What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Um. That's 8.

The more I use 8.1, the more I conclude that it's more intuitive than my beloved 7.

Basically it has the same search functionality as 7, the same number of keystrokes to get into what passes for the commandline in windows (lol) and most of the commonly used bits of control panel are helpfully listed in the right click menu of the start button.

8 was an abysmal shitshow, but 8.1 is actually not bad.

Server 2012 is cancer though, i'll gladly concede that
and then there are people like me who use the super (or windows) key + left click to drag windows around. use super and o to set a window to another screen. Use super+m to maximize a window or super+ shift + c to close it :p
(also, super+r + type the name of a program to run it or super+s if I want to do the same but this time with a "fancy" menu :p )

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
and then there are people like me who use the super (or windows) key + left click to drag windows around. use super and o to set a window to another screen. Use super+m to maximize a window or super+ shift + c to close it :p
(also, super+r + type the name of a program to run it or super+s if I want to do the same but this time with a "fancy" menu :p )
Windows key? What's that?

Don't think I have had a keyboard where I haven't had it disabled permanently (to avoid loosing focus in games etc.) for more than a decade.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Using the push/pull option on an EnderIO portable tank, allows easy automation of lava buckets in and out of inventories. Playing in 1.9.4 has limited options and I tried it in fueling the Stirling Generators. It's pretty sweet.

Reactions: rhn
P

PrometheusUnbound

The Minions mod by AtomicStryker really compliments Thaumcraft. Especially if you are going for a darker playthrough, with forbidden magics and such. Throw a little blood magic in there and youi have something nicely diabolical :)

M

Minecraftpawnda

That I can put a torch on my head in FTB departed. Smart thing, too bad it doesn't lit up as you wear it.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Finally found a use for pollen. Usually it's just an irritating byproduct of Industrious bees that sits in my inventory forever.

But apparently I can combine it with propolis to make slimeballs.

And then use the slimeballs to make magma cream for Jet fuel :)

M

Minecraftpawnda

I figured out how to get use for aluminium Berry bushes. And to supply my smeltery with them.

Very handy!

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I've discovered that if it ever happens again, I'd rather pay $200 for a used, refurbished Win 7 laptop than try to reinstall and recover vista.

(This laptop: AMD 2-processor. What we decided against: Intel core 2 dual.)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Immersive Engineering connectors work seamlessly with Buildcraft kinesis pipes.
caee2f88e322e144591bbcb2bb576e6f.jpg

For me its a cool building option, but I'm sure some of you lazy folks will enjoy converting between voltages without transformers.

Reactions: RedBoss

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Not today, but I've been cutting my teeth on WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) for the past few days. Compared to old WinForms, there's a lot of features I like: I can edit GUIs like web pages (using XAML), all I need are to set specific attributes and resizing is handled without a single line of functional code (all done in XAML), and its got tonnes of containers like grids and WrapPanels and so on that make laying things out very easy. No more manual layouts, no more resizing in the code-behind, and all this with a huge improvement in performance since WPF renders using DirectX instead of GDI. The only real problem I've had with it is the TreeView not having a facility to easily select a given element in code. With all that, and that being my (so far) only complaint, I have to say that I'm quite pleased.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
urrtMUN.png

In 1.9, you can use boats to capture mobs. I used several boats near my base as early Endermen traps. I still leave one in my base for lulz.

You can also ride tandem with another play or mobs in a boat if you need early game, neutral mob transport.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Apparently not. I've seen the vanilla Youtubers use this mechanic to move passive mobs around a lot. Not sure how it would work with zombies or skeletons.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.10 they will attack if you're within range. Especially the skeletons.

Still, great way to keep mobs in one place without a rail setup.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
"rail setup" "keep mobs in one place"

o.o

I just had an idea for the most horrifically evil mob farm imaginable. Get a small track circuit that runs in perpetual motion with booster rails. On the outer edge, right at mob-head level, is a row of spikes going around the entire circuit. A minecart picks up a mob (could likely have more than one cart, for efficiency), scrapes it along the spikes, and an item collector from XU picks up the drops and puts them into an ME interface leading to your AE storage.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
"rail setup" "keep mobs in one place"

o.o

I just had an idea for the most horrifically evil mob farm imaginable. Get a small track circuit that runs in perpetual motion with booster rails. On the outer edge, right at mob-head level, is a row of spikes going around the entire circuit. A minecart picks up a mob (could likely have more than one cart, for efficiency), scrapes it along the spikes, and an item collector from XU picks up the drops and puts them into an ME interface leading to your AE storage.
Doesn't Railcraft add a rail that can pick up players or mobs from a few blocks away? That'd be much more efficient than waiting for the mobs to wander onto your tracks. Also, instead of having spikes all the way along the track, you could have the track take the mobs to somewhere where they get dumped by that floating uploading track (Disposal Track, I think it's called), and then you'd have a long fall or an MFR grinder or a much smaller number of XU spikes to kill them.