Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I *might* know of a way to do that. Will have to do some config diving to be sure.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
It irks me to no end that TiCo items get destroyed if you break your gravestone in creative mode. Doh!

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger

Reactions: Type1Ninja

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, there is a way to raise the loot tables -- I think it's in loot++ -- but it should be in any mod that stuffs stuff into the stuff that stuffed with stuff

("How much stuff can you stuff in a chestie before the chestie is stuffed with enough stuff")

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
That's a thing that irks me IRL.

I dunno about that. I have a Shelty that more than makes up for any canine that doesn't bark. To be more clear Mojang has a dog bark sound for Wolves. Wolves can make a variety of vocalizations, barking isn't one of them. Of course, wolves don't wander around with gray collars in the wild, either. :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Funnily enough there are mods that remedy that keybind problem. NotEnoughKeys and that one with the radial menu I keep forgetting.
However you will run in to the same issues. If only you could assign a smart ability button/s that's dependant on the gear you have on or in hand. Like R and T will switch modes if you have an RF drill equipped but if you are holding a TC wand it will let you change focus and set modes on those foci that have them.
F and G could be mode buttons for armor that reads the mod they are from and mapps the functions accordingly.
It's just annoying that sometimes if a mod shares a keybind it just outright refuses to work.
Maybe someone's already written an API that allows this? That modders themselves can hook in to. Gear function buttons.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Funnily enough there are mods that remedy that keybind problem. NotEnoughKeys and that one with the radial menu I keep forgetting.
However you will run in to the same issues. If only you could assign a smart ability button/s that's dependant on the gear you have on or in hand. Like R and T will switch modes if you have an RF drill equipped but if you are holding a TC wand it will let you change focus and set modes on those foci that have them.
F and G could be mode buttons for armor that reads the mod they are from and mapps the functions accordingly.
It's just annoying that sometimes if a mod shares a keybind it just outright refuses to work.
Maybe someone's already written an API that allows this? That modders themselves can hook in to. Gear function buttons.

True, but often times keyboards are not necessary

In FSP for example, we have a single key bind. That doesn't mean we have less features or anything, we just utilize existing keys rather than making our own. More mods should do this IMO.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, still... it depends on the function. While we have 30+ keys to choose from the keyboard will still get cramped. Things that are actively used need to be around wsad, anything past G just won't do.
Also mods that utilize the sneak click function annoy me, I don't really want to have my gear do something unexpected when im trying to sneak near a ledge. Like say you had armor that fired a missle at what you where looking at while right clicking and holding sneak. For something like that you'd need a separate key.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Indeed, still... it depends on the function. While we have 30+ keys to choose from the keyboard will still get cramped. Things that are actively used need to be around wsad, anything past G just won't do.
Also mods that utilize the sneak click function annoy me, I don't really want to have my gear do something unexpected when im trying to sneak near a ledge. Like say you had armor that fired a missle at what you where looking at while right clicking and holding sneak. For something like that you'd need a separate key.

I wish that the keybinds would recognize shift+ keys, like % or know/use the difference between uppercase and lower case.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I wish that the keybinds would recognize shift+ keys, like % or know/use the difference between uppercase and lower case.
The implementation of it can. EntityPlayer.isSneaking() && keybind.isKeyPressed(). Not sure if the game will recognize the key bind being pressed when there are conflicting ones, but it logically should work. If it doesn't that's poor design.

Side note/fun fact: isPressed() and isKeyPressed() are completely different methods, with the former doing a whole bunch of processing, and the latter simply returning a boolean value.

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So much of this.
Between forge and the mid authors there needs to be a keybinds api that can share the same context dependent key between multiple mods.

'F' definitely needs to be dependent on the held item.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
The implementation of it can. EntityPlayer.isSneaking() && keybind.isKeyPressed(). Not sure if the game will recognize the key bind being pressed when there are conflicting ones, but it logically should work. If it doesn't that's poor design.

Side note/fun fact: isPressed() and isKeyPressed() are completely different methods, with the former doing a whole bunch of processing, and the latter simply returning a boolean value.

Sadly this is not the way key binding works in MC. As soon as you press shift on the key bind screen it puts (SHIFT) there

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly this is not the way key binding works in MC. As soon as you press shift on the key bind screen it puts (SHIFT) there

I know. I'm saying the conflicting key binds might not really matter if the implementation is actually sneak-key rather than purely the key.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
While on that subject, the stupidity of what I'm assuming is a java library of "I know the exact state of the keyboard, because I've tracked all the key_up and key_downs sent by the OS, and there is no chance at all that (a), I was not the active app, and (b), the OS does not send key information to non-active apps".

Repeat-by: On the mac, command-tab will change the current app. Old app sees command_key-down, new app sees command_key-up. That's just the simplest form.

===

The assumption of "Oh, shift and sneak are not the same". I don't even know what the vanilla sneak key is, but I have left-shift for sneak, right-shift (by the arrows) for jump. The whole "You must either jump or sneak, because we require the shift key for this" behavior -- why would any mod say that left-shift is dismount ... oh, that's Mojang :)

(Gaaa ... boats ... I have finally understood why Etho gave up on EATS.)

===

Seriously, the whole "binding multiple keys to an action". There's a mod that tries to do this. There's all sorts of mod interaction bugs and things that just don't work.

So, why not make a "This is the new standard behavior required of all mods" for forge 1.9?

I'm serious. Best thing I can think of for updating is to say that 1.9 will actually fix all the stupidity that has crept into forge out of early ignorance.

But, you know, that's more than a one-person job. Heck, even if they worked together, Lex and Cpw would still have to let someone else have control over that.

===

TL;DR: I want to have modifier keys actually work.
I don't want any mod to force specific modifier keys. Including vanilla's "shift for dismount" -- I want that to be made overridable as well.
I want to be able to say what I mean by modifiers, rather than have the program assume "Oh, shift is a modifier, alt is a modifier, z is an action, and not a modifier", etc.

And I want the game to determine when it regains focus and re-determine the actual state of keys/buttons currently down from the OS, rather than just assuming that an out-of-date mapping is still accurate.

** AND I WANT A "button pushed" COMMAND. As in, get in boat, press forward, switch task, release key, switch back -- now the boat will sail until it finds land. I still want that behavior available, just intentionally.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
2016-01-23_16.56.43.png

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
It almost seems like Forge should provide keymapping, keysharing, and/or keycontextualizing stuff.

(Not because I think it will definitely be better, but because it's a thing that virtually all Forge users run into.

I think context sensitivity is probably the answer, but I can't think how you would implement that other than radial menus or converting reachable character-keys into modifiers. Non-key contexts I can conceive of would be looking-at, held-item, worn-item, positional, and status-based, but those will collide without some other mask to deconflict, like zones of a keyboard. But, then you'd be stretching across the keyboard for common tasks or hitting something silly like ] for change wand focus, or non-conventional-players like Keybounce would have to conform.)

-------------

Do any of the existing keymap fixit mods let you have quick-swappable sets? Maybe have a set for building, a set for magery, a set for combat, a set for highly-gizmo-rich armor, and a half-dozen others?

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenZombie

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It almost seems like Forge should provide keymapping, keysharing, and/or keycontextualizing stuff.

(Not because I think it will definitely be better, but because it's a thing that virtually all Forge users run into.

I think context sensitivity is probably the answer, but I can't think how you would implement that other than radial menus or converting reachable character-keys into modifiers. Non-key contexts I can conceive of would be looking-at, held-item, worn-item, positional, and status-based, but those will collide without some other mask to deconflict, like zones of a keyboard. But, then you'd be stretching across the keyboard for common tasks or hitting something silly like ] for change wand focus, or non-conventional-players like Keybounce would have to conform.)

-------------

Do any of the existing keymap fixit mods let you have quick-swappable sets? Maybe have a set for building, a set for magery, a set for combat, a set for highly-gizmo-rich armor, and a half-dozen others?

If, by "almost" you mean "long overdue critical must have" I agree totally.