What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Pam's Harvestcraft Animal Traps kick ass. A bit of string (cotton provides easy renewal) and some scrap veggies make bait, which the trap trades 1-1 for a number of things. The list includes several proteins, feather, eggs, bones, and... Wait for it... Leather. A passive generation of leather without need for an animal farm is fantastic, especially early on when you have other things to do than murder cows like some kind of @malicious_bloke wett dream

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Today I learned that Donnie isn't real, he's just a figment of Walter's imagination. Well, actually it was last Friday, and I'm still reeling from this revelation today, so I figure I might as well go ahead and post about it. Shut the F up Donnie, your outta yer element!

If the Dude played Minecraft, he might like this video... LOL

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
They're cheap to make, too. Great source for early game energy; animal traps for meat (beef, chicken, turkey, rabbit, etc.), cook drops in HarvestCraft Oven and use in Culinary Generators. I have a field of pumpkins, running their seeds through the Squeezer yields Cooking Oil (for Oven) and veggie bait (for traps).

Plus the bone drops for fertilizer, feathers for arrows/scribing tools, leather for books... Super clean and easy way to set up a low-impact operation early on. I also tried the fish traps, but since they require fish for bait, and use one bait per catch, I couldn't work out how to make food without incurring losses in the system. I'm also trying some fruit baits in the animal traps, can confirm that berries do _not_ work, which dampened my plans to use excess raspberries/blackberries for baits.

Edit: Sorry, this is in response to Inaeo's post #3078!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I also tried the fish traps, but since they require fish for bait, and use one bait per catch, I couldn't work out how to make food without incurring losses in the system.
The traps are decent for turning lesser food into better food, or (more commonly) for turning crappy bait into nice resources.

In some packs, I find it nice to get leather and slimeballs from the Pams traps.

Reactions: Greystoke

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The traps are decent for turning lesser food into better food, or (more commonly) for turning crappy bait into nice resources.

In some packs, I find it nice to get leather and slimeballs from the Pams traps.

I've not had slime in my trap. Does that happen only in slime chunks?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Naw. One of the fish-types you can get shapelessly converts to slimeballs. I *think* its jellyfish.

edit: confirmed.
http://ftbwiki.org/Raw_Jellyfish_(Pam's_HarvestCraft)

I haven't set up my fish trap yet. It's been manual fishing only (first time I've used a fishing pole in MC since Vanilla on my 360). Been taking the early game slow this time. Any other cool drops in the fish trap? I have it built, but no home for it yet.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Click thaumometer, hold cursor over object. It now scans automatically.

I don't need to individually remove items and drop them to scan any more.

[tbh this could have been a thing since the beginning of TC and i'd never of noticed because laziness]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I haven't set up my fish trap yet. It's been manual fishing only (first time I've used a fishing pole in MC since Vanilla on my 360). Been taking the early game slow this time. Any other cool drops in the fish trap? I have it built, but no home for it yet.
Off the top of my head, not really for the fish version
For the animal trap version, you can get lots of neat things that are useful if you don't like setting up animal farms.

http://ftbwiki.org/Animal_Trap

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Sticky pistons are a easy and convenient way to attach the alchemy and conjuration catalysts to the same mana pool and still be able to use it as a regular pool. Wished I had figured this out earlier. I usually end up devoting a entire mana pool to each and throwing stuff in the wrong pool.

SarcAndMiscGamer

Jul 29, 2019
Not necessarily a cool thing: I discovered the "new and improved" Curse Voice launcher. I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING! It looks like the for-shit windows-key menu from windows 8, and I can't, for the life of me, find Minecraft in general, modpacks in specific, nor create my own modpack in any way I can see. Am I just an idiot, or is there a button somewhere that I'm missing? All I can see now are a HUGE friends/chat bar which I don't use at all, and a bunch of unidentifiable tile-based buttons.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Not necessarily a cool thing: I discovered the "new and improved" Curse Voice launcher. I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING! It looks like the for-shit windows-key menu from windows 8, and I can't, for the life of me, find Minecraft in general, modpacks in specific, nor create my own modpack in any way I can see. Am I just an idiot, or is there a button somewhere that I'm missing? All I can see now are a HUGE friends/chat bar which I don't use at all, and a bunch of unidentifiable tile-based buttons.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the update either. It looks like Windows vomited on my screen. The button you want is the creeper on the left hand bar. Once in there, things are better and easier to use.

Reactions: SarcAndMiscGamer

SarcAndMiscGamer

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the update either. It looks like Windows vomited on my screen. The button you want is the creeper on the left hand bar. Once in there, things are better and easier to use.

Thank you. I hadn't even seen those buttons, or well, with the color difference(they blend into my desktop background) I couldn't tell it was attached to the actual client. Windows vomiting on my screen, as you said, is exactly how I feel, and why I couldn't see these buttons.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, Windows 8.1 start menu? You mean the thing that was purposefully butchered optimized for touch screens despite the fact that touch screens on PCs have been and always will be a pointless waste of tech and money? Can I...can I see it? A pain shared is a pain divided, after all.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
A filler from buildcraft makes setting up stone for the orechid much easier. I tend to mine it manually for the exp. I have a different setup for when I just want to let it run on its own.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
OpenPeripheral "Terminal Glasses" can be crafted with any helmet to apply them to said helmet... :eek:

I have always ignored them due to not being willing to sacrifice the helmet slot for the glasses.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Wait, Windows 8.1 start menu? You mean the thing that was purposefully butchered optimized for touch screens despite the fact that touch screens on PCs have been and always will be a pointless waste of tech and money? Can I...can I see it? A pain shared is a pain divided, after all.

Um. That's 8.

The more I use 8.1, the more I conclude that it's more intuitive than my beloved 7.

Basically it has the same search functionality as 7, the same number of keystrokes to get into what passes for the commandline in windows (lol) and most of the commonly used bits of control panel are helpfully listed in the right click menu of the start button.

8 was an abysmal shitshow, but 8.1 is actually not bad.

Server 2012 is cancer though, i'll gladly concede that

Reactions: SpitefulFox