Rainbow Forest in FTB Monster is like hitting the jackpot

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
Could you guys enlighten me and tell me which mod the rainbow forest biome is from? A google search didn't yield any results.

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
Rainbow biomes have serious balance issues.

The whole thing with Lapis: I blame TiC. Lapis is NOT supposed to be for anything but dye and decoration. TiC decided to make lapis do something it doesn't.

Lapis had bee the epitome of useless since it was added to vanilla Minecraft. Someone has actually made it somewhat valuable and that is an issue?

Reactions: AlanEsh

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Lapis had bee the epitome of useless since it was added to vanilla Minecraft. Someone has actually made it somewhat valuable and that is an issue?
Do you not use blue in any of your decor ever? If, essentially, blue dye is useless; so are A TON of things in vanilla minecraft.

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
Do you not use blue in any of your decor ever? If, essentially, blue dye is useless; so are A TON of things in vanilla minecraft.

I just thought the person who I quoted, their argument was a bit ridiculous. Sticks are for fences, torches and making tools, therefore including them in a gear recipe is NOT what they are supposed to be used for, so we shouldn't have anything that uses a gear... I mean really? Vanilla was meant to be played as is, so I guess they would say Mods make the game do something they weren't supposed to do, so mods should cease to be... Genius level logic right?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I just thought the person who I quoted, their argument was a bit ridiculous. Sticks are for fences, torches and making tools, therefore including them in a gear recipe is NOT what they are supposed to be used for, so we shouldn't have anything that uses a gear... I mean really? Vanilla was meant to be played as is, so I guess they would say Mods make the game do something they weren't supposed to do, so mods should cease to be... Genius level logic right?

He never implied that a mod should cease to be. He said that there were serious balance issues with a mod that balances easy production of a sem-rare resource against mods that make use of that resource.

Reactions: Eyamaz

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
The current version of DyeTrees has a way to generate dyes without generating Lapis and bonemeal.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
And no hostiles was just too much; that is something I'd like a config option to turn off.
I found hostile mobs in a Rainbow Forest... Tainted Sheep, Tainted Chickens, and Tainted Pigs... Oh my. If you see taint in a Rainbow Forest, just STAY AWAY! (I died 3 times getting my stuff back.)

Aside from that... yes, the Rainbow Forest can be overpowered. If you spawn inside one, you'll never even need to set up a farm, though you will probably have to deal with framerate issues over time. I would imagine the sheer number of entities (and the color-changing sheep) in one could cause problems for a server. Personally, I'd disable the biome and set dye trees to only drop dyes. With the coming changes to Vanilla enchanting, I would expect the mod author to set the trees to produce dyes by default instead of lapis. Bone meal and ink sacs... meh, it's not really an issue to me, I always have enough of each of those.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could just hop over to the Twilight Forest, find a medium hollow hill, take care of what's inside and enjoy all the lapis in the world. Do you find that too hard? Then just go flying around for a while, looking for the little spider dungeons inside THOSE huge trees until you get a mining tree, and pop that atop a medium/large hollow hill (remembering to put more dirt under the tree after you mine what it pulls up). I don't think you'll need to mine anything again for a few days.
Broken cross-mod interactions are one of the things that make modpacks fun.

And maybe I shouldn't say anything about how you get dyes by pulverizing wool as well, can't let the fun police get me.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could just hop over to the Twilight Forest, find a medium hollow hill, take care of what's inside and enjoy all the lapis in the world. Do you find that too hard? Then just go flying around for a while, looking for the little spider dungeons inside THOSE huge trees until you get a mining tree, and pop that atop a medium/large hollow hill (remembering to put more dirt under the tree after you mine what it pulls up). I don't think you'll need to mine anything again for a few days.
Broken cross-mod interactions are one of the things that make modpacks fun.

And maybe I shouldn't say anything about how you get dyes by pulverizing wool as well, can't let the fun police get me.

Wait, you can pulverize wool? Well I feel like a noob.

But you're right. Imagine if no one had discovered squid power in 1.5. I miss that as a viable power source.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Squid ink to be precise. In 1.5 packs, mfr rancher can harvest a lot of ink sacs from a singular squid and those can be ran through the mfr bioreactor to produce biofuel. As inefficient as it is, as you're only using one kind of item, the input from 1 squid far exceeds the processing speed of several bioreactors.
And therefore led to a nerf in the 1.6.4 version of the ranchers, which affects milk from cows as well. A cooldown is added to "milkable" mobs so the rancher will not work non-stop on one single target.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I found hostile mobs in a Rainbow Forest... Tainted Sheep, Tainted Chickens, and Tainted Pigs... Oh my. If you see taint in a Rainbow Forest, just STAY AWAY! (I died 3 times getting my stuff back.)

Aside from that... yes, the Rainbow Forest can be overpowered. If you spawn inside one, you'll never even need to set up a farm, though you will probably have to deal with framerate issues over time. I would imagine the sheer number of entities (and the color-changing sheep) in one could cause problems for a server. Personally, I'd disable the biome and set dye trees to only drop dyes. With the coming changes to Vanilla enchanting, I would expect the mod author to set the trees to produce dyes by default instead of lapis. Bone meal and ink sacs... meh, it's not really an issue to me, I always have enough of each of those.

DyeTrees is intended to be balanced towards the "overpowered" end, without actually being as such. The mod is designed for an "easy" feel, hence the peaceful but animal-rich biome.

The farmable dye items are intentional - this is provided as a way to get around the need for skeleton/squid farming, and a way to get lapis earlier than a week into the game.
The default is and always will be to use vanilla items, but the option remains to use "Tree Dye" instead.

As for ThaumCraft taint, I am willing to allow it; seeing as I have always seen that biome as semi-magical (and have registered it in the Biome Dictionary as such), a "war of good magic vs evil magic" is kind of interesting.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
DyeTrees is intended to be balanced towards the "overpowered" end, without actually being as such. The mod is designed for an "easy" feel, hence the peaceful but animal-rich biome.

The farmable dye items are intentional - this is provided as a way to get around the need for skeleton/squid farming, and a way to get lapis earlier than a week into the game.
The default is and always will be to use vanilla items, but the option remains to use "Tree Dye" instead.

As for ThaumCraft taint, I am willing to allow it; seeing as I have always seen that biome as semi-magical (and have registered it in the Biome Dictionary as such), a "war of good magic vs evil magic" is kind of interesting.
It works for me. After some consideration I've changed my mind about the biome, and I now have it on the default configs. In my custom pack I don't really have any mods that require lapis as a rare resource (no tconstruct, no ic2), and I've yet to find the biome in an ATG world. Even if I do find one, I'll build near it, but not in it. It's a bit too laggy to live in for me, but it's nice to have one a few chunks away.

And the tainted rainbow forest is awesome, IMO. One of the few "Oh sh*t!" moments I've had that didn't involve a creeper. Here I am just walking through what I THOUGHT was a safe area only to find myself surrounded by evil sheep and pummeled to death. Taint does spread VERY fast in them, though... probably because of all the tainted sheep running aound and tainting extra ground.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It works for me. After some consideration I've changed my mind about the biome, and I now have it on the default configs. In my custom pack I don't really have any mods that require lapis as a rare resource (no tconstruct, no ic2), and I've yet to find the biome in an ATG world. Even if I do find one, I'll build near it, but not in it. It's a bit too laggy to live in for me, but it's nice to have one a few chunks away.

And the tainted rainbow forest is awesome, IMO. One of the few "Oh sh*t!" moments I've had that didn't involve a creeper. Here I am just walking through what I THOUGHT was a safe area only to find myself surrounded by evil sheep and pummeled to death. Taint does spread VERY fast in them, though... probably because of all the tainted sheep running aound and tainting extra ground.

That option to generate ethereal blooms in the biome - added in v11(?) - may help safeguard the biome against this. I did it because they are pretty, but it goes nicely with this "war of the magic" idea.

Reactions: Esheon