Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
Basically this whole thing boils down to simple cause and effect
  • Cause: More intricate power systems are overshadowed in traditional packs
  • Effect: Put the intricate power systems in packs where they will shine

i'm totally agreed with you. even in unleashed ( for me) te ore processor outshines ic2.The only reason why i need eu network is to power a recycler,compressor,a mass fabricator, and to charge tools. Me network and ore processing goes from mj.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Regardless of which modpack or who's creating it, you still need permission from all mod authors. FTB modpack creators do exactly the same thing as everyone else who makes a modpack.
Excluding those who give blanket permission, of course.

Obligatory SAR (Smart A#@ Remark), because I can't help myself...

Why would they give Michael Jackson's son permission?

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone remember when Tekkit did something akin to this?

It massively benefited gameplay. It felt like one game, rather than the random assortment of mods the Monster pack has now. However Tekkit was missing a lot of major MJ mods FTBers were used to so I didn't use it (it only had power-using mods and no Forestry/Railcraft). But it encouraged me to ditch IC2 from all private packs I've made since. This became a bit of a problem for when TE switched to RF. This made Tekkit seem a lot less integrated. Nobody used MJ any more, which was a shame and there became two power systems completely destroying the unified feel.

In short, past evidence says this move will make FTB feel like a game rather than a mish-mash of features.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Does anyone remember when Tekkit did something akin to this?

It massively benefited gameplay. It felt like one game, rather than the random assortment of mods the Monster pack has now. However Tekkit was missing a lot of major MJ mods FTBers were used to so I didn't use it (it only had power-using mods and no Forestry/Railcraft). But it encouraged me to ditch IC2 from all private packs I've made since. This became a bit of a problem for when TE switched to RF. This made Tekkit seem a lot less integrated. Nobody used MJ any more, which was a shame and there became two power systems completely destroying the unified feel.

In short, past evidence says this move will make FTB feel like a game rather than a mish-mash of features.
Agreed. 10 unified, sensical packs are much better than a monster mash modpack.
Nothing beats an actual monster mash, though.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion TE is just an easymode copy of most IC2 stuff with a different name and a different super-easy power system.
TE has 3 things in common, a power system, an ore processor and a powered furnace. TE has it's own set of balance and TBH IC2 isn't hard it's just tedious. This is the post of some-one who has never used TE.

Welcome to FTB forums Greg :p:D
Greg has made it evident many times he likes and uses TE.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Wait .. hang on just a minute.. is all this drama because FTB are planning packs better and to be more themed..

You mean WHAT THE MAJORITY OF PLAYERS HAVE BEEN ASKING/BEGGING FOR ?!

Well that's just fine wtf is with all this drama?!
Because people like being angry. that and misinterpretation. And cainotophobia.

Kegnarok

Jul 29, 2019
As Greg said himself, he actually likes TE but completely disapprove his cheapness and amount of energy produced by default. I totally agree with him : TE is a great mod, good looking and easy to use. (Btw, I'm not bringing back the subject of balance here, I'm sure Jaded and Eyamaz will come up with great modpacks with their own balance each).

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, i'm not too sure how to feel about this tbh.

On one hand, one power system to rule them all sounds nice. On the other hand, I think the main reason these backwater power systems are overshadowed is that it is generally not worth the time to pursue. To me, this brings the image of a seriously ill patient in a UCLA hospital; instead of treating the symptoms (i.e. making it worthwhile to think outside the RC boiler box), limbs are being amputated.

but...not my site, not my packs. hope it all works out for the best.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Eh, i'm not too sure how to feel about this tbh.

On one hand, one power system to rule them all sounds nice. On the other hand, I think the main reason these backwater power systems are overshadowed is that it is generally not worth the time to pursue. To me, this brings the image of a seriously ill patient in a UCLA hospital; instead of treating the symptoms (i.e. making it worthwhile to think outside the RC boiler box), limbs are being amputated.

but...not my site, not my packs. hope it all works out for the best.
If the "backwater" power systems are on their own in a pack however... it's worth it to pursue them because there's no other option.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
If the "backwater" power systems are on their own in a pack however... it's worth it to pursue them because there's no other option.

Still don't understand the logic behind any of this.

Instead of making them attractive to play with, let's ship them off to Siberia.

Blazze909

Jul 29, 2019
All I can say is that this is extremely exciting and interesting. I LOVE LOVE LOVE RF.
I really like the way y'all are handling this, because if someone for some reason DOESN'T like RF, well they can go get themselves a different pack.
It kinda just satisfies everybody.
Thumbs up to both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.