Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

martyyp

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why people want to rush to 1.5, it's not like it introduces any interesting feature to mod players.
Personally I'd like an epic update to RP2 with more blutricity but what RP2 offers is already quite epic, microblocks, advanced tube system, nice electricity system, nice worldgen and I feel no rush to update to 1.5.
Oh and a fix for relays causing fps drops on clients, just that would make me very happy :p.
I mainly feel the rush to get to 1.5 because now I know when the server I play on is going to reset its map :p So there's really nothing to do that'll be worth your time

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I mainly feel the rush to get to 1.5 because now I know when the server I play on is going to reset its map :p So there's really nothing to do that'll be worth your time

There is a lot to do between now and map reset.

Learn more about a mod.

Go socailize.

Work on a project you have been saving up for but did not want to do becuase you did nto want to use up all your stuff.

Try out some builds and stuff knowing that if they blow up you lost nothing.

find the admins home and cover it in TnT

Jul 29, 2019

There shouldn't be a need to reset the map unless there were significant mod changes (or possibly if RP2 was removed).

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Someone earlier said: "A game this ugly shouldn't be this hard to run."
100% Agreed.
Go play Dwarf fortress, go for a 200 or 300 dwarves fortress, with animals and all.
Play for 5-10 ingame years.

Now come back, and tell me that it didn't slow down after the first few years?

How a game runs has usually not much to do with how it looks.

Sure, if the bottleneck is the graphics card and GPU, then the actual graphics can limit the FPS.
But usually, it's a mix between graphics capabilities, CPU and RAM that make a cap on what you can do.

Yeah, Minecraft runs poorly for what it is, but as a whole, not just the graphics. Most of it is due to the game not being optimized to fully make use of our machines anyway (multi threading, tagging the apply as graphics intensive, small things like that).

If only Mojang could take 6 months to a year without adding a single functionality, they could probably fix every bug, optimize the game by a large margin, and implement a real API that would even put the Elder scrolls series to shame.

But from when they started to release weekly snapshot, they shot themselves in the foot, because they now need to release more and more content, as fast as possible, because people are demanding it.

I should definitely stop looking at this thread, it makes me rage when I see people posting things like that.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
new worldgen? theres the mystcraft argument but tbh thats not good enough lol. I want it to be in the overworld

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Dead again! What the heck? Then again, it is kinda boring now. We don't know RP2's future, we won't until Elo comes out, I really like BTW but not really FC. Topic done, lock time.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
You, sirs, have a lot to learn about how computers in general work. Sure, MC is poorly optimized and doesn't run anywhere as fast as it could with a team of skilled programmers behind it. But the bottleneck is neither graphics nor Java.
I have no idea...what is the bottleneck?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Back on topic, and oh God I'm not so sure this is the wisest idea for the flak I'm about to take, but whatever:

Would anyone be interested in a mod hat you would run once, and it would pretty much safely uninstall RP2? Replace worldgen, refund materials for any RP2 stuff in chests (not placed, that would be a headache), replace gem turtles with normal turtles, stuff like that? Can't do anything about microblocks, I don't think, nor in place machinery and such, but I can at least make sure there aren't large holes in the ground, and basically give people an option to rebuild instead of restart.

Again, not sure if the interest is there, not sure if I'd be stepping on any toes. If the answer to the first is no, and/or the answer to the second is yes, I'll gladly withdraw the offer, and regardless it would take me a while of testing to make sure I don't break more than I fix, so it won't happen immediately, like a month or so.

So, flame on? *ducks*

Reactions: Silas and Laguy

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I think that'd be a fine idea.

If anyone gives you flak for that, they're probably a bit of an asshole.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea...what is the bottleneck?
In MC with tech mods, CPU power needed to calculate tick updates. Which stems from the fact that the tick/entity system is poorly designed with regards to what many tech mods are trying to do. (No events, no passive waiting, all detectors have to actively check their state often to work.) In vanilla, less of that (unless you're running big redstone contraptions), and the runner-up which is poorly written chunk loading and rendering code (opposed to actual complexity of the graphics). That's what Optifine fixes, and that's why it can make the game run many times faster for you, if this is the bottleneck on your machine. Whether that's the case depends on your computer specs.

Reactions: jumpfight5

ECrownofFire

Jul 29, 2019
In the end it comes down to the almost complete lack of multithreading in Minecraft. Ticks are incredibly slow to compute with the way MC does them.

DeGei

Jul 29, 2019
Been following this thread for awhile. Joined just to throw in my two cents on things.
I'm currently helping set up a new server for the DW20 Pack. We were planning on opening for the masses with 1.5.1, and have been working on a large spawn area with various visually impressive and informative things. With the current, unsettled nature, of RP2 we are left with some inconveniences.
I've noted a possible microblock replacement has been lined up in the mod list in the google doc, but I am at a lost for a suitable replacement for Marble and Basalt. The new Quartz added in Vanilla could probably be enough.

So in short, anyone have recommendations for replacements for Redpower2 blocks like Basalt in builds?
Just in case.

Jul 29, 2019
Been following this thread for awhile. Joined just to throw in my two cents on things.
I'm currently helping set up a new server for the DW20 Pack. We were planning on opening for the masses with 1.5.1, and have been working on a large spawn area with various visually impressive and informative things. With the current, unsettled nature, of RP2 we are left with some inconveniences.
I've noted a possible microblock replacement has been lined up in the mod list in the google doc, but I am at a lost for a suitable replacement for Marble and Basalt. The new Quartz added in Vanilla could probably be enough.

So in short, anyone have recommendations for replacements for Redpower2 blocks like Basalt in builds?
Just in case.

As far as I know, so far there has been no official word about removing RP2 by Dire or any other pack. This thread is just community speculation (and, impatience). Unfortunately this also means that an RP2 delay would hold up your server if you're waiting for the update.

Of course, packs updating without it is a possibility, so you have two options:
  • Just use RP2, and replace the blocks with MC edit later if you have to. While I commented before this isn't viable for a working world, if it's just a spawn with asthetic blocks, it shouldn't be an issue. (In terms of worldgen, it wouldn't affect newly generated chunks, and I doubt you'll let people mine under spawn anyway, so just use MCedit to trim the world and regenerate anything outside what you built, and fill in any air pockets for lag prevention).
  • Avoid RP2 just in case. In the event RP2 is removed, I would assume other mods would be put in place to replace as much as possible. While no other FTB mod adds basalt or marble now, I'm sure something like that would be added by some mod somewhere since people like the look and use them extensively. Of course there's no replacement for frames so you'll have to avoid them completely. Other parts have easy substitutes (I.E. buildcraft pipes instead of tubes).
If you're just looking for some other colored blocks to build with, you could try painted construction foam from IC2. It has a cement look.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
This is one of the regrets I do not have because I play primarily on singleplayer.

I may be a very lonely lizard, but I am also a very picky lizard when it comes to what mods I want to play with. Lizard.

Reactions: RedBoss
Status
Not open for further replies.