Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I hadn't meant for this to turn into a flame war over mod authors having configs and agreeing to demands (from public or closer). I agree with Skyqula in that mfr has a lot of light-hearted fun stuff and is different in that way from TE; I hope TE stays on track with how it is now. I didn't share it before because I thought it of little value to do so but the specific config option that I had requested was in fact quite simple. The only real reason I use mfr is for the rednet cables because they're quite nice; they are more efficient than vanilla, more convenient than vanilla, more powerful than vanilla but they are cheaper than vanilla. I saw that there are numerous config options for recipes (which I greatly appreciated) but none that seemed to effect these cables so in irc I proposed that the output might be configurable for the crafting recipe (incredibly simple to do). This was turned down in a less than gracious manner and I turned to enderIO instead.
Being completely content to not use mfr in my personal modpack I carried on blissfully playing until this new turn of events (the passing on of TE). I will absolutely not boycott the mod because skyboy is maintaining it, I do however, know that there are other mods to fill the void if I ever need to drop Thermal Expansion :)

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I hadn't meant for this to turn into a flame war over mod authors having configs and agreeing to demands (from public or closer). I agree with Skyqula in that mfr has a lot of light-hearted fun stuff and is different in that way from TE; I hope TE stays on track with how it is now. I didn't share it before because I thought it of little value to do so but the specific config option that I had requested was in fact quite simple. The only real reason I use mfr is for the rednet cables because they're quite nice; they are more efficient than vanilla, more convenient than vanilla, more powerful than vanilla but they are cheaper than vanilla. I saw that there are numerous config options for recipes (which I greatly appreciated) but none that seemed to effect these cables so in irc I proposed that the output might be configurable for the crafting recipe (incredibly simple to do). This was turned down in a less than gracious manner and I turned to enderIO instead.
Being completely content to not use mfr in my personal modpack I carried on blissfully playing until this new turn of events (the passing on of TE). I will absolutely not boycott the mod because skyboy is maintaining it, I do however, know that there are other mods to fill the void if I ever need to drop Thermal Expansion :)

That is not an "incredibly simple" config option. And how can MFR rednet cables be cheaper than vanilla? Red net cables don't exist in vanilla. The recipe configs are for machines and were added because of modpacks.

For all intents and purposes you went to a mod dev and went:

I personally don't care for the recipe for one of your items. I think its too cheap in my personal game. Please write a config option so I can pick a different recipe when I play with MFR.

The modpack creators went to the author and went:

Love the mod. Getting a bit of an imbalance with some mod combinations though. Its really well balanced for vanilla but if we put these other mods together with it the machines for MFR are a lot cheaper. We can of course just edit the recipes ourselves, but if you had some time would you mind adding a medium and hard difficult recipe config?

Reactions: PierceSG and Flipz

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
So I guess this is a bug with TE?
If I rotate a redstone repeater with a crescent hammer, it loses its ability to transmit redstone signals.
(unless the signal itself updates)
My setup was basically an autonomous activator + crescent hammer, to rotate the repeater- which would've made a fairly neat timer...
dWRyvW2.png

(modpack version= Agrarian skies 2.12/current recommended version)

--Edit, levers can only be switched on, and not off again

Last edited:

hyper1on

Jul 29, 2019
Actually configs can be difficult to add. Depends on the config.

Definintly true. It depends on what is being configured. Sometimes to add a "simple" option you need to add lines of code to whatever is being configured... So it will read and use the config option.

Someone who hasn't done any programming doesn't truly understand this. Personally I haven't done any java programming, only PHP. But I know that sometimes requesting something could mean many hours of work on someone's part. Sometimes I even feel bad making a bug report because I know someone will take time to dig through code to fix it ;)

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, if we are arbitrarily putting words in people's mouths this might as well have been how it went:

Me a random dev: Hey I really like your mod when I tried it, but I am more used to many of the similar mechanics from other mods; your rednet cabling really exceeds anything else and I enjoy using it a lot. I noticed that you have options to have themed alternative recipes for many of the blocks, thanks for this, it has helped me balance my game a lot. The one thing that sticks out to be is the price of the rednet cables, plastic ends up being really cheap with a smelting system and a rubber farm setup, cheap enough to not amount to almost anything with my infrastructure. It ends up seeming like a trade of three redstone dust (three blocks worth of travel) into 8 pipes (8 blocks of travel, including perfectly vertical). I think it would be a genuine help to player's balance if you were to allow the output to be configurable. Thanks :)

Modpack makers: You need to give us thermal expansion recipe options or it doesn't make a single ftb pack, there are other mods we can use.

The config option is literally the easiest config option I can think of to implement; it is just a integer variable (by definition "less complex" than strings, floats and doubles), and this gets placed directly into the recipe registry instead of the hardcoded 8 which it is now. The default would still be able to be 8. If another dev could come and tell me that it is not as easy as I am making it out to be, I would be impressed.

Reactions: Skyqula

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, if we are arbitrarily putting words in people's mouths this might as well have been how it went:

Me a random dev: Hey I really like your mod when I tried it, but I am more used to many of the similar mechanics from other mods; your rednet cabling really exceeds anything else and I enjoy using it a lot. I noticed that you have options to have themed alternative recipes for many of the blocks, thanks for this, it has helped me balance my game a lot. The one thing that sticks out to be is the price of the rednet cables, plastic ends up being really cheap with a smelting system and a rubber farm setup, cheap enough to not amount to almost anything with my infrastructure. It ends up seeming like a trade of three redstone dust (three blocks worth of travel) into 8 pipes (8 blocks of travel, including perfectly vertical). I think it would be a genuine help to player's balance if you were to allow the output to be configurable. Thanks :)

Modpack makers: You need to give us thermal expansion recipe options or it doesn't make a single ftb pack, there are other mods we can use.

The config option is literally the easiest config option I can think of to implement; it is just a integer variable (by definition "less complex" than strings, floats and doubles), and this gets placed directly into the recipe registry instead of the hardcoded 8 which it is now. The default would still be able to be 8. If another dev could come and tell me that it is not as easy as I am making it out to be, I would be impressed.

Um no. We did not say it wouldn't make packs. If you haven't noticed the FTB pack creators are quite capable of modifying recipes when we need to.

Your statement earlier was "rednet cables are cheaper than vanilla" Not other mods. Its still you personally don't care for the cost and you want a mod dev to add a config option to change one recipe you don't care for. There is quite a large difference between requesting a config because of one recipe with no backup example of where the balance break exists and requesting a config option with a list of mods and machines that end up being off-balance in numerous packs. I'm sorry if you can't see the difference.

We are very careful not to tell mod authors what they can and can't do. And I can't think of any situation in which I or Eyamaz would tell someone a recipe was going to keep them out of FTB packs. Yes there is always going to be the fact that we could refuse to use mods in packs if they don't fit what we need. But a recipe is not going to do that. And skyboy and powercrystal are very aware of that.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Since the MinecraftForums thread for TE got locked, I was hoping to follow this one for updates as we know of them. I hope this one doesn't also become locked.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Um no. We did not say it wouldn't make packs. If you haven't noticed the FTB pack creators are quite capable of modifying recipes when we need to.

I've noticed that. And on that note wasn't there some talk about a way to have packs with several different packs to chose from?

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Your statement earlier was "rednet cables are cheaper than vanilla" Not other mods. Its still you personally not caring for the cost and you want a mod dev to add a config option to change one recipe you don't care for. There is quite a large difference between requesting a config because of one recipe with no backup example of where the balance break exists and requesting a config option with a list of mods and machines that end up being off-balance in numerous packs. I'm sorry if you can't see the difference.
I absolutely see the difference, I was simply showing that anyone can put words in other people's mouths.
I still never compared rednet cable's prices with other mods, I simply pointed out that a hypothetical conversation may have included me saying that they were well done compared to alternatives.
Also you can't know that no back up example was given in terms of their relative low costs in that specific conversation.
I truly do not mean to come off as rude, I respect the work you and the rest of the team do, and I know that you respect mod devs. I do have a right to defend myself and my opinions.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I love MFR Rednet Cables simply because of how simple, elegant, and powerful they are. Once you start playing around with the color channels and, particularly, the PRC, it is trememdously powerful for automation and a real time-saver, plus multiblock compatible so you can hide them behind walls.