Request Suggest mods for creation here

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Not so much a mod, but a forge extension: The ability to provide (forge) an external location to store its block id registry.
This would allow players and server operators, the ability to create save games in a mod pack that are McEdit compatible.

Reactions: Slind

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Not so much a mod, but a forge extension: The ability to provide (forge) an external location to store its block id registry.
This would allow players and server operators, the ability to create save games in a mod pack that are McEdit compatible.
Either that or a mod-friendliness update (or fork?) of MMC that lets it save a save's string ID <-> numeric ID mappings with any schematics created from that save, and then use that to translate the schematic to the numeric IDs used by any saves it's inserted into.

Speaking of which, it'd be nice if NEI's inventory save feature did the same thing.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I still really want a universal ingot/ore mod. I wonder if you could convert the items on launch?
Thermal Foundation's probably the closest thing to a universal ore/ingot mod that there is at the time. Unless you count GregTech with its automatic (and occasionally problematic) ore dictionary unification.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Foundation's probably the closest thing to a universal ore/ingot mod that there is at the time. Unless you count GregTech with its automatic (and occasionally problematic) ore dictionary unification.
Rename this thread to "S*** on peoples ideas" Ik about those two but they are problematic and add machines and mechanics that I don't want.

EDIT: Another issue is mods like immersive engineering and gregtech and MFR which don't always accept the metals from other mods.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
If there is a mod *Extremely* close to what's suggested than that's fine. But people don't come here to find sorta or kinda what they're looking for.

Flabort

Jul 29, 2019
There is one - it's not perfect, but I think it's actually default NEI (Or maybe a plugin). Hover over an item and press "i".

artubi

Jul 29, 2019
Wanted: A client sided mod - or NEI plugin - that shows all the enchants a particular item is eligible for.
Not Enough Resources
Hover over item and press "U" (the key that NEI uses to show item use in other recipes). List through tabs and there will tab named Enchantments.
It does have several other functions such as diagram for ore spawning, mob drops, dungedon / mineshaft loot chart.

There is one - it's not perfect, but I think it's actually default NEI (Or maybe a plugin). Hover over an item and press "i".
WAILA adds that.

San

Jul 29, 2019
If I want to commission a mod to be made should I do it here or in a new thread?

By commission I mean provide a description of desired content and offer payment as incentive

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
If I want to commission a mod to be made should I do it here or in a new thread?

By commission I mean provide a description of desired content and offer payment as incentive
if you want anything done, then this isn't the tread for you.

Reactions: immibis

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a mod out there that adds... I guess you could call them chunk correlators? Essentially, what I'm after is a way to say "If this chunk is loaded, force load these other five chunks as well. If none of them would be loaded, don't force load them."

It would be very useful for base-spanning machinery and automation, where if (say) your machinery is loaded but your power generation isn't, you run into problems. Standard chunk loaders work, but are less server friendly - you don't necessarily need your base to be loaded while you're not there, you just need to make sure that at no point does it ever only have half your base loaded.

Does anything like this exist?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a mod out there that adds... I guess you could call them chunk correlators? Essentially, what I'm after is a way to say "If this chunk is loaded, force load these other five chunks as well. If none of them would be loaded, don't force load them."

It would be very useful for base-spanning machinery and automation, where if (say) your machinery is loaded but your power generation isn't, you run into problems. Standard chunk loaders work, but are less server friendly - you don't necessarily need your base to be loaded while you're not there, you just need to make sure that at no point does it ever only have half your base loaded.

If only.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm.

So, something for "If this chunk is loaded, then load this adjacent chunk"?

... no, that doesn't work because it doesn't allow unloading.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
It may work in you have chunkloaders that can load an area without being inside said area. Then if the chunkloader gets unloaded the area it loads have nothing to keep them loaded and thus should unload.
A vanilla way to do something like this could be through hoppers but I am not sure if mojang removed that use of them already in 1.7.10

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

You could build it with buildcraft. Just start with a chest full of - say - cobble - in the sentinel chunk, pumping into BC item pipe. Run the pipe through all required chunks - but crucially not back into the initial chunk. Now - as long as the first chunk is loaded, items will be pushed into the pipe. As long as items are flowing through pipes, the chunks those pipes pass through will be loaded.
I don't know if the first chunk will ever unload however - I hope that, as items are not being pushed across its boundary into it it will unload normally, the items will thus stop flowing, and the remaining chunks might unload too.
Or not.

You could probably use AE to route the items back into the first chunk from the last - AE is generally quite good at not force loading any chunks. Which, despite its other performance issues, earns it major points and a place on my server.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
You could build it with buildcraft. Just start with a chest full of - say - cobble - in the sentinel chunk, pumping into BC item pipe. Run the pipe through all required chunks - but crucially not back into the initial chunk. Now - as long as the first chunk is loaded, items will be pushed into the pipe. As long as items are flowing through pipes, the chunks those pipes pass through will be loaded.
I don't know if the first chunk will ever unload however - I hope that, as items are not being pushed across its boundary into it it will unload normally, the items will thus stop flowing, and the remaining chunks might unload too.
Or not.

You could probably use AE to route the items back into the first chunk from the last - AE is generally quite good at not force loading any chunks. Which, despite its other performance issues, earns it major points and a place on my server.
If hoppers still load wouldn't they be better instead of long pipes with items traveling through them?
I know that hoppers aren't exactly the best coded things but surely the fact that you only need 1 (if I remember correctly) per chunk loaded ar better then 16 pipes or so with items traveling through them per chunk loaded?
It also wouldn't surprise me they would be faster to unload themselves.
If hoppers fail, there are redstone contraptions that are probably faster at unloading themselves if the main chunk gets unloaded and I don't think they are that much of a performance hit.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If hoppers still load wouldn't they be better instead of long pipes with items traveling through them?
I know that hoppers aren't exactly the best coded things but surely the fact that you only need 1 (if I remember correctly) per chunk loaded ar better then 16 pipes or so with items traveling through them per chunk loaded?
It also wouldn't surprise me they would be faster to unload themselves.
If hoppers fail, there are redstone contraptions that are probably faster at unloading themselves if the main chunk gets unloaded and I don't think they are that much of a performance hit.

Hoppers are awful. Even when they are doing nothing they are at the top of Opis reports. Ive had quarries feeding into sorting rooms consuming less cpu than a single, idle, hopper.