Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wright

Jul 29, 2019
Still don't understand the logic behind any of this.

Instead of making them attractive to play with, let's ship them off to Siberia.

It's perfectly logical! Most people don't dwell with the other power systems and like to devote them selves to a single power system. This unification of the power systems promotes use of these other systems, which are the lesser, by them selves. I believe this devotion to TE, is much needed and hope to see more and more add-ons, and content to it. Power to them.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
How would you make them attractive without putting them in packs that don't include the simpler systems that over shadow them?
assuming they're all "equal" by default in terms of raw output, I would start by looking at each system and make the difficult, tedious, or non-automatable ones output more in line with the effort/materials it takes to run.

cost:benefit ratio must be better than the mainstream (ezmode) power sources.

Reactions: trajing

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
assuming they're all "equal" by default in terms of raw output, I would start by looking at each system and make the difficult, tedious, or non-automatable ones output more in line with the effort/materials it takes to run.

cost:benefit ratio must be better than the mainstream (ezmode) power sources.
Such a course of action would have been met with as much if not more hostility. Fiddling with the balance of a mod is a a deadly sin in this community. It is also rather disrespectful to the mod developer. FTB would have been accused of forcing their vision of how a mod should be balanced on the community. The only thing this would allow them to do would be to continue making the teetering, buggy, poorly themed massive conglomeration packs. They have been told through community feedback and shown through download numbers that those sorts of packs are a thing of the past.

Besides, the mods already do that naturally. You get more power from a proper boiler system than most other solutions. ReactorCraft produces insane amounts of power. Even IC2 brings nuclear reactors, which give you enough power to create matter. Extra power and capabilities have never drawn people to complexity. They still look for the simple, intuitive path.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Such a course of action would have been met with as much if not more hostility. Fiddling with the balance of a mod is a a deadly sin in this community. It is also rather disrespectful to the mod developer. FTB would have been accused of forcing their vision of how a mod should be balanced on the community. The only thing this would allow them to do would be to continue making the teetering, buggy, poorly themed massive conglomeration packs. They have been told through community feedback and shown through download numbers that those sorts of packs are a thing of the past.
Fiddling with power stuff is fine if you're making an ultra hard pack, though. Like multiplying power consumption by ten.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
yes, its difficult.

or the alternative is Siberia.
They aren't being outcast! Geez. Stop treating it like that. Other power systems ate going in their own packs, with a group of mods built around them, picked out especially for that power system. This makes a more cohesive, focused experience focused around the power system in question.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
Just curious will the mod packs not centered around TE be centered around a diffrent mod ie IC2 also will there be fat packs available like 1 or 2 per generation of mod packs?

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Just curious will the mod packs not centered around TE be centered around a diffrent mod ie IC2 also will there be fat packs available like 1 or 2 per generation of mod packs?
From what I've gathered, there will be some packs centered around various power systems, and other packs for different purposes, like quest packs and packs with certain themes, or centered around a specific mod, not necessarily a power system.

What do you mean by "fat packs"? You mean like monster? If so, I hope not.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've gathered, there will be some packs centered around various power systems, and other packs for different purposes, like quest packs and packs with certain themes, or centered around a specific mod, not necessarily a power system.

For monster packs, I'd guess that DW20 takes the place.

Reactions: Flipz

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro

Yes I do mean monster and why not? Sure it was not perfect but it had the most variety allowing for more people to at least agree on it

Rainbow edit: I managed to kill this thread muhahahaha!

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yes I do mean monster and why not? Sure it was not perfect but it had the most variety allowing for more people to at least agree on it

Rainbow edit: I managed to kill this thread muhahahaha!

It's not dead yet... It's feeling better.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
True monster has something for most people, but it turns out to be far too much. I just don't find packs that have every mod in existence in it to be very fun. While having one modpack that has a little bit for everyone, having 10 very different modpacks is much better. Then instead of a bit in the pack that pleases everyone, in this case there is a pack for most players. not only that, but for the peiople who do like every mod ever, the packs are going to be designed to support pack fusion. This means if you want a monster mash, you can combine the packs you want into one big conglomeration. The pack devs willing, I'll try to make the minetweaker stuff work with fusion. Meaning there may be recipes in the flagship pack that only activate when, say, IC2 is installed, or UE.[DOUBLEPOST=1398833111][/DOUBLEPOST]Relevant: http://www.reddit.com/r/FeedTheBeas...ter_an_enormous_amount_of_requests_ftb_makes/

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
True monster has something for most people, but it turns out to be far too much. I just don't find packs that have every mod in existence in it to be very fun. While having one modpack that has a little bit for everyone, having 10 very different modpacks is much better. Then instead of a bit in the pack that pleases everyone, in this case there is a pack for most players. not only that, but for the peiople who do like every mod ever, the packs are going to be designed to support pack fusion. This means if you want a monster mash, you can combine the packs you want into one big conglomeration. The pack devs willing, I'll try to make the minetweaker stuff work with fusion. Meaning there may be recipes in the flagship pack that only activate when, say, IC2 is installed, or UE.[DOUBLEPOST=1398833111][/DOUBLEPOST]Relevant: http://www.reddit.com/r/FeedTheBeas...ter_an_enormous_amount_of_requests_ftb_makes/

Only 317? I believe my master instance is currently bigger than that.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
That's new I have not seen that mod pack also excuse my French but how the fuck did they get all of the thaumcraft versions in one pack!!??!?!? 1.since when has there been a updated version of thaumcraft before 4 and 2. wtf would be going on with the thauminocon? Are there 3? that just seems *snotty rich voice emulator turns on* AMAZING

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
That's new I have not seen that mod pack also excuse my French but how the fuck did they get all of the thaumcraft versions in one pack!!??!?!? 1.since when has there been a updated version of thaumcraft before 4 and 2. wtf would be going on with the thauminocon? Are there 3? that just seems *snotty rich voice emulator turns on* AMAZING
It's a joke...

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Only 317? I believe my master instance is currently bigger than that.
312 mods. As in individual mods. Not 30 10-part mods bundled into one zip, I mean at least 300 files in the mods folder.
XD

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
They aren't being outcast! Geez. Stop treating it like that. Other power systems ate going in their own packs, with a group of mods built around them, picked out especially for that power system. This makes a more cohesive, focused experience focused around the power system in question.
Focused, cohesive...but all I see it doing is forcing people down a particular path in a modpack. I don't mind doing such things within mods themselves, like GT, but for the whole pack not so much. I guess it's a good thing I've stopped playing with modpacks.

Besides, the mods already do that naturally.
I'm off work so I can reply with what I wanted to initially.

They don't, though. You hit the nail right on the head in this next quote.

You get more power from a proper boiler system than most other solutions. ReactorCraft produces insane amounts of power. Even IC2 brings nuclear reactors, which give you enough power to create matter. Extra power and capabilities have never drawn people to complexity. They still look for the simple, intuitive path.
People gravitate to the lowest common denominator. Whichever power solution is going to be the least hassle for the most power is obviously going to be more popular.

Reika's mods aside, the other two power solutions you brought up are exactly what I'm talking about. A boiler has a very different cost:benefit ratio than an IC2 nuke. Think about it; who in their right mind would build a nuke when they can have a 32hp boiler fully automagically automated, producing ridiculous power with relative safety? Boiler doesn't cost copper/lapis/etc every cycle at that kind of output either. Nukes really aren't worth it; but should it be that way? What I'm saying is instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, why aren't things being tweaked to be more attractive for use?

Reika's mods are a prime example of what I mean. Yes, it is a huge pain to make, transfer, and use the power from one of his fusion reactors, let alone the cost (both in time and resources) of building the thing...But god damn is it worth it. Unfortunately not all mods are balanced the way Reika's are. Atomic science had configs to tweak power output last I checked, you would think other mods do as well.

If it were my call I would bring power output in line with the "pain in the ass" factor of the power solution in question, instead of banishing the tougher mods. It's not my call though, and these are only my opinions.

tldr; biscuits.

edit: and I apologize if this post sounds almost fearful. we'll see how it turns out, but I don't see any pack I'd be interested in playing being very popular after this, and as such good luck finding a populated server :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.