Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
One teeny tiny request. Can you show the frequency number next to the frequency name on the tesseracts? Makes it easier to find a spare frequency number.

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
I still think it'd be beneficial to all of us if there was a conduit to carry MJ at least for the 1.6 version of TE. Make it as a gateway mod release for 1.7+. Don't get me wrong, I love the new stuff being added by TE and think Red Flux is a great idea for the future, but I still just keep thinking of my poor Forestry machines and having to use Buildcraft Kinesis pipes.. *Shudders*

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I still think it'd be beneficial to all of us if there was a conduit to carry MJ at least for the 1.6 version of TE. Make it as a gateway mod release for 1.7+. Don't get me wrong, I love the new stuff being added by TE and think Red Flux is a great idea for the future, but I still just keep thinking of my poor Forestry machines and having to use Buildcraft Kinesis pipes.. *Shudders*
mind explaining why are you so against using BC pipes for MJ transmission? i did understand it but not after they`ve been redone by CJ.

Reactions: immibis and RedBoss

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
mind explaining why are you so against using BC pipes for MJ transmission? i did understand it but not after they`ve been redone by CJ.
Because literally every other option is 10 times better. That's not a joke.

At least we still have Universal Cable and EnderIO.

Reactions: Not_Steve

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be completely honest with you, it's the math behind the new pipes. Having to figure out how much MJ is being transfered.. I would dread starting my survival with gold conductive pipes to get enough energy to make energy conduits with no powerloss. The new Buildcraft pipes I don't even understand how they work XD

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, it is literally 10x. That's how much more MJ an EnderIO conduit can carry, plus it stacks with other EnderIO pipes. And then there's Universal Cable.
last time i checked conduit was able to carry 1000 mj/t and diamond pipe was able too . the only disadvantage i see with pipes is the ability to put such amount of power into pipe network, because wooden pipe was only capable of taking 32 mj/t, which was only noticeable when TE with it`s energy cell was involved.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The new buildcraft pipes are fairly epic.
the explody overloads are gone, and the capacity been rebalanced depending on material (4MJ cobble->1024MJ diamond I think)
(last version I used a conduit could only take 500MJ).

Also each one has a tooltip telling you the maximum capacity (for those who like tooltips- not my cup of tea but I can live with it)
No explosions means you can use a 'weaker' pipe to throttle back power to certain machines.
(so you can have a forestry multifarm on the main line and not worry about it sucking down all the power)

Power loss isnt too noticeable either, 36lp boiler at sea level (y64)could run a MFR bore at a good whack (y128)- total pipe length about 100 units (gold).

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
No explosions means you can use a 'weaker' pipe to throttle back power to certain machines.
(so you can have a forestry multifarm on the main line and not worry about it sucking down all the power)

Power loss isnt too noticeable either, 36lp boiler at sea level (y64)could run a MFR bore at a good whack (y128)- total pipe length about 100 units (gold).

That's because there is no power loss in conductive pipes. None. Zero. Nada. Only wooden pipes bleed power when their internal 1,500 MJ is filled up... at a rate of about 1 MJ per 5 seconds. That is 0.01 MJ/t that only happens if there's no way for the power to go. And of course if an engine inputs more than the pipe can hold, that is lost as well (yes, you can now let your steam engines run 24/7 without worrying for them to stall).

There's seriously no reason to use anything more expensive than a conductive pipe anymore, unless you want to transport more than 256 MJ/t along a single line (because diamonds continue being kinda valuable). They make perfect early- to midgame solutions, which is a huge step up from the utter uselessness they had in early 1.5 and before. By the time you have the energy throughput to overload a gold line, you should be well capable of producing a more expensive upgrade, like a conduit... but the important part is, there is absolutely no downside anymore to using the pipes up to that point. Or for small side installations and outpost bases.

I also managed to build a sort-of-MJ-storage system with them, when instead of industrial steam engines, I build commercial steam engines on my boilers in my last map. Twice as many engines meant twice as many wooden conductive pipes. And then I added some more engines, so that not all of them ran at full speed, for even more wooden pipes. With each of them buffering 1,500 MJ, that gives quite a bit of buffer storage. I had 24 wooden pipes between three 12LP boilers, for a buffer of up to 36,000 MJ. That's enough to burst out a handful of autarchic gates really quickly even if you have a lot more lasers on your assembly table that you can normally provide constant energy for (and the lasers themselves have a buffer too). As a result, I didn't need any fancy-shamncy max size HP boilers that wasted 99% of their output except for those five seconds per day when I needed a burst.

Always fun to see people who haven't even used a feature to call it "terrible". It just shows they haven't recently allocated any time to reshuffle their prejudices ;)

P.S.: Forestry multifarms don't need to be throttled. They never needed to be. They will only ever consume exactly as much power as they need to, which is 20 MJ per block worked. It's the old Forestry farms that gobbled as much power as you'd let them without giving you anything in return. The multifarms were introduced precisely to address that issue (among many others).

I've been powering two different farms - an arboretum and an orchard - off of one hobbyist steam engine. That still had power to spare of its 1.6 MJ/t output, because the multifarms are just that frugal.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I honestly didn't know about the zero loss.
(kinda a shame really- I've had a lot of fun in older versions designing zero-loss energy grids which use far less conventional methods. RIP random emergent gameplay designs)

Always fun to see people who haven't even used a feature to call it "terrible". It just shows they haven't recently allocated any time to reshuffle their prejudices ;)

Yeah- its one of my pet peeves. (though even funnier when they clearly haven't played it, and say the total opposite of a mod/feature.)

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
Right as I go out of town TE is going to be released. At least I'll have something to look forward to.

Geo Terra

Jul 29, 2019
Eeheehee, can't wait for the drop, should it actually happen.

A somewhat on-topic question: If I have a world w/o Builcraft, what are my options for pulling power off of some Industrial Steam Engines connected to a Steam Boiler from RC, assuming that CJ doesn't adopt RF? I would think EnderIO, but I wanted to make sure.