Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Realistically, any mod that just doesn't outright hurt the player is going to be unbalanced / OP compared to vanilla.

Does this make Blood Magic one of the few mods that is actually balanced against vanilla?[DOUBLEPOST=1398716235][/DOUBLEPOST]
TE3 seriously eats your redstone reserves, before energy conduits, redstone hardly had any use, now I can't get enough of it, thanks to TE3.
Well, you could make giant computers....

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
And while it's been stated a few times already...RF and TE are not the same thing. CoFHLib and Core are getting *major* overhauls for 1.7. Time (and other things) permitting, I'll be back a bit this summer and we'll probably completely refactor everything CoFH. :) Don't assume that the current state of things is how things will always be. If anything, the *only* constant you can assume at this point is that RF will exist - TE may or may not be a primary generator/consumer of it.
This is the best news I've heard all week. You're my mod-dev hero. You literally won me over. I hated the idea of TE at first, and then your stuff was just so good that I loved it.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
We're generally on track in here, but some quick notes on thread moderation in the News section:
  • This is not the place for Tech Support queries. That's here.
  • This is not the place to share whatever modding drama gossip you have today. We've had our fill. There are other places to indulge in that habit.
  • These threads are for discussion of specific announcements. If you start going far afield, don't freak out when you get reeled back in and posts disappear. The forum sections for general discussions for FTB in general and for mods in general are in their respective places.
  • If you are going to state something as though it is grounded in facts, general etiquette of polite society is that you are expected to present those facts in defending your position. The folks poking back most certainly will have done their homework. Get grandiloquent at your own (reputational) risk. If you bite off more than you can chew, moderators aren't here to bail you out or make those inconvenient other arguments vanish.
This thread isn't particularly problematic, I'm just a blowhard who likes the sound my keyboard makes while I type this kind of stuff and I'm noticing a slight uptick in some of these things here so I'm mentioning it before it gets out of hand. Y'all may continue. =)

FrostySVK

Jul 29, 2019
I dont feel comfortable discussing in this thread anymore, its like banging your forhead against a concrete wall, some people jst have their own world.
Last thing I want to say is that only time will show if this was the right decision or not.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Propably the most important thing in general is discussion about such things. That doesn't necessarily mean that oppinions will change, but it might bring up points that have gone by unnoticed.

I just noticed that Pahimar tweeted that he doesn't like the decision completly either, although a twitter-message doesn't allow to specify where he sees problems I pretty sure that he is vocal about his concerns towards the right people and with valid arguments there is still the possibility for changes.

Also considering that we don't really now how launchers look like in the future it is hard to really make an oppinion about it. Imagine you get a launcher that allows you to flag the mods you want and just uses these mods. So instead of modpacks with different installations (if you use the DW20-Pack, Magic Farm etc. you have 3-4 times TE3 installed etc.) you just switch the used mods and configs. Imagine servers provide the configs automatically, so you just need the mod-data. All these things would greatly change the use of a modpack.

The original idea behind a modpack was providing an easy way to install and use large amounts of mods. Thats why most earlier modpacks where really jammed with mods, because it wasn't that easy to just add a mod, it was easier to remove one. Nowadays it is the complete opposite. It is so easy to add a mod to a pack that there is no real need to try to jam as much mods into a pack as possible. So modpacks propably go more of a thematic route. Creating incredible large modpacks without any thought is something most people can easily do now by downloading the mods and putting them where they belong. The rest mostly works fine. But thats just a collection of mods, not really what you expect of a designed pack. So I think even though FTB might look into providing more different playstyles with their packs it doesn't mean that they don't provide the ability to use large packs. There might even be one large FTB-Pack for the maps and maybe we even get a button to merge two packs, which allows us to decide which of the overlapping configs we want to use.

Right now the only thing I read into the announcement is that they don't really see a need to create large random collections of mods, because it is very easy for user to do this themself. Instead they try to create packs which offer different experiences and play-styles. In the end that is probaply not what most people want, considering the popularity of packs like DW20, but than again Jadeds Packs proved that there are also a lot of people who really like to play something a bit different. And even most of these "smaller" packs like Magic Farm still have up to 100 mods inside, which is huge considering how many mods my minecraft had in Beta 1.8 or so :p

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
Break through alert! For 1.7 there should be a button on the 1.7 pack's called fusion when you click it, it opens a gui where you can select a second pack and once you do so it will combine the pack aaaaaaand DBZs fusion sound will turn on :D other than that I'm going to say that the shoving IC2 and BC is a bit unfair
seeing as IC2 has a built in conversion via electric engine where as thermal expansion does not offer a conversion ik it's not the FTB teams problem but it just seems like a jerk move from TE...

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Break through alert! For 1.7 there should be a button on the 1.7 pack's called fusion when you click it, it opens a gui where you can select a second pack and once you do so it will combine the pack aaaaaaand DBZs fusion sound will turn on :D other than that I'm going to say that the shoving IC2 and BC is a bit unfair
seeing as IC2 has a built in conversion via electric engine where as thermal expansion does not offer a conversion ik it's not the FTB teams problem but it just seems like a jerk move from TE...

1) IC2 does not provide conversion. Forestry and Railcraft do, although RC only provides 1-way conversion: Steam -> EU.
2) It has nothing to do with fairness, it's a code issue and it's been discussed to death. One does not simply accept MJ - you either make it the centerpiece of your tile entity, or you don't use it due to the insane restrictions of the API.
3) I already wrote up a Kinetic Dynamo before I left a few months ago. Wasn't hard, just no real push to get it out there. SpaceToad says that BC 6's power system won't be nearly as terrible, so we'll see.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
1) IC2 does not provide conversion. Forestry and Railcraft do, although RC only provides 1-way conversion: Steam -> EU.
2) It has nothing to do with fairness, it's a code issue and it's been discussed to death. One does not simply accept MJ - you either make it the centerpiece of your tile entity, or you don't use it due to the insane restrictions of the API.
3) I already wrote up a Kinetic Dynamo before I left a few months ago. Wasn't hard, just no real push to get it out there. SpaceToad says that BC 6's power system won't be nearly as terrible, so we'll see.
oh sorry there then i was not informed as to the reasons behind that

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I still think at the end of the day, why don't we all wait for packs to actually be advertised then make up our minds if we like them or not. Jaded said that there would be more options (different power systems for different packs etc). Direwolf will always have a fairly general mix of stuff for people who want a bit of everything, fret-ye-not. If you don't like the more themed packs, play something else or modify it (many of us do already...). For now, how about we trust these modpack creators to continue to be good at what they truly are good at making good packs.
Again I say this: 1.7 is seriously plug-and-play, add stuff to packs if you wish to, be sensible with "bug-reports" and no one will have any problems.

cindylo

Jul 29, 2019
That's the problem with anecdotal evidence. You end up basing your viewpoint off of your own personal preferences, and those of your friends. JadedCat has said more than once that public perception of what modpacks on the launcher get a lot of play is not at all consistent with the numbers, yet everyone still thinks that people only play the latest flagship pack.

How about instead of suspicion, paranoia, and anger, we as a community choose to exercise some trust, commitment, and gratitude to the folks that have been busting their asses so we can have an easy time playing large well-balanced modpacks? I'm sure that if what you want is not available on FTB, you can find it on another launcher.
I am basing what I said off what I see. I can say I have extremely few servers run the not major packs and have multiple people and they all agreed with my findings. Nearly all the servers I see run the major packs and nothing more at all. I can agree with Pahimar when I say I respectfully disagree with this move. In my honest opinion after reading this post and other things related to it is that it looks the way to mod devs if you don't use RF then piss off. And if you don't use RF in your mod you are making it won't be used in FTB. At which point the userbase drops significantly , and that in turn causes multiple issues.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I still think at the end of the day, why don't we all wait for packs to actually be advertised then make up our minds if we like them or not. Jaded said that there would be more options (different power systems for different packs etc). Direwolf will always have a fairly general mix of stuff for people who want a bit of everything, fret-ye-not. If you don't like the more themed packs, play something else or modify it (many of us do already...). For now, how about we trust these modpack creators to continue to be good at what they truly are good at making good packs.
Again I say this: 1.7 is seriously plug-and-play, add stuff to packs if you wish to, be sensible with "bug-reports" and no one will have any problems.
My friend, that's reasonable. Being reasonable is of the devil, we all know this.

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019
I am basing what I said off what I see. I can say I have extremely few servers run the not major packs and have multiple people and they all agreed with my findings. Nearly all the servers I see run the major packs and nothing more at all. I can agree with Pahimar when I say I respectfully disagree with this move. In my honest opinion after reading this post and other things related to it is that it looks the way to mod devs if you don't use RF then piss off. And if you don't use RF in your mod you are making it won't be used in FTB. At which point the userbase drops significantly , and that in turn causes multiple issues.
I feel like you and I must be on different forums. How do you define major modpacks? I look at the Server Promotion forum on the FTB site, and I see seven subforums. One of them for DW20, one for MindCrack, one for Agrarian Skies, one for Horizons, one for Monster, and one for Ultimate. The seventh is for "Other Modpacks." And you know what? That 7th forum has 780 servers listed. That is more than Mindcrack, Ultimate, Agrarian Skies, Monster, and Horizons combined. That is twice as much as DW20, which probably is the most popular single modpack on the FTB launcher. 780 servers decided they did not fit one of the other categories and should advertise elsewhere. I think that your idea of what servers get majority hosted is... flawed.

Speaking of hosting servers, do you know who hosts them? People with the time, energy, and MONEY to do so. It ain't free. To get a server hosted, the modpack has to inspire someone to want to play it. That is why you see packs like Mindcrack and DW20 have the most servers. People want to play the pack their favorite YouTuber is playing. You know what having 10 unique, diverse, interesting modpacks is likely to do? Give 10 unique, diverse, interesting options that might inspire someone to with the time and money to host a server. You know what putting out three modpacks with slightly different mods will do? Take a look at the server promotion area, and look at how many servers are hosting the modpacks that the FTB team controls the content of.

So, by your own metric (number of servers advertised or hosted), the FTB team's attempts to conglomerate huge packs with tons of mods is a failure. Doing more of the same and expecting a different result would speak worse of their judgement than attempting something new.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I tried monster. Once. I didn't like it. It's just too... busy. Having 100 different mods installed (that's not just what forge says, there's seriously around 100 mods), like 6 different power systems and heaps of other content just isn't fun for me. Monster is just far too cluttered. I love that they're making 10 more focused packs instead of 3 monstrous blobs of mods.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I tried monster. Once. I didn't like it. It's just too... busy. Having 100 different mods installed (that's not just what forge says, there's seriously around 100 mods), like 6 different power systems and heaps of other content just isn't fun for me. Monster is just far too cluttered. I love that they're making 10 more focused packs instead of 3 monstrous blobs of mods.
Lol, monstrous blobs of mods.
I see what you did there!
Literally my private packs also stick to around 60 mods with minimal overlap. I enjoy a rounded experience for sure, but it can be too much if you keep going farther.
Also, less mods does mean easier for computers and servers, so there's that.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I don't particularly mind multiple power systems, myself. If there's one on which I'm not particularly keen, like Factorization Charge, then I just don't use it; if I like the mod's content, again like Factorization, but don't care for the power generation options, I find ways around it. You'd be surprised how many uses a man can find for a simple boiler.

MrBrunty

Jul 29, 2019
I expect I'm asking a question that you've answered a dozen times, but when you say combine modpacks, would that mean for example that in the 'edit modpack' section of the launcher you would list every mod included in compatible packs and resultantly make it so that for servers, downloading the modpack has all available mods in it, just with the .disabled ending to those not enabled by default?

I ask only because as a player and a server owner, I would see small packs as having much less overall playtime due to the limited mods. For example when I play through monster I can work on both thaumcraft and thermal expansion simultaneously, switching as and when I get bored, I feel that it would be difficult to develop a decent community for a server should there only be smaller packs, and building custom packs is both very time consuming and attracts very few players. Having a simple and easy way to combine packs would make it easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.