What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Wagon123, cool, but: what am I looking at here? It looks a bit like railcraft tanks but not quite, and they're full of...something.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
@Wagon123, cool, but: what am I looking at here? It looks a bit like railcraft tanks but not quite, and they're full of...something.
The first spoiler is Big Reactors from the Big reactors mod. Great for massive RF Generation.
Filling them with water/Liquid Ender increases efficiency and power production.

FangzWuff

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my current one 4 Railcraft Steam boilers 72 Steam Dynamos Charcoal fueld from MFR treefarm, 6 Hydrokinetic Engines, 1 Big reactor Liquid ender cooled. Totaling about 8k RF/t

Is on my own server with some friends, relatively new world, so not the much buildt yet, Still need a better power supply, tho I'm outa ideas ^^ and the Boiler room is already pretty laggy.

oyHXJw2.png

9zkySMF.png

N19f63u.png

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my current one 4 Railcraft Steam boilers 72 Steam Dynamos Charcoal fueld from MFR treefarm, 6 Hydrokinetic Engines, 1 Big reactor Liquid ender cooled. Totaling about 8k RF/t

Is on my own server with some friends, relatively new world, so not the much buildt yet, Still need a better power supply, tho I'm outa ideas ^^ and the Boiler room is already pretty laggy.

2014-03-31_12.31.48.png

2014-03-31_12.32.24.png

2014-03-31_12.32.42.png

your images are broken. you may want to use imgur to host your screenshots at

Dark Of The Moon

Jul 29, 2019
You guys put your power generation in rooms? I'm one of those people that just throw it down wherever I am(close to my base) and just route wires/whatever to what I need.

FangzWuff

Jul 29, 2019
You guys put your power generation in rooms? I'm one of those people that just throw it down wherever I am(close to my base) and just route wires/whatever to what I need.

Actualy I just threw it out on the ground a few blocks away from my dirt square with machines :p
tho it tends too end up as a house/room or several like I did here. ^^ natural progression, also it being in one place limits any potential lag or explosions too one area ^^

Also I switched my 72 Steam dynamos with 36 MFR steam turbines doing the same job but with no lag :) steam dynamos lag so much when in large numbers

your images are broken. you may want to use imgur to host your screenshots at

better now?

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I just finished (I think) my power setup in our current world. Haven't really used anything besides boilers before, but this time I tried the compact windmills (Monster).

They have a fairly big cost in terms of iron (probably at around 100k total now), but it's a nice step up from boilers in terms of output without FPS / TPS impact. They're convenient to place high up in the air out of the way, and then teleport the power down using power converters and tesseracts.

I also like them because they give a reason to go through with the IC2 mass fab setup ordeal (for iridium rotors) and something to use quarried resources on.

Output from the setup is a constant 65k RF/t (16384 EU/t) without any maintenance or fuel.

cTWqYxi.png

kvUKmXu.png

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
on the new smp realm. i'm running off of witches and blazes via autospawner powered by bee xp (still working on that, cheaty turrets until then).

36 reactant dynamos running off of energized glowstone and blaze powder. 2880'ish rf/t, minus running costs...so far.
BrotoFg.png

used to be a boiler room. thinking about stacking more dynamos in here. two crucibles are sustaining these 36, and could handle more tbh.
T5eS7VU.png

Last edited:

Jack Hunt

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning to build a very big power building and I already have a design in mind, but I have a couple questions to ask to the community before starting the build. Here they are:
Can you pass EU through a energy tesseract?
Should i build it close to my factories or should I build it relatively far away?
Is it possible to make a sensor to see if your reactor is overheating, and then have it automatically turn the reactor off?
And on a unrelated note, whats the easiest way to get silver?
(Keeping in mind that I'm on Unleashed.)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I'm planning to build a very big power building and I already have a design in mind, but I have a couple questions to ask to the community before starting the build. Here they are:
Can you pass EU through a energy tesseract?
Should i build it close to my factories or should I build it relatively far away?
Is it possible to make a sensor to see if your reactor is overheating, and then have it automatically turn the reactor off?
And on a unrelated note, whats the easiest way to get silver?
(Keeping in mind that I'm on Unleashed.)

1. No, but you can use an energy bridge to convert it to MJ and send it like that. If you want to stick with pure EU, glass fibre cables are really affordable in 1.5 and have really low power loss over distance.

2. Up to you, i'd build it close enough for you to access easily. I tend to make my power room directly behind or beneath my machine room, but if you want a separate building for it, it makes sense to have it close by.

3. I don't think so. The fission reactor from atomic science has a thermometer and control rod thingy but I don't think the IC2 version does. Another reason to keep your power station nearby (and blast shielded), everyone i've seen use the IC2 reactor has related a story of at least one meltdown. HINT: reinforced blocks :)

4. Unleashed has two mods that add it, it's pretty common below y=25. Or just get a quarry :)

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my power room has changed since January. I've moved to HP steam boilers, I have two at present, looking to expand that to four, each boiler is also running a steam turbine housing for EU production.

2014-04-06_23.09.21.png 2014-04-06_23.09.45.png

I haven't yet tried to emulate DW's amazing auto miner, I kind got obsessed with Applied Energistics, automated manufacturing and more power :)

-Wuffle

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
My power room was looking fairly underwhelming, just a wall of geothermals and a lava tank, with a cable coming down from the roof from my windmills. A few MFSUs, energy bridge and a couple of resonant energy cells.

But it's looking up now, I've started toying about with Bigreactors, so there should be something hefty coming soon :)

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
It's still a work in progress but here goes (FTB Ult. on 1.4.7 - *mumbles about other players and redpower*):

Turtle automated wheat farm:
- Turtles plant, bonemeal then harvests the wheat. Refills themselves with bonemeal and places wheat and excess seeds in the chest above
- There's a router system for distributing bonemeal and retrieve the wheat and excess seeds
dGhx0zf.png

Fuel & Bone meal Maker:
- Collects and maracates bones from 2x T5 spawners and sends the bone meal to the wheat farm
- Turns the wheat and seeds from the farm into plant balls. Plant balls get sent to fermenters, biomass turned into biofuel/ethonal.
- Im still running on apatite+sand for fertilizer. If anyone has a good design for moisteners, I'd be glad to see it
8F1o8yT.png

Power station:
- Currently I have 24x 36HP liquid boilers with plans to add another 24
- 24 Hybred solar panels, and 1 Ult. Hybred solar panel
- For every two boilers there's an HV power producer
- For every four boilers there's a liquid tesseract for steam used for powering build craft things via PowerConverters
qA02jlO.png

Current Power Output:
- 7232 EU/t
- 1920 Steam/t sent through liquid tesseracts
- 3008 Steam/t Unused (1280 unused due to not having liquid tesseracts)

*: I'm still not using the full amount of steam a boiler makes per tick. Even if the HV producers and liquid tesseract's transport were maxed, per boiler I'm making 72mb of extra steam. That's currently a total of 1728mB/tick of extra steam, and 3456mB/tick when finished

Last edited:

McGreed

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding having your machines near your power stations, it does have it's advantage of having everything in as few chunks as possible, since from what I heard, it helps the server as there is fewer chunk updates.
However there is ONE thing you should always think about: Have your water supply in the same chunk as your engines/power station. One of the number one reasons for blowing stuff up is that water supply got cut off because it was in a chunk that got unloaded while the engines was in a active chunk.
When planning your layout, it helps to use F9 to get chunk limits grids. Really useful. Might not be an issue if you have a chunkloader that keeps everything running, but good planning always helps. :)

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
The water supply depends on HOW you plan to generate power. But in general, always make sure if your power-station needs water, when its loaded, so is your water source, but that goes for all resources your station needs. As far as close vs. far is concerned, it really depends on the situation:

Moving energy via tesseracts you lose 25% of the input energy
Moving energy via cables, energy is lost dependent on distance

Starting out, I'd suggest having your station close to your machinery but once you have a decent supply of resources you can work around losing such energy. Examples:
- If running a steam boiler, instead of attaching engines directly to the boiler then moving their outputted power via tesseracts, use a liquid tesseract to move the steam, and supply the engines with steam on location
- Using 2 IDSUs: One at your power station for charging, then another where your machinery is located
- Use a remote charging station for RedPower, forestry, etc where batteries charge a batbox on site of the machinery, dead batteries are returned to the power station for charging, charged batteries are returned to the machinery site for use.

Power converters are your friend as well. Instead of generating Steam, and then using an engine/turbine to create EU, and then another engine for MJ and then having to have another, and completely isolated, power supply for Forestry Power, they allow for you to have one large station for power generation and convert, 'almost' loselessly, between the energy types(MJ, EU, Steam, Forestry, etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

lukethedude

Jul 29, 2019
The water supply depends on HOW you plan to generate power. But in general, always make sure if your power-station needs water, when its loaded, so is your water source, but that goes for all resources your station needs. As far as close vs. far is concerned, it really depends on the situation:

Moving energy via tesseracts you lose 25% of the input energy
Moving energy via cablings, energy is lost dependant on distance

Starting out, I'd suggest having your station close to your machinary but once you have a decent supply of resources you can work around losing such energy. Examples:
- If running a steam boiler, instead of attaching engines directly to the boiler then moving their outputted power via tesseracts, use a liquid tesseract to move the steam, and supply the engines with steam on location
- Using 2 IDSUs: One at your power station for charging, then another where your machinary is located

Power converters are your friend aswell. Instead of generating Steam, and then using an engine/turbine to create EU, and then another engine for MJ and then having to have another, and completely isoloated, power supply for Foresty Power, they allow for you to have one large station for power generation and convert, 'almost' losslessly, between the energy types(steam, MJ, EU, Steam, Forestry, etc)
Tesseract no longer gave loss iirc