What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
That's gonna need a lot of water ^^
Yes. ExtraUtils liquid transfer nodes can produce a lot of water, though- one node with a stack of world interaction upgrades produces more than enough water for a max-size max-temp salination plant with an 8x accelerator on it. I only actually ran out of water when I got tired of it being so slow to fill the brine pipes and put a 256x accelerator on it.

I've heard that Pressure Pipes can produce water at Integer.MAX_SIZE mb/t, which should be enough to fill virtually anything instantaneously, although I haven't messed with or researched that mod yet.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Not cool, but today I discovered that TiCo gravel ores and nether ores (cobalt, ardite) cannot be mined with a turtle. Oh, it mines the block, but no ore is harvested. Trying to decide if I should just TurtleQuarry the nether anyway and take the loss on the cobalt and ardite. Leaning that way.

I think mining turtles are level 3 [diamond] and those ores are level 4 so alumite/ardite/cobalt/manuyllun tools are needed, if you can get a turtle to wield those.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
I think mining turtles are level 3 [diamond] and those ores are level 4 so alumite/ardite/cobalt/manuyllun tools are needed, if you can get a turtle to wield those.
Am I the only one who thinks that an addon for CC/TiC that made it so you could have turtles use TiC stuff would be awesome (if not slightly broken...)?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks that an addon for CC/TiC that made it so you could have turtles use TiC stuff would be awesome (if not slightly broken...)?
I suspect it would be hard to handle all the custom options for the tools. But there were/are a plugin that allows mining turtles with ic2 mining lasers. How it worked I never tested, but the normal laser mines cobalt and ardite just fine.

Reactions: null123

null123

Mar 27, 2014
I suspect it would be hard to handle all the custom options for the tools. But there were/are a plugin that allows mining turtles with ic2 mining lasers. How it worked I never tested, but the normal laser mines cobalt and ardite just fine.
But... But... my wall of turtles equipped with cobalt hammers and OP one shot rapiers, just going through the entire world and killing everything... :(

null123

Mar 27, 2014
It doesn't have to be TiC specific- if the addon can make the turtle hold the item and specify left/right click as needed.
That could work, but if I recall correctly, don't turtles have the capacity to use items? If that could just be changed to apply to tools/weapons/TiC stuff as well...

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
turtle.dig(), turtle.attack(), and turtle.place() are in vanilla CC, if I remember correctly, although I'm not sure which does what. I know a year or two ago, turtles could .place() RedPower screwdrivers on RP blocks to rotate them. So I don't see why they couldn't do the same with TiC tools.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That could work, but if I recall correctly, don't turtles have the capacity to use items? If that could just be changed to apply to tools/weapons/TiC stuff as well...
turtle.dig(), turtle.attack(), and turtle.place() are in vanilla CC, if I remember correctly, although I'm not sure which does what. I know a year or two ago, turtles could .place() RedPower screwdrivers on RP blocks to rotate them. So I don't see why they couldn't do the same with TiC tools.
But I would expect that it is not actually telling the turtle to swing the vanilla Diamond pickaxe. But instead it is just breaking a block according to programmed parameters. Now for it to work with all TiCo tools you would have to program all the different parameters of all the different combinations of parts, applications etc.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
A tinkers work table next to a vanilla chest gives access to the chests contents.

A tool forge next to a tinkers work table turns it into a tinker station that can be used to upgrade or repair items with up to 8 items at a time. Useful to rapidly apply redstone or lapis.

TiC tools like the excavator will place the block on their right when right clicked.

I really don't know how to make good tinkers tools that don't use rf. cobalt? Manyullun?

Reactions: Pyure

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
A tinkers work table next to a vanilla chest gives access to the chests contents.
Once you get used to this, it becomes really annoying that it doesn't work with Iron Chests.
A tool forge next to a tinkers work table turns it into a tinker station that can be used to upgrade or repair items with up to 8 items at a time. Useful to rapidly apply redstone or lapis.
Do you know if there's a way of turning off the call-out box to the right of the interface? It gets in the way of NEI.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I really don't know how to make good tinkers tools that don't use rf. cobalt? Manyullun?

Cobalt head for tools (max mining speed)
Manyullyn blade for weapons (damage)
Paper or thaumium for pretty much anything else (modifiers)

Pan with max modifiers and tons of pistons added is the funnest thing ever.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
Cobalt head for tools (max mining speed)
Manyullyn blade for weapons (damage)
Paper or thaumium for pretty much anything else (modifiers)
I fail to see any exemple where paper would beat cobble stone or slimes (let alone ardite). The modifiers just don't worth that much. How many do you need anyway ? flux + emerald + and lapis. you dont need much more...

@Chris Becke, there is a lot of material that are added from version to version and are not even documented anywhere, the best is to search your pieces in NEI and shift over them to read their stats to figure what material you have and is best for you.

For instance, right now I rush in early game a stone hammer with 2 electrum plates. For only 8 gold and 8 silver, it's amazingly efficient.

For later game, I'd be curious how fast could get an ardite hammer with a pink slime handle. And an emerald as modifier.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I fail to see any exemple where paper would beat cobble stone or slimes (let alone ardite). The modifiers just don't worth that much. How many do you need anyway ? flux + emerald + and lapis. you dont need much more...
It depends on what you're trying to get out of the tool.
For most people, that modifier means a faster pick (more redstone), or more damage (more nether quartz) or the ability to have all that great stuff plus also auto-repair.

An ardite tool may last longer but for things like binding parts, it doesn't contribute to the speed or damage, so you're much better off with paper.

disclaimer: my tico knowledge is 2 years old and possible out of date.

Reactions: xTordX

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
An ardite tool may last longer but for things like binding parts, it doesn't contribute to the speed or damage, so you're much better off with paper.
Ardite gives stonebound II which can easily reach a mean of 5 bonus speed, where a modifier of redstone would only gives 2. Even stonebound I from a simple piece of stone beat on a good durable tool the speed of a redstone modifier.

Even a full stone pickaxe with a single diamond modifier in order to mine redstone reach a stonebound bonus of 4. Would you really spend 100 redstone on that to make it faster with paper ? Anyway, once you have 100 restone, you likely have 16 iron ore to make the forge and make that stone hammer with electrum plate. So you that design would already be obsolete...

Edit: a full ardite hammer fully damaged (flux+emerald+lapis) reach 15 bonus speed. Much better then a +2 speed modifier.

Edit2 : Of course we could argue for years about the best design in TiCo, I was just questionning the "go to extra modifier for everything else" statement. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Slime parts add the slimy attribute. So that rules them out. Ardite makes a good handle with a high durability multiplier and it brings stone bound 2. Obsidian makes a good binding with reinforced 3. Thaumium is pretty crappy- makes an ok handle but paper is a much more convenient binding. Also it's durability is too low to really consider as a plate material.

Analysis of materials aside... It bothers me when I use an obsidian or paper binding as obsidian would be brittle. And paper is not strong enough to 'bind' things and will get wet and come apart. Stone (and wood) likewise seem unrealistic tool head materials.

I refuse - on principal - to add knock back to a weapon by adding a piston as I just cannot conceive in my mind of the result being a viable thing.

TiC really annoys me as a mod that adds so much depth. And then just takes the piss by adding stupid alloys and ridiculous tool upgrades.