Rainbow Forest in FTB Monster is like hitting the jackpot

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah the darkness is a nice feature but it's just no good for streaming or making videos, you soon lose your audience when they are staring at a black screen. Will wait for DL and see what that looks like.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
That was fixed in v18.
I thought you had indicated about a factor of 2 reduction; based on the reported numbers for bandwidth used, I was waiting for more of a factor of 10 reduction.

Does the rainbow forest make things too easy? With the current "Drop dyes" instead of "Drop special items", not really. No hostile mobs? Mushroom islands. Lots of mobs? You probably have a farm anyways, and if you didn't, now you do.
I cannot help but notice a lot of this is in direct opposition to what you were saying some weeks ago about the biome.

Oh? I'll review what I said back then.

Rainbow trees as a renewable source of dyes: Not really a problem. Vanilla green and brown are farmable, most people have white from farms (I don't), black isn't that hard to get if you look around for terrain that is favorable (or use mystcraft to make favorable terrain). Heck, even a desert in large biomes, plus two buckets of water, will work just fine.

Red and yellow are absolute PITA's to farm in 164, but are "almost trivial" in 1.7 -- one bonemeal per dye. Lots of mods add colored flowers that can be converted, giving far more supply of them. Getting these two as farmable in 1.6 isn't bad.

Blue, Lapis, is the only oddity, and in vanilla 1.6 the only use for it is either decorative blocks or dye. Again, vanilla's oregen gives you more than you know what to do with, so while it's not farmable directly, there's rarely a shortage either. How that will change with the 1.8 enchanting revamp? No clue. But again, a farmable dye isn't really a problem.

I do remember when brown was rare, and cookies were a real trophy.

With regard to the rainbow biome itself: (surface): It's arguably more powerful, early game, to find one than it should be. Mid-game, it's nothing. It gives you lots of farm animals; by mid-game, you've got a farm, but you might be short.

As a biome where you can mine stuff, with no risk of hostiles? You've gone from rare, hard to find, smaller than normal biome mushroom island, to much easier to find, full-sized, rainbow biome. This is the only issue of balance that is "big" in vanilla with rainbows. Easier to find, larger when you do find it, and just as free of mobs.
(NB: My understanding of the biome placement rules is basically "zoom and fuzzify, repeat". Normal biomes are placed in the first step; mushroom islands are placed after one or two zoom-in steps, so they will be 1/2 or 1/4th the length (x/z, each) of normal biomes. Rainbows don't have that smallification.)

Mystcraft age, rainbow forest, single biome? You can't be expected to balance for that. But it definitely becomes an issue.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah the darkness is a nice feature but it's just no good for streaming or making videos, you soon lose your audience when they are staring at a black screen. Will wait for DL and see what that looks like.

Am I understanding this correctly? Blood and bones gives you light level 0 nighttime, or does it give you "black" custom rendering nighttime? Not even light level 1 for the moon?

So ... you can only see where torches are, or flame arrows, no, that requires dynamic lights.

So you go into your base every night? Yea ... really means having to prep/plan what you are going to film. Still, I remember when Etho described making videos in early minecraft -- having to pause every night when the sun went down because it got too dark, too quickly.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
It's light level 0 as in you can't see ANYTHING, and torches age so they eventually go out, early game is the most watchable but not in BnBs case lol. You can't even sleep, the bed says something like "spawn set, enjoy the night" :)

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
It's light level 0 as in you can't see ANYTHING, and torches age so they eventually go out, early game is the most watchable but not in BnBs case lol. You can't even sleep, the bed says something like "spawn set, enjoy the night" :)

Torches don't age in the 1.6 pack, that was a feature of the 1.5 pack. Your torches are probably being destroyed by mobs.
It will still be dark, but carrying a torch will let you see what's around you.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Hell no they do age, they pop after a short time and it's not mobs, maybe you changed that in the latest version but in 1.0.1 they deffo age and then pop.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I thought you had indicated about a factor of 2 reduction; based on the reported numbers for bandwidth used, I was waiting for more of a factor of 10 reduction.
It varies by machine, from 2 to 16, but the average is probably about 4 to 6. Inventoried ones will see more, as will ones that interface with the shaft power system.

(NB: My understanding of the biome placement rules is basically "zoom and fuzzify, repeat". Normal biomes are placed in the first step; mushroom islands are placed after one or two zoom-in steps, so they will be 1/2 or 1/4th the length (x/z, each) of normal biomes. Rainbows don't have that smallification.)
Early on, I planned to provide an option for that, but I do not believe it to be in my control.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I cannot help but notice a lot of this is in direct opposition to what you were saying some weeks ago about the biome.

Ok, I tracked that discussion down to page(s) 133/134 (dec 27th), and it seems to match what I said then.

The top/surface/animals: unless you are trying to spawn in that (and you had to try a lot of seeds to find one), by the time you find a biome you have a farm.

The underbelly: It's "as safe" as mushroom, but larger (so your caving is less likely to run out of the area, hence safer in practice), and more common (doesn't require searching the ocean for a rare special spawn), so it's significantly better than normal mining.

(Yes, in that first post you quoted I did not pay enough attention to the details -- bigger (safer) and more common than mushroom islands. I do like it's new feature as both taint fighting and instability fighting. As for the 90% ore spawn reduction in mystcraft ages with it, I need to consider the new balancing factors of the new mystcraft.)

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand that. How is it cheating?

Much how adding or removing a mod is an awful thing for people who dont play on your server. If everyone doesnt play their way, they have no way to directly "compete" with them. Since they cant compete anymore, they are missing out on their fun. So why aren't you thinking about how much fun they are having huh?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Much how adding or removing a mod is an awful thing for people who dont play on your server. If everyone doesnt play their way, they have no way to directly "compete" with them. Since they cant compete anymore, they are missing out on their fun. So why aren't you thinking about how much fun they are having huh?
As far as I am concerned, that is their problem.

Reactions: Eyamaz and Hoff

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

If you(Not you specifically) must rely on others, and being 'better' than them, to have fun; you have a problem as far as I'm concerned. Well I should better define that. Forcing others to play in the same way so you can compete is no different than say, griefing, in my opinion. People that choose a platform together and agree upon the rules and then compete are a different area completely.

Reactions: kaovalin