Request Suggest mods for creation here

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Is there a mod out there that adds... I guess you could call them chunk correlators? Essentially, what I'm after is a way to say "If this chunk is loaded, force load these other five chunks as well. If none of them would be loaded, don't force load them."

It would be very useful for base-spanning machinery and automation, where if (say) your machinery is loaded but your power generation isn't, you run into problems. Standard chunk loaders work, but are less server friendly - you don't necessarily need your base to be loaded while you're not there, you just need to make sure that at no point does it ever only have half your base loaded.

Does anything like this exist?
Hoppers facing into a chunk border do indeed do that, or at least they did last time I checked. There doesn't even need to be anything in the hopper, or any inventory in the other chunk to put it into- an empty hopper will ensure that the chunk the block it's pointing into is in will be loaded as long as the hopper itself is loaded.

As for potential TPS issues, I doubt they're as bad as Chris Becke seems to think, at least as long as you don't go overkill and keep hundreds of chunks loaded this way. Lag associated with the individual hoppers being derps might possibly be mitigated, at least partially, by placing a block of cobblestone on top of them- if they're coded even slightly sanely, this would prevent the hopper from doing an Axis Aligned Bounding Box check on the space above it every tick, since there wouldn't be any entities there to look for. But even that may not help; Mojang is pretty well known for poor coding practices.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Hoppers facing into a chunk border do indeed do that, or at least they did last time I checked. There doesn't even need to be anything in the hopper, or any inventory in the other chunk to put it into- an empty hopper will ensure that the chunk the block it's pointing into is in will be loaded as long as the hopper itself is loaded.

As for potential TPS issues, I doubt they're as bad as Chris Becke seems to think, at least as long as you don't go overkill and keep hundreds of chunks loaded this way. Lag associated with the individual hoppers being derps might possibly be mitigated, at least partially, by placing a block of cobblestone on top of them- if they're coded even slightly sanely, this would prevent the hopper from doing an Axis Aligned Bounding Box check on the space above it every tick, since there wouldn't be any entities there to look for. But even that may not help; Mojang is pretty well known for poor coding practices.
I have heard bad stuff about hoppers but that was about them not liking it when the inventory they feed into is full.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Is there a mod out there that adds... I guess you could call them chunk correlators? Essentially, what I'm after is a way to say "If this chunk is loaded, force load these other five chunks as well. If none of them would be loaded, don't force load them."

It would be very useful for base-spanning machinery and automation, where if (say) your machinery is loaded but your power generation isn't, you run into problems. Standard chunk loaders work, but are less server friendly - you don't necessarily need your base to be loaded while you're not there, you just need to make sure that at no point does it ever only have half your base loaded.

Does anything like this exist?

Wasn't there a config option with chicken chunks that would turn off loaders if the owner player wasn't online? Would this not give you what you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Wasn't there a config option with chicken chunks that would turn off loaders if the owner player wasn't online? Would this not give you what you need?

Yes it does. Or you can use Railcrafts Personal Anchor.

The "problem" is that the chicken chunks chunk loader (or the personal anchor) is bound to the person who placed it. So if a base is shared, or a 2nd player wanders past, a personal anchor would not protect from partially loaded bases - which can be catastrophic with mods like Rotarycraft or Railcraft that can explode devices that are deprived of things like coolant.

EnderIO is a mod that is on the one hand super annoying, but it does implement this kind of logic - using opis to diagnose why chunks stay loaded on my server i found that EnderIO traces the extents of a conduit, and ensures that all the chunks are loaded. It does this without registering an explicit ticket with forge which is bad, but I think it might actually be well behaved as long as no dimensional transceivers are used as they seem to act as defacto chunk loaders and reload their chunks even on server restarts.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
You could build it with buildcraft. Just start with a chest full of - say - cobble - in the sentinel chunk, pumping into BC item pipe. Run the pipe through all required chunks - but crucially not back into the initial chunk. Now - as long as the first chunk is loaded, items will be pushed into the pipe. As long as items are flowing through pipes, the chunks those pipes pass through will be loaded.
I don't know if the first chunk will ever unload however - I hope that, as items are not being pushed across its boundary into it it will unload normally, the items will thus stop flowing, and the remaining chunks might unload too.
Or not.

You could probably use AE to route the items back into the first chunk from the last - AE is generally quite good at not force loading any chunks. Which, despite its other performance issues, earns it major points and a place on my server.

That's good, but only allows for one master chunk. The ideal would be some sort of network that keeps everything loaded if one of them is loaded, then does periodic checks to see if it's the only thing keeping those chunks loaded, and if it is, stopping.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
The "problem" is that the chicken chunks chunk loader (or the personal anchor) is bound to the person who placed it. So if a base is shared, or a 2nd player wanders past, a personal anchor would not protect from partially loaded bases - which can be catastrophic with mods like Rotarycraft or Railcraft that can explode devices that are deprived of things like coolant.

.... Each player that shares the base makes chunk loaders?

Maybe ask Chicken_Bones to add in a config to the gui of the chunk loader to add players to recognize?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
A mod that allows the creation of dimensions using template files - where the template files can use blocks and items from other mods.
So I could add a template file that would add a
* Wasteland dimension using vanilla desert and mesa biomes to create a neverending desert with occasional oasis.
* A tainted dimension that consists entirely of Thaumcraft tainted lands, surrounding a patch of magical forest at spawn.
* An under-the-sea dimension that is mostly filled with water, using BoP biomes and plants if available.
* An eternal twilight dimension, using biomes from vanilla, custom trees, items and mobs from Thaumcraft and Witchery to create a magical exploration experience.
* deep space / skyblock dimensions.
Because it adds no blocks items of mobs of its own, this mod could ideally be server sided allowing admins to add content to existing modpacks.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
A mod that allows the creation of dimensions using template files - where the template files can use blocks and items from other mods.
So I could add a template file that would add a
* Wasteland dimension using vanilla desert and mesa biomes to create a neverending desert with occasional oasis.
* A tainted dimension that consists entirely of Thaumcraft tainted lands, surrounding a patch of magical forest at spawn.
* An under-the-sea dimension that is mostly filled with water, using BoP biomes and plants if available.
* An eternal twilight dimension, using biomes from vanilla, custom trees, items and mobs from Thaumcraft and Witchery to create a magical exploration experience.
* deep space / skyblock dimensions.
Because it adds no blocks items of mobs of its own, this mod could ideally be server sided allowing admins to add content to existing modpacks.
It's called Mystcraft.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Or Dimension control
Or MultiWorld
Or RfTools (EDIT: check for a next page before posting :)
Or ... anyone else?

Flabort

Jul 29, 2019
No, no, I think he wants the dimensions to be programmed into the Configs, so that you can use item IDs and biome definitions in the config in order to make the dimensions; RFTools I know doesn't use stuff added from other mods in it's dimension gen, the dimensions are created in game, and the dimensions can run out of power; I haven't used the others, but I'm sure they're mostly the same concerning creation.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted a mod that was primarily server sided so clients didn't have to have it. It would rely on config to define the dimensions. To be most useful it might be a bukkit type plugin so it could be used on servers for vanilla clients.

GLaDOS

Jul 29, 2019
i know somkind of mod but it was canceld its called >finite liquid<
basicly it make all liquid not infinite, all liquids flows down to the lowest point in the world they can go to
makes it harder on suvival maps like agarian skies ect.
but also more fun just in normal survival
this is the link of it http://djoslin.info/finiteliquid.php
i hope FTB can pick it up i totally love the mod

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
If you just want it for water and lava, look at Realistic Fluids Overhaul
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...listic-fluids-overhaul-finite-water-and-stuff

Current download: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/realistic-fluids-overhaul-compatibility-and

4Head is currently re-writing it from scratch, for better performance (multithreaded), and work with all (? Automatic? Only registered?) fluids. My version works for Lava and Water, but has serious performance issues (keep both update ranges to 3 chunks)

Reactions: arkwolf1995

GLaDOS

Jul 29, 2019
sweet i touth that this mod has died by now
btw does it also work with all the other fluid mods like ethenal and biosmass and fuel ect ?
but i wil look in it thanks mate

is it possible to get it standard in the FTB mod packs ?

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
You'd have to ask 4Head if the new version supports all liquids, or only those it is told to use.

There are a large number of mods that break because their assumptions are wrong; this cannot go into large packs without config adjustments.

My current forked version is alpha; I believe it is "mostly correct", but the performance stinks.