Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Nope but this one is quite important. You will be wanting a loooooot of blaze powder.

Also... weird... in a game where you punch trees? Does that word even apply anymore? ;)

no, it's just kind of weird for me because glowstone and blazes don't really have much in common except that they're both in the nether.
but if you need loads of blaze powder I can understand the recipe.

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
no, it's just kind of weird for me because glowstone and blazes don't really have much in common except that they're both in the nether.
but if you need loads of blaze powder I can understand the recipe.

You're thinking of it the wrong way. It is basically saying that glowstone is redstone with blaze powder as the component that emits light. This also wouldn't be too far of a stretch from how real materials function. So it makes perfect sense, even if it is quite abstract. ^_^ It's more on the chemistry side but yeah. It does actually conceptually work.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
You're thinking of it the wrong way. It is basically saying that glowstone is redstone with blaze powder as the component that emits light. This also wouldn't be too far of a stretch from how real materials function. So it makes perfect sense, even if it is quite abstract. ^_^ It's more on the chemistry side but yeah. It does actually conceptually work.

Well, in my mind - Blaze Powder is necessary for some things in TE, and that would normally preclude Peaceful mode. Hence, thanks to ~Flux~, you can turn Glowstone into Blaze Powder. Justify the alchemy/chemistry however you like. :)

Optionally, I guess we could add a Blaze Flower. I won't rule that out.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Will you also have some way of "condensing" the blaze powder into a blaze rod? Even a lossy conversion (such as 6 blaze powder into a rod?)

It's annoying they can only be obtained from blazes. I'd have thought there would be some magi-tech way of crafting them from various materials & processes.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft has the Cinderpearl which is basically a Blaze Flower.
Yeah but that is non-renewable, and with BoP sometimes deserts are few and far between.

I'm perfectly happy with a chemistry solution to obtaining blaze powder, but if KL's blaze flower comes to pass, I hope it would be farmable in some way, like roses and dandelions in crop sticks.

matheus P Pfitscher

Jul 29, 2019
Could you stop been soo awesome? Blaze powder was always an issue, considering the fact that i have some bad luck about creepers and thus prefer to play on peaceful.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Well, in my mind - Blaze Powder is necessary for some things in TE, and that would normally preclude Peaceful mode. Hence, thanks to ~Flux~, you can turn Glowstone into Blaze Powder. Justify the alchemy/chemistry however you like. :)

While one (such as myself) who enjoys breeding bees may ultimately get to Smouldering bees to get blaze rods to grind up into blaze powder, fun-wise and balance-wise, this seems like a fair recipe. Blaze powder is not *that* difficult to get in the overworld with Thaumcraft installed and with deserts occurring at the default (vanilla) rate.

And, if bees can produce just about anything and everything, I'm fine with some magitech that uses liquid redstone on glowstone dust to yield blaze powder.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

aah, ofcourse, the peaceful players would have problems getting blaze powder...
a blaze flower would indeed be an option, but it'd be an idea to keep the flower in the nether to prevent early game access for blaze powder

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly don't like the flower idea... not only does another mod already do it, but making it in a machine feels much more satisfying to me.

A lot of tech mods implement little reason to keep machines up and running beyond ore processing and fuel production loops. Consumable recipes like this blaze powder recipe add some meat to the infrastructure skeleton.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I second being against the flower. We have Cinderpearls and Magical Crops for things like that. Unless you add a config to disable it. I like robust configs :p

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
No Not keen to flower idea too.

Edit: Your mod, your choice. Changed the sentence to reflect that it is only an opinion of mine.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
maybe an idea to add a new item that's used instead of blaze powder... maybe something like pulverized coal or charcoal?
not sure what the blaze powder is used for exactly but if you need loads of it, then coal is a good option as people always end up with ton of that stuff

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'd have to agree with the comments above. There's always excessive Coal, Silver & Tin in my inventories compared with Iron, Gold and Copper.
It would be more interesting to players if there was a series of machines that can be setup that can produce the required "blaze powder" out of a series of raw materials. Maybe a double pulverization of netherrack (to mirror cobblestone, gravel, sand) which has a chance of producing some catalyst material that when mixed with coal and traces of other materials would produce the "blaze powder".
You could still have that flower, but it would be just to get players started with the first initial machines, after that, you'd need to manufacture it.

Larandar

Jul 29, 2019
I like machine recipe, but I'm not a fan of the flower idea.
In other topics : does induction smelter have other useful recipe ? Like leather from rotten flesh + sugar ( Was is TE2 or Greg add it ? )