What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't really done much with magical mods.

Why? What's so good about obstacles?

Some mods have done this in their own ways. There's Unstable Ingots, which not only require diamonds (not really a problem) but also are extremnely difficult and dangerous to craft with (cue the compulsive braggers saying "it's easy lol"). There's compressed cobblestone, which I think is an inspired idea, taking the resource that everyone always had far too much of, and switching it around so that no-one ever has enough of it. Genius. Ok, well those are both Extra Utilities. EnderIO has those soul vial things that are a bit of a throttle. And I still can't get me an enderman head. But that's more of an RNG annoyance than a resource gate.

well unstable ingots are also kind of a RNG problem because you have to "find" a division sigil to get them. Although correct me if I'm wrong but when you kill the with it's guarenteed drop isn't it?

I like the compressed cobblestone thinggie but I considered that more of a time sync rather than resourse. I hook up a cobble gen (either transfer node or igneous extruder) to a chest with an autopackager and a pipe that routes everything from the output chest to the input chest and let the ifninte loop go till I have enough. It's time more than anything else.

The enderman head, I just let my MFR spawner go and go and poked my head in a window I made and hit them with a tinker's sword with beheading on it.

I'm not truly complaining though. I do wish the DW20 mod had sync or that mode that makes bedrock one flat layer at the bottom instead of the jagged ground we all know and love. I do enjoy my automation. :D I will go about killing the wither, and the ender dragon and exploring the twilight forest soon.... setting up self sustaining automation at the moment. ;)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Most mods are created in a vacuum, although some keep a watchful eye on the rest of the modded playing field for balance. That said, the only natural gates are custom world gen (which a good number of people hate mods that add one ore specific to only that one mod) and access to certain areas. These vanilla checkpoints are the Nether and the End.

Most mods have things you cannot build unless you have access to the Nether. These are gated with things like blaze rods, ghast tears, nether quartz, and even nether brick. Once you gain access to the nether, middle game is pretty much upon you.

The End doesn't have quite as many unique drops or blocks as the Nether, so access to a metric shit-ton of pearls is the only real way to verify that a player has in fact reached the End. Once you have been to the End and slain the dragon, you've "beaten" vanilla Minecraft. This is why it is "the End" after all. Once you get there, end game is upon you.

Now, certain mods can quickly throw this out of synch. As discussed, an autospawner can give you all the blaze rods, ghast tears, or pearls you could ever want. Enough even to seem like you've conquered the End, even though you've only scraped together enough resources to make an autospawner and capture the first enderman you saw. Now with more and more mods adding ways to spawn mobs, the problem isn't as easy as just dropping MFR from your pack.

Personally, I'd like to see more useage of end stone, although if TiCo is in your pack you can make your own. I guess this is the true danger when balancing mod packs - one uses a gate to which another provides an easy key.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
As discussed, an autospawner can give you all the blaze rods, ghast tears, or pearls you could ever want.

Now this is something I've despised since the beginning on modded MC and even before that. Manually created spawners. Even vanilla one can bring you infinite mob drops, which should not be the case <.<

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Now this is something I've despised since the beginning on modded MC and even before that. Manually created spawners. Even vanilla one can bring you infinite mob drops, which should not be the case <.<

Now with cursed earth, MFR grinders, and reactant dynamos, they offer infinite power too.

Last edited:

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see reactant dynamos as inifinte. The RNG isn't always kind and the fluxuations of power... you'd have to have quite a few grinders and many many dynamos. I think it would be impractical.

Especially with options like big reactors (all hail the power of yellow) :p

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see reactant dynamos as inifinte. The RNG isn't always kind and the fluxuations of power... you'd have to have quite a few grinders and many many dynamos. I think it would be impractical.

Especially with options like big reactors (all hail the power of yellow) :p

Funny, I had this same conversation with a friend on our server. I decided all power I generate has to originate from a mob grinder for this play through to prove a point.

Early game was hard, as you are indeed at the mercy of RNG. Once you have cursed earth though, its over. I augmented a single reactant dynamo for fuel efficiency and it constantly powers 6 MFR grinders on a 10x15 cursed earth patch (now retractable with drawbridges, for maintenance). The gunpowder is more than enough to run three more dynamos augmented for power output.

The next trick is pitting a blaze spawner on that cursed earth. Infinite blaze rods from the farm will now power yet more dynamos until my Big Reactor turbine is assembled. At that point all blaze rods are shunted to steam production duty, while an MFR autospawner spawns ghasts for more efficient fuel via tears.

You're right when you say it would take many reactant dynamos if I was to go solely that route, but the same is true if you're running your base off magmatics. Let's face it, powering the server off the blood and tears of the enemy is cooker than lava any day.

For all the doubters, remember that any system that generates more fuel than it uses is indeed infinite,. Rven if the net power is minimal, it is a constant backbone of endless production.

Edit: Not sure why it never crossed my.mind before, but I'll be autospawning creepers until I get my ghast setup in place. This should make enough constant gunpowder to power at least a half dozen more dynamos (I think that's conservative).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Funny, I had this same conversation with a friend on our server. I decided all power I generate has to originate from a mob grinder for this play through to prove a point.

Early game was hard, as you are indeed at the mercy of RNG. Once you have cursed earth though, its over. I augmented a single reactant dynamo for fuel efficiency and it constantly powers 6 MFR grinders on a 10x15 cursed earth patch (now retractable with drawbridges, for maintenance). The gunpowder is more than enough to run three more dynamos augmented for power output.

The next trick is pitting a blaze spawner on that cursed earth. Infinite blaze rods from the farm will now power yet more dynamos until my Big Reactor turbine is assembled. At that point all blaze rods are shunted to steam production duty, while an MFR autospawner spawns ghasts for more efficient fuel via tears.

You're right when you say it would take many reactant dynamos if I was to go solely that route, but the same is true if you're running your base off magmatics. Let's face it, powering the server off the blood and tears of the enemy is cooker than lava any day.

For all the doubters, remember that any system that generates more fuel than it uses is indeed infinite,. Rven if the net power is minimal, it is a constant backbone of endless production.

Edit: Not sure why it never crossed my.mind before, but I'll be autospawning creepers until I get my ghast setup in place. This should make enough constant gunpowder to power at least a half dozen more dynamos (I think that's conservative).

why not use witch spawners instead? witchery adds world generation where you can find witch spawners, and you could use cursed earth under those witch spawners aswell, and witches drop gunpowder aswell, but also redstone and glowstone.

Reactions: Inaeo

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
why not use witch spawners instead? witchery adds world generation where you can find witch spawners, and you could use cursed earth under those witch spawners aswell, and witches drop gunpowder aswell, but also redstone and glowstone.

I'm not sure they provide a constant enough supply of gunpowder for my needs, but the supply of redstone and glowstone does make the spawner attractive. I have a coven circle not too far from home. Maybe I'll take my dolly for a walk tomorrow...

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure they provide a constant enough supply of gunpowder for my needs, but the supply of redstone and glowstone does make the spawner attractive. I have a coven circle not too far from home. Maybe I'll take my dolly for a walk tomorrow...

well, the thing is, those with spawners from witchery always generate 2 spawners per generation, so if one spawner isn't enough you can always use 2.
I always use the gunpowder from the witch spawners myself for fuel and they can always keep up pretty well.

whd23

Jul 29, 2019

My current Infinity base power is derived from witches via Blood Magic (not a strict mob-grinder, but the witches could be replaced by a patch of cursed earth I suppose).

I have about 12 witches under a Well of Suffering feeding a T5 altar. Three lava crystals bound to my LP network are heating three max-size Railcraft HP boilers which in turn produce enough steam to keep my Big Reactor turbine generating 24k RF/t.

Perpetual torment powers my base, and that's the way I like it.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that apparently RazzleberryFox is ProfMobius' girlfriend. Who would've thought that?

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered this today, don't look into the tesseract.

007dd25331d9f2d431c7f659289cc48d.jpg