Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I say almost because:
1. It will be set. For everyone. One size fits all whether it really fits or not.
2. It will squash creativity on the subject. There might be a best way to do it, and we'd never know if Forge owns it.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I say almost because:
1. It will be set. For everyone. One size fits all whether it really fits or not.
2. It will squash creativity on the subject. There might be a best way to do it, and we'd never know if Forge owns it.

A forge provided api is, firstly, necessary to get developer buy in, and secondly, does not preclude creativity - actually it would enable it, as an api to share context senstive keys would first require that all mods actually register with a central api - and this becomes a point where pluggable interpretations could actually go.

At the moment there is no hope for any kind of creative solution to the problem as there is simply no standard way for mods to declare an interest in sharing their keybindings based on the users selected item / equipment / mount / other invented status.

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
One size fits all is effectively impossible given the range and variety of mods out there. However as long as it remains opt in/out and devs are fully free to make their own decision on whether or not to use it. Those whom it would adversely effect should not have it forced upon them.
Secondly this will inevitably effect creativity, as those who adopt the API also adopt the inherent limitations of what that API is able do. (this is only a moot point if the API is genuinely perfect).

However I will quite agree with the keybinding issue, this idea has my full support as long as it doesn't become mandatory. Rest assured if its well designed the vast majority would use it.

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
As I see it, the only thing that really needs to happen in this regard is to ensure that when one mod uses a particular keybind, that mod doesn't "eat up" that particular keypress event, thereby preventing other mods from using the same keybind. If a separate keypress event was sent to each mod using that particular key, all would be well.

Almost all, at least. While the above would allow you to overlap keybinds for, say, changing Thaumcraft wand foci, ProjectE item activation, and Redstone Arsenal's tool empowerment thingy, you still could theoretically run out of keys. Allowing arbitrary combinations of keys to be configured into the keybinds menu would fix that, once and for all. So, for instance, you could make c pull up your Factorization pocket crafter, z-c do something with Ars Magica's spellbook, f-c turn on your jetpack, etc.

Would there be any reason for these changes to not be made mandatory?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Something non-keybinding-related that irks me:

When MC youtubers doing some sort of walkthrough/tutorial show NEI recipes. I die a little bit each time I see one. Fast forward, fast forward, fast forward.

All I wanna see is how to use block/item/mechanic X. I don't care what the recipe is because NEI can tell me that, and these days minetweaker, mod-integration and configs are making those recipes obsolete half the time anyway. And nobody....nobody...plays without NEI or something similar.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
When there's 50+ mods in a pack, it's really tough to remember all the recipes. If I wanted to build the Uberlishcious Goober Staff of the Pyure and record at the same time, you bet I'll use NEI or equivalent to save me time.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RedBoss

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Essentially expand the keybinding options to allow a 'modifier' key (such as control, alt, caps) and an 'action' key (alpha numeric); so Alt-G, Ctrl-G, Caps-G, and G can carry out different functions?
For the end user, this could look like an extra column in the controls menu. Very pretty. I quite like it.
Still it must never be mandatory; if someone doesn't get on well with the API, or doesn't find it practical for their work- then they should not be forced into using it.

When MC youtubers doing some sort of walkthrough/tutorial show NEI recipes.
Its when they do step by step crafting and explain what every item is.
+added to nightmare fuel playlist.​

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, if you are going to tell me "The mod is entirely documented in NEI, load it up and look at it in-game", I'm not that interested. Especially for anything that has multiple crafting steps.

It is too hard for me to track multiple different recipe steps, let alone compare multiple recipes/items, when I could just as easily read a single page with everthing. Going back and forth in NEI is not fun. And "Just use minetweaker" kinda defeats the whole "what is the base recipe?" idea.

Now, if you had a mod that told me "Item X requires a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, and j to craft", as well as "I have all these items in my inventory, just make it", fine.

Reactions: JunpakuKarasu

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Now, if you had a mod that told me "Item X requires a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, and j to craft", as well as "I have all these items in my inventory, just make it", fine.
This is a good point. Particularly true if the recipe requires something exotic.

"This is a top tier item, and be warned you'll require a huge amount of bedrockium to complete it" or some such. That's excellent information. (modtweaker etc notwithstanding)

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Essentially expand the keybinding options to allow a 'modifier' key (such as control, alt, caps) and an 'action' key (alpha numeric); so Alt-G, Ctrl-G, Caps-G, and G can carry out different functions?
For the end user, this could look like an extra column in the controls menu. Very pretty. I quite like it.
Still it must never be mandatory; if someone doesn't get on well with the API, or doesn't find it practical for their work- then they should not be forced into using it.

This is what I was trying to get at here. It wouldn't even have to be a Forge API, maybe a mod by itself (like not enough keys or something like that).

A mod to allow for key press modifiers such as Alt Ctrl or even SHIFT in the options/controles tab would be amazeballs.

PS: Also make it so it remembers your settings between maps would be great too m'kayyy?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Something non-keybinding-related that irks me:

When MC youtubers doing some sort of walkthrough/tutorial show NEI recipes. I die a little bit each time I see one. Fast forward, fast forward, fast forward.

All I wanna see is how to use block/item/mechanic X. I don't care what the recipe is because NEI can tell me that, and these days minetweaker, mod-integration and configs are making those recipes obsolete half the time anyway. And nobody....nobody...plays without NEI or something similar.

Though if the mod has a new machine and NEI integration for it then that at least should be shown.

Like the blood altar and what every text box (and tooltip) means.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
This is what I was trying to get at here. It wouldn't even have to be a Forge API, maybe a mod by itself (like not enough keys or something like that).

A mod to allow for key press modifiers such as Alt Ctrl or even SHIFT in the options/controls tab would be amazeballs.

A mod by itself could be the better option- as [in theory] it'll work with current mods and won't interfere with mod feature development/implementation.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
When you build something in the wrong position and need to move it.

YQ5DJZC.png

D1mKdSJ.png

Reactions: SkeletonPunk

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
The one thing that irks me above all else, Endermen. I am soooooooooo sick of them taking blocks and moving them around. Depending on where and how you like to build that can be a small nuisance to OMG you jerks I hate you all!!! I love to build in deserts with large sweeping dunes all around, so them taking sand from the bottom causes these collapses that just annoy the frikk out of me. I just hoofed over to my farm area... covered in oil. Because there was oil hidden in the hill off to the side that a helpful enderman now revealed.

eff those guys! I hate them with every fiber of my being.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Creeper blasts are much worse IMO. Whith mob greifing off they still explode and hurt you, but don't leave craters in your base. Sneaky buggers.

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger
I think everyone gets that, but creepers are easy to keep out of your base. Endermen are less likely to respect property lines.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen