Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
So in short, anyone have recommendations for replacements for Redpower2 blocks like Basalt in builds?
Just in case.

Adding blocks is the hello world of mods. it's more about finding the artist to make the texture than the programming.

Laguy

Jul 29, 2019
Back on topic, and oh God I'm not so sure this is the wisest idea for the flak I'm about to take, but whatever:

Would anyone be interested in a mod hat you would run once, and it would pretty much safely uninstall RP2? Replace worldgen, refund materials for any RP2 stuff in chests (not placed, that would be a headache), replace gem turtles with normal turtles, stuff like that? Can't do anything about microblocks, I don't think, nor in place machinery and such, but I can at least make sure there aren't large holes in the ground, and basically give people an option to rebuild instead of restart.

Again, not sure if the interest is there, not sure if I'd be stepping on any toes. If the answer to the first is no, and/or the answer to the second is yes, I'll gladly withdraw the offer, and regardless it would take me a while of testing to make sure I don't break more than I fix, so it won't happen immediately, like a month or so.

So, flame on? *ducks*
Actually I think this is a great idea. Based upon the current lack of information on RP development it gives folks another option that either don't think Elo is coming back and/or are tired of waiting for her to be one of the last to update to the latest release and want to move away from RP in their existing worlds. Keeping the existing worldgen materials in place with something that at least looked like the current materials is a great plan.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Been following this thread for awhile. Joined just to throw in my two cents on things.
I'm currently helping set up a new server for the DW20 Pack. We were planning on opening for the masses with 1.5.1, and have been working on a large spawn area with various visually impressive and informative things. With the current, unsettled nature, of RP2 we are left with some inconveniences.
I've noted a possible microblock replacement has been lined up in the mod list in the google doc, but I am at a lost for a suitable replacement for Marble and Basalt. The new Quartz added in Vanilla could probably be enough.

So in short, anyone have recommendations for replacements for Redpower2 blocks like Basalt in builds?
Just in case.
Underground biomes. I wish it was in every pack, it's an architects dream.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Underground biomes. I wish it was in every pack, it's an architects dream.

Yeah I know people love it for building, but the actual net result is that it makes mining so ugly. :( Seems counter-productive to its original purpose. It also breaks Forestry (apatite spawn gets even weirder than usual), causes Ars Magica to get confused sometimes, and confuses Biomes o Plenty.

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
Back on topic, and oh God I'm not so sure this is the wisest idea for the flak I'm about to take, but whatever:

Would anyone be interested in a mod hat you would run once, and it would pretty much safely uninstall RP2? Replace worldgen, refund materials for any RP2 stuff in chests (not placed, that would be a headache), replace gem turtles with normal turtles, stuff like that? Can't do anything about microblocks, I don't think, nor in place machinery and such, but I can at least make sure there aren't large holes in the ground, and basically give people an option to rebuild instead of restart.

Again, not sure if the interest is there, not sure if I'd be stepping on any toes. If the answer to the first is no, and/or the answer to the second is yes, I'll gladly withdraw the offer, and regardless it would take me a while of testing to make sure I don't break more than I fix, so it won't happen immediately, like a month or so.

So, flame on? *ducks*
Very good idea m8, apart from giving us that believe that elooram is going to update in 6 months an alternative, this also gives a nice perspective to this thread which is a solution, not only insults back and forth. If you make it, ill use it.

/manu

Reactions: INCSlayer

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I know people love it for building, but the actual net result is that it makes mining so ugly. :( Seems counter-productive to its original purpose. It also breaks Forestry (apatite spawn gets even weirder than usual), causes Ars Magica to get confused sometimes, and confuses Biomes o Plenty.
Yeah, but that's a temporary state if they get popular. Which I think they have a high chance of doing. The ugly mining point is... your opinion, and for the record, I did hate it at first as well. But I grew so fond of them. I get lost underground less often as the coloured stone is great for telling the different spots apart, also the differently colored exposed rock faces add so much life to minecraft. I always wanted to build a mage tower on top of a marble cliff, didn't you?

And let's not even get into how wonderfully it is to get out of that dreary gray mining life.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The ugly mining point is... your opinion, and for the record, I did hate it at first as well.

No one renders their ores into the blocks, so you go digging through these interesting blocks and then suddenly neutral grey pops up. This is what I meant by ugly mining. The otherwise really cool theme gets broken. There exists no mechanism to do this, either. It's a problem with pretty much no solution save for explicit texture fixing.

I don't regret adding UB to advancingcraft, though. It definitely makes everything pretty even if it does break some stuff.

And let's not even get into how wonderfully it is to get out of that dreary gray mining life.

I agree. I just wish Forge enabled them to do it right. For me, it's almost worse to see it done halfway.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
That's because they're mutants.

Face it, Minecraft is a post apocalyptic world, with Steve being the last surviving member of humanity. All other humans are zombies. It's been long enough that all the mammals have become hermaphrodites and a wing of the pig family has mutated into a bipedal humanoid shape.
so basically Minecraft is earth if the guys from Red Dwarf actually went back to the planet? no wonder they still a wandering in space!

Reactions: INCSlayer

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
so basically Minecraft is earth if the guys from Red Dwarf actually went back to the planet? no wonder they still a wandering in space!

it would be really funny if they actually represented the earth with blocks and testificates in red dwarf should they ever reach earth
i can imagine cat saying something profound like:
"these people are all a bunch of squares"

Reactions: seannyyx

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
it would be really funny if they actually represented the earth with blocks and testificates in red dwarf should they ever reach earth
i can imagine cat saying something profound like:
"these people are all a bunch of squares"
Which to be honest would be perfectly fitting for Red Dwarf

Reactions: seannyyx

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Someone earlier said: "A game this ugly shouldn't be this hard to run."
100% Agreed.

Which is a relatively recent mindset that personifies the eye-candy generation. Truly good games usually spend as much or more horsepower on game mechanics as they do on graphics.

People expect to be GPU-bound. CPU-bound games surprise them.

martyyp

Jul 29, 2019
all your opinions mean nothing wait until all the other mods are ready to go until someone who knows what theyre talking about says something

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
That's a pity, because I think it makes mining a bit more interesting, since not every tunnel looks identical.

jmixmaster

Jul 29, 2019
All I would like is a simple update, "Hey! I'm alive! RP2 Is coming!" or "Hey! I'm alive, its been great to develop RP2 but I've decided to discontinue it" or anything else along those lines. I really do not think that is too much to ask for, and it would be ridiculous for someone to think that it is.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
All I would like is a simple update, "Hey! I'm alive! RP2 Is coming!" or "Hey! I'm alive, its been great to develop RP2 but I've decided to discontinue it" or anything else along those lines. I really do not think that is too much to ask for, and it would be ridiculous for someone to think that it is.

I actually happen to agree with this point.

It'd take maybe five minutes to type out a simple message to calm the nerves of the people waiting on this mod. Even if she doesn't know what she plans to do, I think saying that would be better than just letting people wildly speculate about it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Maybe she's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.