What's new in modded minecraft today?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
In the end, if you have both MFR's new chunk loader and ChickenChunks or Dimensional Anchors in a pack as they are now, people will obviously use the ones that doesn't cost energy to run. So maybe someone should tell ChickenBones or immibis to add a config option to nerf their loaders, if you want to give someone a reason to use alternatives other than server friendliness (because most people don't care at all about that).
I'm happy with this though, as I don't have any form of chunk loading in my poor guy's pack in order to try slimming it down.

Many server owners ban CB's and Dimensional Anchors and RC anchors because they have bugs or are too cheap. As a pack creator I have been looking for an option that was light on server, didn't have the intermittent issues CCC has and was more configurable than Dim Anchors or RC Anchors. Players always want packs to include a chunkloader of some sort. This allows us to include one that has a decent cost without including a separate mod.[DOUBLEPOST=1391830301][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wait, so which one IS the most server friendly / less laggy / optimal / performance awesome?

Currently in testing , so far, pending any new bugs/issues . The MFR one is the lowest profile, and doesn't have the oddball intermittent chunk issues from cross mod conflicts that some of the others have. Of course right now its still in testing so something may popup. A lot of the chunkloader bugs in packs are cross mod issues, so having another way of doing it that so far bypasses those cross mod problems, and has a decent continuous cost is something us pack creator are looking forward to. Maybe not as exciting for players.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't set it up yet but RC chunkloaders let you set time they run per unit of fuel and let's you set the ID of the item to be used as fuel. So you could make them run 12 hours on a block of coal coke if you wanted. This mfr one does seem handy though.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one who kind of hopes most modders won't move over to 1.7 too quickly? It'd be nice to have 1.6 be a stable version for a while, since not many of the vanilla 1.7 features matter to me. Applied Energistics 2 being 1.7 (iirc) does entice me though...

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one who kind of hopes most modders won't move over to 1.7 too quickly? It'd be nice to have 1.6 be a stable version for a while, since not many of the vanilla 1.7 features matter to me. Applied Energistics 2 being 1.7 (iirc) does entice me though...

I agree with you for the most part but I'll be glad to get more biomes without having to have a huge biomes mod installed.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Forge 10.12 for Minecraft 1.7.2 is now officially out there.

Major super congratulations to LexManos, cpw, and all the myriad contributors to Forge for getting this out the door. You guys rock.

awesome news to hear. and I must say, it's taken alot less time then I thought it'd take

Many server owners ban CB's and Dimensional Anchors and RC anchors because they have bugs or are too cheap. As a pack creator I have been looking for an option that was light on server, didn't have the intermittent issues CCC has and was more configurable than Dim Anchors or RC Anchors. Players always want packs to include a chunkloader of some sort. This allows us to include one that has a decent cost without including a separate mod.[DOUBLEPOST=1391830301][/DOUBLEPOST]

Currently in testing , so far, pending any new bugs/issues . The MFR one is the lowest profile, and doesn't have the oddball intermittent chunk issues from cross mod conflicts that some of the others have. Of course right now its still in testing so something may popup. A lot of the chunkloader bugs in packs are cross mod issues, so having another way of doing it that so far bypasses those cross mod problems, and has a decent continuous cost is something us pack creator are looking forward to. Maybe not as exciting for players.

do you perhaps know if this new chunkloader has an option to only work when the owner of that chunkloader is online? because that's also a reason why server owners mostly ban chunkloaders, to stop people from plunking one down, and just disconnect but leave all their chunks running...

there's 1 and only 1 reason why I'd want to switch over to 1.7... those damn item/block IDs

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
a small what's new in modded world today, and that's yet another update from @Vazkii for Botania

Vazkii said:

and I've been noticing that more and more mod developers are starting to create their own Patreon, or a website similar to Patreon with some benefits to becoming a monthly subscriber (or whatever you may call it) and it had me thinking, what do all of you think about mod developers giving subscribers a certain benefit or what may mod developers do, and may not do in your opinion concerning Patreon

for example I saw one mod developer providing Forgecraft 1 dev releases to subscribers, which is in my opinion fair, because usually those dev releases can contain bugs or are unbalanced, so they shouldn't be releases to the whole public just yet. but the problem is what prevents those subscribers from just passing along the dev release to others?

there's also some mod developers who try to post their patreon link often. which is fair, as long as it doesn't become obnoxious. perhaps mods could add their own patreon command in their mods so if you were to type a command like /donate "modname" it would give you the link to their patreon page. I wouldn't like it if mods would post the patreon link everytime you log onto your world, because if more mods started doing this, you'd have pages of text of patreon links. I also wouldn't like to see this as a configurable option, as then you'd be forced to edit the configuration for each and every mod. though I would not mind if mod developers would post their patreon links in their mod description posted in the mod list inside Minecraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: John.E

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
160RF/t ..... each chunk loaded will take a 2 dedicated dynamos to keep loaded. Yes once you have a full power system going it'll be easier. However that is still better then "hey grab some gold and a diamond and free infinite chunk loading." It also so far in testing does not have the bugs several of the other chunkloaders have had. If you don't use any chunkloaders then I can understand why it doesn't matter to you. But for a lot of people who want a stable chunkloader with some cost attached its a good thing.

Oh I care about them. Its just your cost argument that I disagree with.

I gues my argument is realy that: In a server environment, where a chunkloader is always active, the power of a chunkloader is decided by the amount of automation one has. To the point where a single loaded chunk becomes the most powerfull thing to have(16x16x256 is a huge area). So powerfull that its impossible to put a balanced price tag on it. It would be huge, not even close to 160 RF/t or a few diamonds/gold. Its like the inverse of iron/enderpearls. In the beginning iron and enderpearls have a value because they are hard to get. But once you have a iron golem farm/Enderman farm in the end, the value of iron/enderpearls is gone. A chunkloader does the oposit, in the beginning a chunkloader isnt annything special, but once you have alot of automation it becomes the be all end all block of your base... For a very small 160 RF/t.

Dont get me wrong though, anny type of performance improvement is a plus. Bringing that as your argument to cheer for it I can understand and will happely make me cheer along with you :)

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
@Skyqula you just made me have an interesting though. What if everything was given a price, say in IC2 industrial tokens or emeralds, something like that, and as the prevalence in the average number of that item in each player's inventory and all chests of any item increased, then its value would slowly go down. It would be like a stocks system, for minecraft. And it would be epic.

Reactions: SkyBoy96

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
I have always been kind of conflicted about Chunkloaders. On the one hand, as @Skyqula says, they are immensely powerful, and would need at least a high cost.

On the other hand, I have always felt that chunks unloading is less of a game mechanic, but rather just a technical limitation of the engine. From that standpoint, it seems completely fine to just use a cheap block with no upkeep to keep chunks loading. It's hard to justify that things like automining or farms need the player to be at an arbitrarily close distance to them for them to work. Stable systems should not become unstable just because you decided to do something else for a while.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
I hope that there will be options to disable them. Seems like it might be a nice toy for SSP but for a server I don't need more reasons for my players to build big power plants.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I hope that there will be options to disable them. Seems like it might be a nice toy for SSP but for a server I don't need more reasons for my players to build big power plants.

Just like every other block in MFR... its disableable. Its one of the things I love about MFR. You can disable the block using normal server tools, or you can disable just the crafting recipe , which means admins could still use them just people couldn't make them.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not totally sure it was today, or yesterday, or when at all, honestly, but Forbidden Magic recently got it's third cross-mod compatibility wand core, this time the Witchwood Wand for AM2 users to power your Thamaturgy with your AM2 Mana, as well as some bugfixes and assorted goodies such as wand caps.

this, this I like, alot, a whole lot