Request Suggest mods for creation here

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
CRISPR (a non cheaty alternative to Gendustry).

Forestries bees (trees and butterflies) are, on the one hand, an interesting exploration of mendelian inheritance rules in a mod.
On the other hand, mendelian inheritance rules make bees difficult to work with in a goal / production oriented way - and thus mods like Gendustry.
The problem with gendustry is that, with a little RF, you essentially get to ignore mendelian inheritance AND ignore the vagaries of Forestries mutation mechanisim.

And thus I propose an alternative to Gendustry. The core feature of this Forestry addon is that it leaves mutation, and other short term breeding alone.

It DOES allow drones / princesses / queens to be pulped and sequenced, such that "traits" can be extracted as some kind of serum.
It does NOT allow drones / princesses or queens to have their existing DNA altered.
Instead, It re-adds a method to obtain bee larvae. Representing eggs, Bee larvae can be manipulated via a new CRISPR like mechanisim, where targeted genes are removed, and replaced. The larvae can be matured into princesses, that must be cross bred with regular unmodified drones, and the player must attempt to preserve the improved gene line.

This mod specifically would add:
* A frame that in an apiary would encourage the production of larvae as an extra output.
* A alveary block that does the same.
* A block/multiblock that sequences DNA samples (princesses, drones, queens, larvae) to produce genes /alelles.
* A block / multiblock that takes genes to replace and new genes - and produces a CRISPR serum by multiplying the inputs.
* The serum can be applied to a larvae in a crafting bench, and it will cut the targeted genes and replace them with the provided genes.

This mod - purposely - leaves all the "pain" of breeding and mutating bees alone. It does however provide a mechanism by which superior traits can be extracted and applied selectively to bee species such that, with sufficient investment, it gets progressively easier to apply optimal traits to all new and existing bee lines while still preserving the spirit of mendelian inheritance and Forestries rng based mutation mechanisim.

Refinements:
* to mature a larvae into a drone or princess, they must be fed honey drops or royal jelly.
* The genetic sequencer could tend to produce gene sequences with more than one gene. In order to be used to make a crispr cut and replace serum, the serum maker would have to be provided with at least 1 "paste" gene for each "cut" gene.
* It might be possible to create a serum with multiple "cut" genes for each "paste" gene. For example you might create a gene that says "Cut Temp_None, Temp_Both_1; Paste Temp_Both_2". This would replace any instances of temperature tolerante none, or both_1 on the target genome, with temp tolerance both_2.
* Princesses created from larvae would probably be ignoble, to fit with Forestries balance. However it still opens up the option of automating ignoble princesses.

Last edited:

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I have heard rumors that Azanor is resuming work on Thaumcraft. It would be absolutely wonderful to have either a zoom feature or slider-bars on the Thaumonomicon GUI to aid navigation (Is there really nothing else on this page, or have I just not dragged far enough and something's hiding in the corner?)

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen a lot of 'Colony Building' mods, but I haven't seen one that's based on the game Colony Survival. I would love to see a mod where players can hire colonists to help perform repetitive manual labor tasks like farming, mining, etc. at the cost of food.

Also, are there any mods besides Mekanism that offer 5x ore processing systems? If not, I really think that more tech mods should add their own 5x ore processing systems without having to download Mekanism, because I've heard it's not as balanced as other mods towards modpacks.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Suggested this two pages ago.
A consistent server KB mod.
I get hit with an egg and go like 9 blocks
But when I hit someone with a KB 2 sword they go like 1 block.....

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Few suggestions...

mod for Actually Addtions - add blocks that do the in world crafting.

also a mod suite that adds construction features from other mods (or new ones on its own)
clipboard
sextant (from botania) or old builders guide (miss you my friend)
stick that lets you choose which side to build on
easier way to make dye (dye farm)
scaffold

add some kind of magnifying glass to chisel and bits (the one from super circuit maker works great but it isn't in the same pack always)

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
How about a new magic mod for FTB modpacks that's a spiritual successor in a way to Ars Magica?

Much like Ars Magica, players can craft spells and magic they can then equip in a spellbook. Players can have choices to craft various spells inspired by various RPGs ranging from white magic spells like Cure and Esuna, to black magic spells like Toad and Thundara.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm pretty sure "Esuna" and "Toad" (unless the latter is exactly what it sounds like, turning someone into one) would mean literally nothing to someone who hasn't played those kinds of RPGs. Maybe a bit more generic than you were thinking. But otherwise, that's an interesting idea. Ars Magica may be being worked on for 1.10+, we'll have to see. Can they just choose to craft them, in your idea, or do they need to research or find things to unlock types of magic or key words?

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Would love a building mod that offered features like:

Mirror mode: Designate a block or line between blocks and when ever you place a block on one side of the block it places a block on the otherside (space engineers has a feature like this in it already, for reference)
Step down mode: right click a block to place a block like normal, but it places it one lower or one higher than it normally would.
sextant(botania) like item that has different shapes to it... (think I may have mentioned it before lol but not with different shapes)

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I'm pretty sure "Esuna" and "Toad" (unless the latter is exactly what it sounds like, turning someone into one) would mean literally nothing to someone who hasn't played those kinds of RPGs. Maybe a bit more generic than you were thinking. But otherwise, that's an interesting idea. Ars Magica may be being worked on for 1.10+, we'll have to see. Can they just choose to craft them, in your idea, or do they need to research or find things to unlock types of magic or key words?

Toad does, in fact, turn the target into a toad. Esuna is a status effect cure - doesn't heal damage, but removes things like Poison, Blindness, Toad, etc. The origin of the word is somewhat unclear, but the best fan-theory I've seen is that 'na' is a suffix meaning 'negate' and 'es' is simply the abbreviation 'S' for 'Status'. (Some of the re-released Final Fantasy games call Esuna 'Remedy', which would be a good renaming to avoid potential 'dings' from SquareEnix.)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Toad does, in fact, turn the target into a toad. Esuna is a status effect cure - doesn't heal damage, but removes things like Poison, Blindness, Toad, etc. The origin of the word is somewhat unclear, but the best fan-theory I've seen is that 'na' is a suffix meaning 'negate' and 'es' is simply the abbreviation 'S' for 'Status'. (Some of the re-released Final Fantasy games call Esuna 'Remedy', which would be a good renaming to avoid potential 'dings' from SquareEnix.)
I’ve got a funny feeling it might have been called Remedy in FF XII... hm. But basically: Bucket o’ Milk?