[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
To craft Grasspers for the "Holding On" quest in the Witchery quest line you as asked to place a chest 'with Long Grass on each side'. This was somewhat confusing because I thought it meant to only place 2 grass, one on each side of the chest. After consulting the Witchery site i saw that i need to surround the chest. Perhaps you can change the wording to be 'with Tall Grass on every side'?

"Each" is synonymous with "every," the only difference being in connotation; each implies individual units grouped together one by one as a set, every implies all units in a more collective sense, so as you can see, even the minor difference between them is virtually nil. The wording is as clear as it can get without explicitly stating the exact number of sides, and you're the first person I've seen that's had that problem (I could also add that other Witchery rituals like that have a four-sides set-up and not a two-sides, and while I don't know for sure, I'm fairly certain that one of the books documents such types of rituals).

Raetac

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, the Witchery books are not as descriptive as, say the Botania in setting up such constructions and relies on the website to teach people how.

Reactions: fimbrethil

MrPeach774

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, the Witchery books are not as descriptive as, say the Botania in setting up such constructions and relies on the website to teach people how.
I thought one of the books had pictures for the witchery things now, the herbalism one i think....

Reactions: TestyMan

Ten

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to pop in to say hi, and thank you for this modpack. After some issues cropping up with the last (custom) modpack installed on my private server, I wiped the server and went in search of a modpack that might suit the friends I play with. This one has been great. There's three of us playing together right now, with others planning to join in the server later, and the three of us currently playing all have different preferences and playstyles. This pack has been great for that, because we all have something to do and are doing our own thing, and yet we've been able to cooperate to make a large base that suits all of us. I've really enjoyed the customization you've put into the modpack, and the way you've meshed the various mods so that they all make sense together. I'm looking forward to seeing what future updates might bring.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
"Each" is synonymous with "every," the only difference being in connotation; each implies individual units grouped together one by one as a set, every implies all units in a more collective sense, so as you can see, even the minor difference between them is virtually nil. The wording is as clear as it can get without explicitly stating the exact number of sides, and you're the first person I've seen that's had that problem (I could also add that other Witchery rituals like that have a four-sides set-up and not a two-sides, and while I don't know for sure, I'm fairly certain that one of the books documents such types of rituals).
Nevertheless, "each" is the most ambiguous of the words that could have been used here. The clearest phrasing would have been "with Long Grass on all four sides." Being clear is a good thing.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Heck when I did that quest I put 8 grass around the chest. The ritual worked fine, but only 4 graspers were made.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Hm - the only real question then would be if it would fail if less than 4 tall grass were placed. I'm not particularly eager to try it, since getting the Zombie to cooperate was annoying as all get out. I was thrilled that Graspers were reusable.

EDIT:

I'm fairly certain that one of the books documents such types of rituals).

I had a quick look in the Herbology book, and the descriptions of how to get the various plants is even sketchier than the Quest Book.

Grasper: A curious plant that holds whatever it is given. Mutate this plant from tall grass and an empty chest.
Critter Snare: Small creatures are this plants [sic] prey, it never gives them up. Mutate this plant from saplings, a web, and a zombie. (I was obviously thinking of this one when I made the post above.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MakakPL

MakakPL

Jul 29, 2019
Hm - the only real question then would be if it would fail if less than 4 tall grass were placed. I'm not particularly eager to try it, since getting the Zombie to cooperate was annoying as all get out. I was thrilled that Graspers were reusable.

you can always make zombie spawn egg :)

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
you can always make zombie spawn egg :)

Somewhat of a moot point, since the Zombie was for the critter snares, and I now have a breeding population of owls and toads, but I did end up doing that at one point. Zombie wasn't too cooperative about getting into the web the first time around.

Pooka

Jul 29, 2019
I'm happy to see there's still activity for this modpack. I apologize if this has been covered already, but there's 561 pages of stuff! I'm having a lot of trouble with crosbreeding crops. It's not working in many cases. (I'm having no luck with melon seeds, for example) and I can't seem to make/plant any magic crops. Out of frustration I cheated and gave myself an essence seed but then couldn't plant it. I LOVE this pack. I love that I can work on it at my own speed. I love that it's got so many quests. But SO MUCH of it depends on me crossbreeding crops that I'm frustrated to the point of giving up. Help!

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
I'm happy to see there's still activity for this modpack. I apologize if this has been covered already, but there's 561 pages of stuff! I'm having a lot of trouble with crosbreeding crops. It's not working in many cases. (I'm having no luck with melon seeds, for example) and I can't seem to make/plant any magic crops. Out of frustration I cheated and gave myself an essence seed but then couldn't plant it. I LOVE this pack. I love that I can work on it at my own speed. I love that it's got so many quests. But SO MUCH of it depends on me crossbreeding crops that I'm frustrated to the point of giving up. Help!

There's a FAQ in the second page of this post, I suggest you start either there or with a basic thread search. Also, you shouldn't be having any issues if you actually read the questbook, given how it tells you how to do these things.

Reactions: Pooka

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Essence Seeds require Tilled Garden Soil. The Essence Seed is made by tossing wheat seeds into mana, not via crossbreeding, and to crossbreed crops both need to be fully grown and the child crop needs to be able to grow on the spot the cross crops are on. For instance cross-breeding sugarcane or cactus will need either sand or red sand under the cross-crops.

Pooka

Jul 29, 2019
Essence Seeds require Tilled Garden Soil. The Essence Seed is made by tossing wheat seeds into mana, not via crossbreeding, and to crossbreed crops both need to be fully grown and the child crop needs to be able to grow on the spot the cross crops are on. For instance cross-breeding sugarcane or cactus will need either sand or red sand under the cross-crops.
Thank you! That is how I got my other essence seeds, now that you mention it. I forgot. But the melon cross-breeding still isn't working for me. I haven't tried it on tilled garden soil, though. I'll do that now!

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Magic Crops need to be planted on Tilled Garden soil. Crossbreeding is very random-number-generation dependent. Make sure both of your 'parent plants' are fully mature. I would always double my chances by planting the two parents diagonal to each other and setting up two cross-crops adjacent to them.

Reactions: Pooka

Pooka

Jul 29, 2019
Magic Crops need to be planted on Tilled Garden soil. Crossbreeding is very random-number-generation dependent. Make sure both of your 'parent plants' are fully mature. I would always double my chances by planting the two parents diagonal to each other and setting up two cross-crops adjacent to them.
Thank you! This has been working great for me now. I think I just had a run of bad luck trying to get the melon seeds, since I do have them now. Now that I've got all the garden soil out, I'm doing so much better with things and back to loving the pack madly! :)