What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If we're simply creating bigger and bigger reactors to show off, can I just take a tiny reactorcraft one (which produces 160k on a small scale) and make it 10x bigger? :p
(I'll have to learn proper cooling methods, though, ugh)

Reactions: Padfoote and Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
If we're simply creating bigger and bigger reactors to show off, can I just take a tiny reactorcraft one (which produces 160k on a small scale) and make it 10x bigger? :p
(I'll have to learn proper cooling methods, though, ugh)

Isn't showing off the only reason to do anything at all with these mods? :D

Reactions: immibis and Pyure

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
*gets some popcorn and waits for the first to have a huge hole where his/her reactor used to be. May be waiting a long time*

Maybe on the next mod update.

https://github.com/erogenousbeef/BigReactors/blob/master/Roadmap.md

Depending on how the meltdowns are implemented it may never happen to me though. Only my reactor profiling ComputerCraft program would run the reactor at full-tilt. Peak efficiency (from a fuel consumption perspective) occurs at lower temps.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I've been side-lined with some Agrarian Skies fun; my left pinkie is sore from pressing shift for hours on end.

But: digi-miner in silk touch mode, plus RotaryCraft 5x processing allows for some enormous reactor builds!

You mean similar to my x4 DigiMiners in silktouch mode coupled to my completely automated x5 processing? :p

Reactions: whd23

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I'll have to take pictures later, I somehow lost them...

but the end result of my BigReactor's current setup

4gA2OTW.png

I don't normally run it full bore like that. Thanks to the awesome @whd23 I have a program that determines the best rf/t per mb, and runs it until the buffer is full, then shuts it down until it's at 10% buffer, and does it again. It's much more fuel effecient than what's shown in the picture above...but can certainly handle any power surges I may need.

I haven't completed my BR setup yet, but how did you get this inferface, or is this the one that appears after it's done ?

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't completed my BR setup yet, but how did you get this inferface, or is this the one that appears after it's done ?
You'll get that interface when you click on the BigReactor controller block after the multiblock reactor has formed.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Started another world. I do that a lot.

Here's my power area; it comprises three small underground rooms right now.
2014-05-03_09.33.10.png

First room is a ReactorCraft fission reactor. You can see that it is chunkloaded and has its own water supply. I cheesily vent waste into a garbage can for now.

2014-05-03_09.33.31.png

From above you can see I'm using 7 reactor cores at the moment. I used to use 9, but I found I could get by with fewer by surrounding them with Neutron Reflectors. So, what you're seeing is 7 cores surrounded by boilers, surrounded in turn by reflectors, with steam being pumped out the top of the boilers.

2014-05-03_09.33.47.png

This is where the steam goes. Its driving a single turbine at the moment; I doubt I'm creating enough steam for more but who knows. Steam is condensed above and voided purely to mitigate lag, which is considerable otherwise. The power fluctuates madly but seems to be on average around 930MW. Bedrock shafts take the power to the next room.
2014-05-03_09.34.22.png

So far all we have here is a simple Aurora battery. I say simple, but it honestly took hundreds of diamonds to make.
2014-05-03_09.54.19.png

It also holds an absurd amount of power (around 50 billion RF if you're curious. Billion with a B.) The reactor is increasing that last "Stored Energy" digit about 1 per second (since we're generating nearly a GW). Power goes up out of the power corridor into the base proper.
2014-05-03_09.34.57.png

We're not doing a ton with the power yet; I'm currently tearing down tons of obsolete infrastructure and re-wiring the base. This is basically what the utility halls will look like (2 machines wired so far)
2014-05-03_09.36.19.png

What you see is an electricraft wire exiting the power room below and connecting to machines via a few gidgets.

First it hits a resistor, which ensures I'm not sending more power to a given machine than I want to. The closest one is receiving around 2GW, the second one 16GW.
Second it his a relay, which lets me disconnect power completely when I don't want to use it. Both machines are currently connected to a ExpandedRedstone "Chest Reader", which is outputing a signal when their inventory is empty (ie, they have no work to do). This in turn gets inverted via NOT gates and flips the relay. This lets me power a machine by giving it work.

Well, back to it.

CrazylikE

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all!

Im a dummy when it comes to mods generally, and I was wondering if anyone would like to help me figure out a good early game power setup, without pumps because they are banned. In the past, I have been going the infinite lava from nether pump method, but I cant do that on this server with this modpack. It has the following mods btw.
Minecraft coder Pack
Forge Mod Loader
Minecraft Forge
Applied Energistics Core
CodeChicken Core
Evoc
Immibis's Microblocks
Micdoodle8 Core
MobiusCore
Not Enough Items
OpenEye
PowerCrystals Core
Tinkers Corestruct
OpenModsCore
BuildCraft
Additional Buildcraft Object
CoFH Core
Universal Electricity
Forge Multipart
Thermal Expansion
IndustrialCraft 2
Immibis Core
Advanced Machines
Aesthetic Beacons Mod
Agriculture
Ars Magica 2
Antique Atlas
Applied Energistics
bspkrsCore
ArmorStatusHUD
Autoutils
BD Lib
Bibliocraft
Natura
Biomes O' Plenty
BiblioWoods Biomes O'Plenty
MineFactory Reloaded
Forestry for Minecraft
BiblioWoods Forestry Edition
BiblioWoods Natura Edition
Big Reactors
Buffed Tools
bUpload
OpenComputers (Core)
CalclaviaCore
Carpenter's Blocks
Chisel
DiyoTweaks
DummyCore
Thaumcraft
Railcraft
Electro-Magic Tools
Ender IO
EnderStorage
Extra Utilities
Factorization
Galacticraft Core
Galacticraft Mars
GenDustry
Gravitation Suite
Glowstone Wire
Hats
Hopper Ducts
Nuclear Control
iChunUtil
InGame Info XML
Inventory Tweaks
Iron Chest
Waila
JABBA
Liquid XP
Logistics Pipes
Modular Force Field System
Modular Flower Pots
NEI Addons
NEI Plugins
NotEnoughCodecs
OpenMods
OpenBlocks
OpenComponents
RedLogic
OpenComputers
Opis
MapWriter
Profiles
Redstone Arsenal
Refined Relocation
Remote IO
Simply Jetpacks
Special Mobs
Statues
StatuesEffectHUD
Steve's Carts 2
Switches
Tinkers' Construct
TiC Tooltips
Tinkers' Mechworks
Torched
Traincraft
Translocator
UsefulFood
Witchery
WR-CBE Core
WR-CBE Addons
WR-CBE Logic
Minecraft Multipart Plugin
Thaumcraft Mob Aspects
Forge Microblocks
and IC Pump, BC Pump and Ender-Thermic Pump are all banned.

I was hoping to do something automatic. Right now I have an Energy Cell that I fill up with Steam Dynamos fueled with coal and water, but its a hassle since I have to fill them up manually, and often.

Hopefully someone will have some tips for me :p

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I was hoping to do something automatic. Right now I have an Energy Cell that I fill up with Steam Dynamos fueled with coal and water, but its a hassle since I have to fill them up manually, and often.

Aqueous accumulator surrounded by water will fill your dynamos automatically.
Also a tree farm (MFR or forestry, whichever) will supply you with fuel for more dynamos than you can possibly spam :)

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Hey all!

Im a dummy when it comes to mods generally, and I was wondering if anyone would like to help me figure out a good early game power setup, without pumps because they are banned. In the past, I have been going the infinite lava from nether pump method, but I cant do that on this server with this modpack. It has the following mods btw.
Minecraft coder Pack
Forge Mod Loader
Minecraft Forge
Applied Energistics Core
CodeChicken Core
Evoc
Immibis's Microblocks
Micdoodle8 Core
MobiusCore
Not Enough Items
OpenEye
PowerCrystals Core
Tinkers Corestruct
OpenModsCore
BuildCraft
CoFH Core
Universal Electricity
Forge Multipart
Thermal Expansion
IndustrialCraft 2
Immibis Core
Advanced Machines
Aesthetic Beacons Mod
Agriculture
Ars Magica 2
Antique Atlas
Applied Energistics
bspkrsCore
ArmorStatusHUD
Autoutils
BD Lib
Bibliocraft
Natura
Biomes O' Plenty
MineFactory Reloaded
Forestry for Minecraft
Big Reactors
Buffed Tools
bUpload
OpenComputers (Core)
CalclaviaCore
Carpenter's Blocks
Chisel
DiyoTweaks
DummyCore
Thaumcraft
Railcraft
Electro-Magic Tools
Ender IO
EnderStorage
Extra Utilities
Factorization
Galacticraft Core
Galacticraft Mars
GenDustry
Gravitation Suite
Glowstone Wire
Hats
Hopper Ducts
Nuclear Control
iChunUtil
InGame Info XML
Inventory Tweaks
Iron Chest
Waila
JABBA
Liquid XP
Logistics Pipes
Modular Flower Pots
NEI Addons
NEI Plugins
NotEnoughCodecs
OpenMods
OpenBlocks
OpenComponents
RedLogic
OpenComputers
Opis
MapWriter
Profiles
Redstone Arsenal
Refined Relocation
Remote IO
Simply Jetpacks
Special Mobs
Statues
StatuesEffectHUD
Steve's Carts 2
Switches
Tinkers' Construct
TiC Tooltips
Tinkers' Mechworks
Torched
Traincraft
Translocator
UsefulFood
Witchery
WR-CBE Core
WR-CBE Addons
WR-CBE Logic
Thaumcraft Mob Aspects
Forge Microblocks

At the risk of sounding like a dick, I think you should find another server to play on. If it's gonna bottleneck ya that much, especially early in the game, why bother.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
@CrazylikE I also suggest ditching that server, no matter how attached you are, if they're gonna ban the ender-thermic pump. Unless you can convince them it's even better then the GT advanced fluid pump(a uphill battle, but true regardless), leave them.
Unless they have an economy mod. Then get some help from Reika with advice on how to crash the economy by automating farming of everything you can automate farming.(aka everything except diamonds, unless they have IC2 but not GregTech, in which case, everything straight up)

Reactions: Padfoote

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
@CrazylikE I also suggest ditching that server, no matter how attached you are, if they're gonna ban the ender-thermic pump. Unless you can convince them it's even better then the GT advanced fluid pump(a uphill battle, but true regardless), leave them.
Unless they have an economy mod. Then get some help from Reika with advice on how to crash the economy by automating farming of everything you can automate farming.(aka everything except diamonds, unless they have IC2 but not GregTech, in which case, everything straight up)
I played a vanilla server like that with my friends, they had a /sell command that let you sell *anything*. We annihilated that economy with a massive underground automatic cactus farm. Don't need any mods for that, though with mods could probably significantly speed up growth rates and collection.
@CrazylikE: You can use Extra Utilities for the liquid transfer nodes, if they haven't banned that, too. If worse comes to worse you can use Railcraft to make water tanks (think that's the name) and extract water from those.

CrazylikE

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your comments guys. Im not ditching the server, so I guess ill check out the tree farm thing, thank you malicious_bloke :)

So, from the tree farm, what fuel do I get that I can use? Saplings? Gah.. the newbness in me.

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
Hey all!

Minecraft coder Pack
Forge Mod Loader
Minecraft Forge
Applied Energistics Core
CodeChicken Core
Evoc
Immibis's Microblocks
Micdoodle8 Core
MobiusCore
Not Enough Items
OpenEye
PowerCrystals Core
Tinkers Corestruct
OpenModsCore
BuildCraft
CoFH Core
Universal Electricity
Forge Multipart
Thermal Expansion
IndustrialCraft 2
Immibis Core
Advanced Machines
Aesthetic Beacons Mod
Agriculture
Ars Magica 2
Antique Atlas
Applied Energistics
bspkrsCore
ArmorStatusHUD
Autoutils
BD Lib
Bibliocraft
Natura
Biomes O' Plenty
MineFactory Reloaded
Forestry for Minecraft
Big Reactors
Buffed Tools
bUpload
OpenComputers (Core)
CalclaviaCore
Carpenter's Blocks
Chisel
DiyoTweaks
DummyCore
Thaumcraft
Railcraft
Electro-Magic Tools
Ender IO
EnderStorage
Extra Utilities
Factorization
Galacticraft Core
Galacticraft Mars
GenDustry
Gravitation Suite
Glowstone Wire
Hats
Hopper Ducts
Nuclear Control
iChunUtil
InGame Info XML
Inventory Tweaks
Iron Chest
Waila
JABBA
Liquid XP
Logistics Pipes
Modular Flower Pots
NEI Addons
NEI Plugins
NotEnoughCodecs
OpenMods
OpenBlocks
OpenComponents
RedLogic
OpenComputers
Opis
MapWriter
Profiles
Redstone Arsenal
Refined Relocation
Remote IO
Simply Jetpacks
Special Mobs
Statues
StatuesEffectHUD
Steve's Carts 2
Switches
Tinkers' Construct
TiC Tooltips
Tinkers' Mechworks
Torched
Traincraft
Translocator
UsefulFood
Witchery
WR-CBE Core
WR-CBE Addons
WR-CBE Logic
Thaumcraft Mob Aspects
Forge Microblocks

EnderIO has the Ender-Thermic Pump. Is that banned as well? If it is, that's just sad.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
You can in fact use Gendustry to speed-rush some bees and trees to get saplings that are ridiculously efficient. I'm producing 12k RF/tick and that's a mere fraction of the potential (only one full size forrestry farm producing the saplings) even at less than the possible efficiency (by using water in the fermenter and compression dynamos instead of RC boilers).