What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I vaguely remember that someone, a while back, analyzed TiCo tool materials in depth and found that a pickaxe with cobalt head, paper binding, and thaumium/paper rod with (at least) 100 redstone was about as fast as, if not faster than, a damaged full Ardite pick with 100 less redstone.

However, that was quite a while ago (before the Tool Forge and associated tools, IIRC), and things may have changed since then. It was also back in the days when the Electric upgrade (no flux yet), when applied to an almost broken tool, would still let the tool work at maximum speed all the time. I've heard that's changed as well, making it much harder to actually get the most out of your Stonebound/Jagged tools and weapons.

I might have to experiment with TiCo at some point and see if the above is still true, and how it applies to hammers and the Flux upgrades. I wonder if there's any way to run down the durability faster than just mining with it, though...

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I refuse - on principal - to add knock back to a weapon by adding a piston as I just cannot conceive in my mind of the result being a viable thing.

If you haven't ever snuck up behind someone with a frying pan fully loaded with knockback modifiers and walloped them one, you should consider a change to your lifestyle.

It's hilarious.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I refuse - on principal - to add knock back to a weapon by adding a piston as I just cannot conceive in my mind of the result being a viable thing.
TiC really annoys me as a mod that adds so much depth. And then just takes the piss by adding stupid alloys and ridiculous tool upgrades.
To me, Minecraft is a cartoon. Exploding shrub-monsters? Floating landscapes? Teleporting men in black? Slime cubes? Infinite water? I gave up on any expectation of realism when I first punched a block out of a tree and it didn't fall down. I guess it's all about personal expectations.

adamich

Jul 29, 2019
I fail to see any exemple where paper would beat cobble stone or slimes (let alone ardite). The modifiers just don't worth that much. How many do you need anyway ? flux + emerald + and lapis. you dont need much more...
if U has tons of redstone and use flux, then make paper tools and upgrade it with flux+redstone and U get MORE mining speed than with other materials.
paper blade with tons nether quartz will give U more damage then ardite/cobalt/maniline blades

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
if U has tons of redstone and use flux, then make paper tools and upgrade it with flux+redstone and U get MORE mining speed than with other materials.
paper blade with tons nether quartz will give U more damage then ardite/cobalt/maniline blades
No, there is better material. Ok give me a full design and I'll come up with something better using the same level of technology.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
You, sir, need to play Space Monkey Golf. Frying Pans of varying Knockback modifiers, Tropicraft monkeys (with MFR Reusable Safari Balls), and part of Galaticraft Moon landscaped into a golf field. Have fun.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
You, sir, need to play Space Monkey Golf. Frying Pans of varying Knockback modifiers, Tropicraft monkeys (with MFR Reusable Safari Balls), and part of Galaticraft Moon landscaped into a golf field. Have fun.

...that is genius.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019

I suggest you make the holes in TiCo smeltery. So you could count the blood remaining in the monkey to keep track of the score ?

Reactions: Pyure

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I suggest you make the holes in TiCo smeltery. So you could count the blood remaining in the monkey to keep track of the score ?
I think it was Random Things Entity Detector hooked up to a light that determined when you've made a "hole in one."

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I think it was Random Things Entity Detector hooked up to a light that determined when you've made a "hole in one."
A MFR Mob Counter should work as well for 1.7 packs (still baffled why the Entity detector was removed....)

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Today I discovered that a single ghast tear + 4 ender pearl + enderman + various machines and 12 hours = 10k + ender pearls I didn't have the day before.

This realization also rendered the understanding that when anyone wants to lock technology away in the "end game" chapter and keep it out of the begining or middle they use ender pearls as a wall. The rarity and difficulty in optaining them (normally) mean that things like tesseracts (LOL), ender anything, qed stuff, all needs ender pearls or some form of it in order to go forward with it. When ender pearls are no longer an obstical... there's not too much left that you can't optain tech wise. The one thing I can think of is MFR Laser precharger but if I remember correctly even that can built without ender pearls.

SIGH, wonder if we can discover a different and more widely diverse set of obsitcles to seperate the tech tree other than Pre-pearl and post pearl.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Today I discovered that a single ghast tear + 4 ender pearl + enderman + various machines and 12 hours = 10k + ender pearls I didn't have the day before.

This realization also rendered the understanding that when anyone wants to lock technology away in the "end game" chapter and keep it out of the begining or middle they use ender pearls as a wall. The rarity and difficulty in optaining them (normally) mean that things like tesseracts (LOL), ender anything, qed stuff, all needs ender pearls or some form of it in order to go forward with it. When ender pearls are no longer an obstical... there's not too much left that you can't optain tech wise. The one thing I can think of is MFR Laser precharger but if I remember correctly even that can built without ender pearls.

SIGH, wonder if we can discover a different and more widely diverse set of obsitcles to seperate the tech tree other than Pre-pearl and post pearl.
You mean nether stars?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Why? What's so good about obstacles?

Some mods have done this in their own ways. There's Unstable Ingots, which not only require diamonds (not really a problem) but also are extremnely difficult and dangerous to craft with (cue the compulsive braggers saying "it's easy lol"). There's compressed cobblestone, which I think is an inspired idea, taking the resource that everyone always had far too much of, and switching it around so that no-one ever has enough of it. Genius. Ok, well those are both Extra Utilities. EnderIO has those soul vial things that are a bit of a throttle. And I still can't get me an enderman head. But that's more of an RNG annoyance than a resource gate.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Some mods have done this in their own ways. There's Unstable Ingots, which not only require diamonds (not really a problem) but also are extremnely difficult and dangerous to craft with (cue the compulsive braggers saying "it's easy lol").
I guess the obstacle there is finding a division sigil or killing a Wither.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame