Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
The new "angry bees" mechanic added by forestry... walking around and out of the blue you get hit. Only to notice a hive 5-10 blocks away. When you step on a hive is one thing... the random "you're close by" bothers me

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The new "angry bees" mechanic added by forestry... walking around and out of the blue you get hit. Only to notice a hive 5-10 blocks away. When you step on a hive is one thing... the random "you're close by" bothers me
The mechanic doesn't really bother me too much (you have to be nearby for a few seconds before they attack) but your argument makes sense. "Normal" bees shouldn't attack you just for being nearby. Or at least most shouldn't. (There are highly aggressive natural bees that do protect their territory irl I believe)

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Especially when you're playing a harvest festival modpack and you started your town right next to like three hives you didn't notice and now you have to deal with these bees all the time until you can pick it up. I've died. Twice. To BEES. A horde of zombies? no problem. A handful of tiny stinging insects? I'm dead. I mean I get that forestry was trying to add a dose of realism to the mod, to make the hives feel more like hives and less like a funky-colored bee ore.

Reactions: Scottly318

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Especially when you're playing a harvest festival modpack and you started your town right next to like three hives you didn't notice and now you have to deal with these bees all the time until you can pick it up. I've died. Twice. To BEES. A horde of zombies? no problem. A handful of tiny stinging insects? I'm dead. I mean I get that forestry was trying to add a dose of realism to the mod, to make the hives feel more like hives and less like a funky-colored bee ore.

I like that... Given the primary reason to work with bees is for resources, they should spin off bees to their own separate mod called "Funky Colored Bee Ore" :D

Seriously, with "Chickens" which I just discovered and prefer (I have nothing to fear from a chicken butt except maybe better fertilizer :D ), everything in the pack relates to chickens and can be taken or left according to the player's preferences.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
There is a mod that allows you to fire bees from a dog's bum. I blame iChun.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism machines that don't have configurable sides.

Actually, same thing for any mod's machines like this, but my most recent experience is with mekanism.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019

Those things are responsible for hidden fears of people. All Forestry players now will evate bees in real life and even kill them and their hives in fear of getting attacked... no wonder bees species are dying... If I were some animal activist I would blame forestry for this!
[/irony]

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism machines that don't have configurable sides.

Actually, same thing for any mod's machines like this, but my most recent experience is with mekanism.
Really? Is this for the 1.10 version, because that's...kind of a glaring omission going from 1.7 to later versions.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Really? Is this for the 1.10 version, because that's...kind of a glaring omission going from 1.7 to later versions.

Mekanism has a few machines that are intentionally fixed functionality for sides. For example the rotary condenstrator does gasses on the left and liquids on the right. Or the electrolytic separator, which will take the input liquid from the front, and will output the first gas to the left and the second gas to the right. Absolute pain in the ass.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhhhh, yeah. That does make things markedly more difficult than they need to be. Of course, I see why Aidan did it, too, as it makes sense based on their models.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
There are two things that Irk me. And they're preventing me from finding my permanent Minecraft home.

I can't stand the way the Java version loads chunks and the crazy-low draw distance that you get on a server.

I also don't get why they wouldn't implement native controller support like the Win10/console versions do.

I love the look and feel of the Win10 version, but obviously doesn't support the same types of mods, so it's out. But I have to live with/workaround the other two things and it drives me nuts.

Reactions: mlane16

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
There are two things that Irk me. And they're preventing me from finding my permanent Minecraft home.

I can't stand the way the Java version loads chunks and the crazy-low draw distance that you get on a server.

I also don't get why they wouldn't implement native controller support like the Win10/console versions do.

I love the look and feel of the Win10 version, but obviously doesn't support the same types of mods, so it's out. But I have to live with/workaround the other two things and it drives me nuts.

I think things are coming together slowly... Several improvements to the basic game have originated with MCPE/Win10 versions, based on C++ code and re-implemented in Java, and vice-versa, as MCPE gets more Vanilla features each new iteration.

I have seen articles where the stated goal is to "merge" feature sets until both the C++ and Java Versions are identical. If everything I saw in the latest Minecon videos comes to pass it looks like eventually we may see a situation where it doesn't matter which codebase your Minecraft is based on and both will be modded using C# distributed as source code.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I think things are coming together slowly... Several improvements to the basic game have originated with MCPE/Win10 versions, based on C++ code and re-implemented in Java, and vice-versa, as MCPE gets more Vanilla features each new iteration.

I have seen articles where the stated goal is to "merge" feature sets until both the C++ and Java Versions are identical. If everything I saw in the latest Minecon videos comes to pass it looks like eventually we may see a situation where it doesn't matter which codebase your Minecraft is based on and both will be modded using C# distributed as source code.

I agree. I started my Minecraft "career" on the PS4 version, so I was already late to the game, but I'm not even sure it had "The End" in it yet. I know the Win10 version didn't. But they're almost caught right up now. Just in time for me to get all addicted to the Java mods, lol.

At this point, I think I just want too specific of a thing here and what I have is probably as good as it's gonna get. But I bounce back to Win10 any time I'm in the mood for vanilla. That's a much, much better vanilla experience for me. And that's especially because I build based on how I'm inspired by the land, so it helps being able to actually SEE it, lol.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Many of the MC Youtube/streamer personalities checked out Win10 when it first came out and were astounded at how fast you got into the game and how smooth it ran... That probably comes from the C++ code written by experienced programmers. There's probably some of Notch's original code still in Vanilla which he wrote to teach himself Java, if I have the story straight.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Many of the MC Youtube/streamer personalities checked out Win10 when it first came out and were astounded at how fast you got into the game and how smooth it ran... That probably comes from the C++ code written by experienced programmers. There's probably some of Notch's original code still in Vanilla which he wrote to teach himself Java, if I have the story straight.
Honestly, a complete rewrite is probably exactly what minecraft needed. And with people who actually know what they're doing in charge, a modding API might actually happen instead of being promised but never delivered for years on end.

Though at one point I heard that they were going to start charging for updates. Was that correct or just a rumor formed from the initial panic?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, a complete rewrite is probably exactly what minecraft needed. And with people who actually know what they're doing in charge, a modding API might actually happen instead of being promised but never delivered for years on end.

Though at one point I heard that they were going to start charging for updates. Was that correct or just a rumor formed from the initial panic?

I heard similar, but ever found any basis for the claim other than hatred and/or distrust for MS. Honestly, if they start charging for updates, I'll simply pick a version and stay with it. If they hadn't pushed all the way to 1.11, I would have been quite content with the extensive 1.7 mod library. If they had charged for 1.8+, I think a fair amount of people would still be on that stable platform.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

You do realize that the modding in Minecraft is so strong *because* Minecraft was written in Java (and NOT c++) and there was no official modding API?

An official modding API is ALWAYS a walled garden: As there are no mods written yet the designer of the API does not know what needs to be exposed and how to expose it, and consequently makes an API thats quite limited. By definition, mods CAN NOT explore extending the game outside the scope of the API so it can never become apparent what other APIs need to be added.

Then, c++ can make faster games thats for sure. But Java binaries are simple zip archives containing collections of .class files, which are EASY to reverse engineer back into source, and it is utterly trivial to re-insert modified and/or new .class files into an existing .jar

If Minecraft is rewritten in C++. If minecraft implements an official modding API, modded minecraft will die.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
You do realize that the modding in Minecraft is so strong *because* Minecraft was written in Java (and NOT c++) and there was no official modding API?

An official modding API is ALWAYS a walled garden: As there are no mods written yet the designer of the API does not know what needs to be exposed and how to expose it, and consequently makes an API thats quite limited. By definition, mods CAN NOT explore extending the game outside the scope of the API so it can never become apparent what other APIs need to be added.

Then, c++ can make faster games thats for sure. But Java binaries are simple zip archives containing collections of .class files, which are EASY to reverse engineer back into source, and it is utterly trivial to re-insert modified and/or new .class files into an existing .jar

If Minecraft is rewritten in C++. If minecraft implements an official modding API, modded minecraft will die.
Yes, absolutely. You're right that modded minecraft became so huge because there was no API and the entire thing was born from the desire to have a modding API when there was none. But the thing you forget isn't run by idiots. And even if they do make a decision that makes modding horrible, modded minecraft will stay away from that. You remember 1.8? When modding basically stagnated because it was so hard to update? The community was even deciding whether or not to push forwards or stay in 1.7 for the foreseeable future. The same thing would happen if microsoft screws up. If they make the API too limiting, modding will either work around it or not go there. If they drop the java version altogether and make the C++ version their main focus? Either modding will stay in java or a forge launcher of sorts will be made that integrates forge hooks into the launcher itself. And besides that, there is no way that microsoft would stop developing the java version. No way. If they did, then people would stay with the java version if just for the cross-platform perk. There's a ton of modders and players that use mac and linux that would be totally left out if the java version is dropped.
If the developer gives a crap about their modding community then they'll edit the API to fit the demand. And that's just the thing: if nobody wants to make something outside the limitations of the API, then the API isn't limited. And if someone does try and the devs actually care enough to do something about it, then that will be added. That's how it worked with forge, and that's just the sensible way to go about it. And besides, Microsoft already knows what needs to be exposed. There's already a massively extensive modding API for the game that they can easily reference or even use as a starting point for their API.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, microsoft isn't stupid. If they do make an API, they'd probably do a pretty good job of it. The java version isn't going anywhere, and even if it is mods just won't move to newer versions. Modded minecraft will survive as long as minecraft does. And likely even longer. Modded minecraft grew to such heights because it was unofficial and we had to do it ourselves. If microsoft makes an API that works just as well or better, then fantastic. If they make something that is worse than what we have, mods will just stick back to before the API or just not use the API in the first place. There is absolutely no evidence to say that a modding API would kill modding. At best modding is better for it! At worst nothing changes!

And holy crap I rambled on again with another megapost pardon me.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
If the developer gives a crap about their modding community then they'll edit the API to fit the demand. And that's just the thing: if nobody wants to make something outside the limitations of the API, then the API isn't limited.

Or the modder just give up asking for the feature because they just expect it never gets added