Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The game will forever be divided. We all understand why, or at least most of us. C++ will always be the better vanilla experience. Java will always be the only way to go for mods.

But, there could be a little more middle ground. Java version could use some native controller support. C++ version could have a more open API to work with, or, god forbid, this being a multi-billion dollar game, hire a team of people to make game modes that replicate what a lot of these mods do (and let's be real here, they do often overlap features. You don't need to make them exact, just make a new version of the gist of what's out there already) and I don't care if they want to sell them. People can still play the fee vanilla mods, or if you want to pay for the work they put into C++, then it's your choice.

If there was a buildcraft clone for Win10, you'd never see me touch Java again. No reason they can't replicate some of this stuff.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
At this point, if there was interest from Minecraft and licensing could be worked out, Minecraft could be written in C++, but expose the current (Java) Forge API to mods. Because its actually quite easy to embed a JRE inside C++.

It would be a very odd environment, and would entail the selection of Forge as the official mod api: Of course, given there's been no interest in selecting Forge as the (basis for an official) API now when it would be easy, I just can't see that happening.

It would pretty much pin modding at the current capabilities of Forge.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Looks like clear glass obscures name plates. Slightly annoying given my new decoration feature.

2017-01-24_08.29.35.png
2017-01-24_08.30.25.png

*sulk*

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
At this point, if there was interest from Minecraft and licensing could be worked out, Minecraft could be written in C++, but expose the current (Java) Forge API to mods. Because its actually quite easy to embed a JRE inside C++.

It would be a very odd environment, and would entail the selection of Forge as the official mod api: Of course, given there's been no interest in selecting Forge as the (basis for an official) API now when it would be easy, I just can't see that happening.

It would pretty much pin modding at the current capabilities of Forge.

but efficient communication between C++ and JRE isn't going to be as efficient as pure java because the JRE can't jit optimize across the C++ api boundary

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If your native libraries are well-made and your Java well-written, then the layer between them shouldn't have a significant performance impact. The problem is that Minecraft's Java is a hodgepodge of kludges, hacks, and otherwise incomprehensibly poor code.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Botania dayblooms and nightshades need the sky to be visible (in 1.7.10)

This means I have to leave my burgeoning undersea kingdom for a while to generate some mana to make non-crappy generating flowers.

*grumble*

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Oh and my nice tidy way of automatically fueling Thermalilies appears to no longer work.

Fluid formation planes don't output any more?

mlane16

Jul 29, 2019
The Top 11 Things that annoy me about Minecraft and Modded Minecraft​
1) The lost of boat elevators (μ_μ). I miss you janky form of transportation!
2) The fact that Redstone behaves slightly differently in Pocket Minecraft and Windows 10 Minecraft to the point that reduction of Redstone circuit size is very hard in these versions of Minecraft. (>﹏<) I wish there was a good list of the differences in how Redstone and Redstone components work across the different versions. I still cannot set up an obsidian generator properly in Windows 10 version.
3) The fact that observer/updater block texture is different across versions of Minecraft. Also the Redstone design issues, cubehamster talked about here:
P.S. Cannot edit the link to not be a video... sorry (;⌣̀_⌣́) (m;_ _)m
4) Mods that nerfed or continue to nerf basic vanilla "making" blocks like furnaces, brewing stands, anvils, pistons, slimeblocks, etc. (; ̄Д ̄) ( ̄ヘ ̄) People give vanilla a hard enough time as it is, but adding mods that nerf the speed or efficiency of those blocks makes it harder to spread information about evolving Redstone designs.
Over in Vanilla 1.9, 1.10, and 1.11; there has been a revolution in Redstone to the point that many vanilla ways of doing things could actually improve the modded versions that do the exact same thing. Circuits that used to take a chunk now can take up only 1 x 3 or 1 x 4 area or simply do things faster. Industrial Blast Furnace Smelting (aka Vanilla Industrial Furnace) and Vanilla Oak Wood Farms are two big often overlooked circuits with changes to in 1.10. Auto-sorting and auto-crafting are two others, but I feel like people know innovations there more often. ... ...
My point is that nerfs to vanilla blocks to "balance" things interfere the spread innovations to the modding community.​
5) The pointless complexity mods go to balance modded farm blocks, farm multiblocks, etc. I am looking at you forestry, Botania mana flowers, and even the mods that brings in mob spawners. ( ̄ヘ ̄)
There was a time 1.6 - 1.8 where this made slight sense; however, when the vanilla version of a farm makes faster the wood, iron, stone, obsidian mushroom, wheat, etc. that you want... it like why bother with a more expensive modded version? Join the Redstone revolution comrade!​
6) People who make huge quarries or Rapid Short Pulse Duplication circuits in servers. Why you got to lag the server for everyone? ((╬◣﹏◢)) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
7) Bees... they were such a cool mod addition, but so laggy in 1.8 if you tried to scale it up.
8) The audio in minecraft. I wish that sound mufflers were easier to make as cobblestone.
9) People who build in large builds yet use flying in creative mod instead of horizontal/vertical moving slime block structure they can easily make. What the point of making multiblock slimeblock structures if they are just for looks?
10) Graphics and HD mods (>﹏<) . I know that some people like them, but I wish there was a way to disable the darn things for us who want to play on HD servers, but don't really care about the graphics. Half the fun of minecraft for me who bought it in beta years ago... is the blockiness!
11) The removal of the models some OP blocks and some old mod blocks that don't work in 1.10. Some of those multiblock structures like windmills where cool decorations! I miss you Redcraft 2 and Bluestone block designs (இ﹏இ`。)

P.S. I do want to mention that mods that I am talking about in 4 and 5 are very rare; however, since people asked I thought I should mention it.

Last edited:

masterx244

Jul 29, 2019
The typo on the log in screen when joining a server. Not suggesting that MC has performance issues or anything but in all honesty it should say 'lagging in'
i think you can switch that via a resource pack... (using one to rename repeaters to diodes at my end which allows me to find em by both names due to f3+h)

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
A thing that irks me today is... pigs. Started a fresh world, exploring the map, and I encounter pigs everywhere - not a single chicken, cow or sheep. Only pigs. If someone wants to check out this world, the seed is -3945781260784236267. I got only 1 wool so far - from a village torch post.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Really annoying things:

* Redstone, comparators and block updates: In vanilla, or when interfacing with mods, why do so many redstone and comparator based designs not work without some lag inducing device forcing block updates?
* mine carts, comparators & powered & detector rails - seriously wtf is this: the only way to make mine carts unload and load in a slightly automated way is to rely on a variety of glitches to force mine carts to stop halfway between tracks and get stuck on collision boxes that work in one direction but not another.
* Animals and Fences - why, after all these years - do animals in pens still gather in one corner, and then push each other through the fence?
* Animals and Pens - why, after all these years, does the passive mob AI still incur such a FPS cost - especially on servers - if mobs are confined in a small space.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
A thing that irks me today is... pigs. Started a fresh world, exploring the map, and I encounter pigs everywhere - not a single chicken, cow or sheep. Only pigs. If someone wants to check out this world, the seed is -3945781260784236267. I got only 1 wool so far - from a village torch post.

I have this problem a LOT. I suggest looking for the flax plants and break those for string to make wool. Can normally find enough to make a bed by nightfall.
Make a ground trap from Pam's Harvestcraft. Grow some wheat and some of those flax plants and you will have animal drops like eggs, steak, chicken, feathers, and leather come in in trickles, but it works. The last three worlds I've made, I have not had to kill a passive mob for resources :)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I have this problem a LOT. I suggest looking for the flax plants and break those for string to make wool. Can normally find enough to make a bed by nightfall.
Make a ground trap from Pam's Harvestcraft. Grow some wheat and some of those flax plants and you will have animal drops like eggs, steak, chicken, feathers, and leather come in in trickles, but it works. The last three worlds I've made, I have not had to kill a passive mob for resources :)
If by any chance you haven't got Pam's or Immersive Engineering (such as in Horizons III) you can also get string from things like fluffy puff plants (no joke); likewise there are sometimes surprising routes to leather, such as Integrated Dynamic's drying basin, which does a great job with making it from rotten flesh.