I'll stop with a few things.
-IMO, fun = complicated - tedious
-
trajing said:
Immibis doesn't bug me. KL, now that's a different story.
BTW, that isn't an insult, it's me stating that you need to cool down and realize that not everyone will like your mod, and you need to eventually cool down and take opinions into view. Not use what they say, just occasionally cool down and let people have differing opinions.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I get it that Eloraam is kinda of a big deal but I still think that the talk about her modding resumption is strange. I don't think other mods/modders would ever be talked about like this. Furthermore, while its completely fine (read, none of my concern) if someone doesn't like any particular mod, some of the criticism sounds like this "do you know what the problem with this modding community is, too many mod developers".

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I get it that Eloraam is kinda of a big deal but I still think that the talk about her modding resumption is strange. I don't think other mods/modders would ever be talked about like this. Furthermore, while its completely fine (read, none of my concern) if someone doesn't like any particular mod, some of the criticism sounds like this "do you know what the problem with this modding community is, too many mod developers".
Again, I enjoy RP, but Eloraam will disappear again, and that will create a million Where's RP? threads.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is so easily misunderstood that I'll stop with a few things.
-IMO, fun = complicated - tedious
-
BTW, that isn't an insult, it's me stating that you need to cool down and realize that not everyone will like your mod, and you need to eventually cool down and take opinions into view. Not use what they say, just occasionally cool down and let people have differing opinions.

Er...I don't actually know where you stated, "Immibis doesn't bug me. KL, now that's a different story."

I never saw that anywhere, nor did I interpret any of your statements as such. And I think you're ascribing emotion where there isn't any on my part. I'm just giving you an explanation of why RF is the way it is, since the only comment I really saw from you was, "bleeegghh RF." Please don't confuse responsiveness for emotional investment - I have no personal stake in your enjoyment of any mod, including my own. I'm all for people having differing opinions.

Hate for that to come out as, "I really don't care what you think." But it's true - I don't care what anyone thinks, as long as they have the facts and can come to an educated opinion; hence why I gave you an under-the-hood explanation of Blutricity and RF. It's a different story if your opinion were uneducated and you were willfully ignorant, but I give people the benefit of the doubt there.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
It seems this is more of a modding debate thread more than a "eloram is back guys! yay!" thread.... is that not what this was intended for? just to get the word out and that's it?

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
She is back, nice and all. Hopefully RP3 will be even more innovative than RP2 already were. New and more frequent cross-mod interactions would be nice too.

I still await for the come back of the mighty dragon lord, it has been over an year already... meanwhile, gregtech does a good job.

Reactions: xbony2

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
It seems this is more of a modding debate thread more than a "eloram is back guys! yay!" thread.... is that not what this was intended for? just to get the word out and that's it?
Now it's turned into a debate thread.
Er...I don't actually know where you stated, "Immibis doesn't bug me. KL, now that's a different story."

I never saw that anywhere, nor did I interpret any of your statements as such. And I think you're ascribing emotion where there isn't any on my part. I'm just giving you an explanation of why RF is the way it is, since the only comment I really saw from you was, "bleeegghh RF." Please don't confuse responsiveness for emotional investment - I have no personal stake in your enjoyment of any mod, including my own. I'm all for people having differing opinions.

Hate for that to come out as, "I really don't care what you think." But it's true - I don't care what anyone thinks, as long as they have the facts and can come to an educated opinion; hence why I gave you an under-the-hood explanation of Blutricity and RF. It's a different story if your opinion were uneducated and you were willfully ignorant, but I give people the benefit of the doubt there.
IMO, "I don't care about your opinion" is the best quality a person can have. http://www.xkcd.com/774/ is a prime example of what annoys me with most people. They have absolutely no tolerance for other people's opinions. I'm glad to know that you aren't just yelling at people for no reason, and I suppose my post didn't contain much information on why I dislike RF, I considered it unnecessary because it's stapled all over this forum.
function stopYelling(resolved)
traUtil.giveStop()
why = traUtil.generateLogicalReason()
traUtil.end('argue', why)
end
stopYelling(true)
EDIT: Yes, I know that resolved doesn't have any effect on the function. Deal with it.
EDIT: Fixed the link to xkcd.[DOUBLEPOST=1403583092][/DOUBLEPOST]
She is back, nice and all. Hopefully RP3 will be even more innovative than RP2 already were. New and more frequent cross-mod interactions would be nice too.

I still await for the come back of the mighty dragon lord, it has been over an year already... meanwhile, gregtech does a good job.
*draws pentagram*
@Reika is better.

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

You must be new... to the internet. All threads get derailed. Most are derailed more than they are on rails.
But to be precise the "What's new in moded minecraft" thread is the closest to posting raw information. Dedicated threas are largely for soaking up all that extra discussion.

Reactions: RedBoss

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Now it's turned into a debate thread.

IMO, "I don't care about your opinion" is the best quality a person can have. http://www.xkcd.com/775/ is a prime example of what annoys me with most people. They have absolutely no tolerance for other people's opinions. I'm glad to know that you aren't just yelling at people for no reason, and I suppose my post didn't contain much information on why I dislike RF, I considered it unnecessary because it's stapled all over this forum.
function stopYelling(resolved)
traUtil.giveStop()
why = traUtil.generateLogicalReason()
traUtil.end('argue', why)
end
stopYelling(true)
EDIT: Yes, I know that resolved doesn't have any effect on the function. Deal with it.
he didn't say he had no tolerance for your opinoin, he just said he didn't care. Thats like me say i don't care about a game. It doesn't mean that i cant be within 10ft. of that game, just that i don't like it and could care less if it was around.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
You must be new this is the internet. Where all threads get derailed.
I've seen threads stay on topic. This is unique to reddit and these forums, from what I've seen.[DOUBLEPOST=1403583275][/DOUBLEPOST]
he didn't say he had no tolerance for your opinoin, he just said he didn't care. Thats like me say i don't care about a game. It doesn't mean that i cant be within 10ft. of that game, just that i don't like it and could care less if it was around.
It seemed that way when he was talking to others. Now I successfully corrected my mistake, and we can all go on with our lives.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not saying it'd be perfectly cross-mod compatible, just that somebody could do it.
Being not perfectly cross-mod compatible would defeat half the point of RF (and half the reasons it's popular).

That's not a good reason to remove something. You could do things the easy way, and get reasonable efficiency, or you could optimize things and get near-perfect efficiency - this is more applicable to IC2 than Buildcraft. Optimization was never required, although some very vocal people who would not settle for <100% efficiency might have made that impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.