Overated/Problematic/Misused Mods

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Botania
My opinion: it is too girly.
128.png

My reaction: See your avatar :p

Your reaction doesn't make sense if you have pony on the avatar.

Can you explain me sense of your offtopic post? Does this mean that I should not have an opinion about Botania or else? I think that Botania is overrated. So I'm waiting more than just stupid pony reaction picture.
:p

That is true but he may still think it is over rated and that is what this thread is about so borderline off topic, oh yeah and witchery.

There are major differences between overrated and "Girly", the former latter being more an insult in this day and age.
[Edit: Oops!]

Last edited:
Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Pssh, don't you know that real men only use Blood Magic and ICBM? OH MY GOD. Best idea ever. Blood Magic-infused ICBMs. They replace any blocks they destroy with cursed blood that withers anything that enters it. The rage of a million dead, innocent testificates slowly killing your enemies...I like it.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Pssh, don't you know that real men only use Blood Magic and ICBM? OH MY GOD. Best idea ever. Blood Magic-infused ICBMs. They replace any blocks they destroy with cursed blood that withers anything that enters it. The rage of a million dead, innocent testificates slowly killing your enemies...I like it.

Only ever really played SSP due to a rather unfortunate geographical location but I'd be willing to finish off my worlds with this. Or join a server and suffer terrible latency just to reek havoc on all an sundry! Muhahahaha

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Let's see, for overrated mods...Thermal Expansion (and to an extension, RF). A pinnacle of Magic-block mods, no design to work something needed, just place a block, give it power, done. The power system is lackluster too, not having any particular kinks to transferring it to make it interesting; Just place cables and you're done.

TE and RF are supposed to be simple. TE serves as a transition from non-modded MC into modded MC. I'd hate for GT to be people's only entry point into modded MC. For more complex power systems, one should not use RF, but should use mods like GT or Reika's.

TE and RF are perhaps over-used and abused, but they're not overrated. They might not be for you, but they do exactly what they're supposed to do.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeaaaaah...having people come in fresh from vanilla and be faced with learning something like RotaryCraft or GregTech would scare a LOT of people off. TE (and, by extension, RF) act as an excellent introduction into modded Minecraft concepts. Modded MC needs simple things like RF around: like any group, if we don't get new blood every once in a while, we'll eventually die off. More newbies is a good thing.

Reactions: MigukNamja

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
They are fun to play with, but a lot(not all) are very poorly coded,OP recipes and effects and lag
It only lags if you don't place enough of it. :p

On topic, Redstone Arsenal. It's a cool mod, it is, and the items look really cool. The color schemes are nice. However, most of it is just too strong for such a small investment. Even unenchanted, this stuff is powerful. Enchanted? wow. I made a power 5 Redstone arsenal bow, and now I just one shot everything that isn't an Enderman or a boss mob. The armor with just protection IV is letting me take next to nothing from anything. It's kind of annoying. Does the stuff need to be that powerful? Or at least that cheap?

And now for the "BuT DIaMonDs! DiAmOndS aRe ExpEnsIvE!" No, no they're not. I've been a little disappointed lately about how rarely mods use diamonds in recipes. Either it's a diamond here or there, or you're playing with Witchery or IC2/Gregtech which are just hogs for diamonds. Basic mining gear for me is a Tinkers' construct hammer, an Alumite pick, and my tool forge. Two hours later I've got half a stack of Diamond blocks with next to nothing to use them on, and that's with adding fortune to my pick as i'm mining and only having fortune II by the time I'm done. If diamonds are super rare, then you just aren't doing enough manual mining.

Reactions: Padfoote

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone arsenal WAS confusing at first but once I figured out the recipes I realized it wasn't very expensive at all once you make the machines which honestly aren't expensive enough in my mind(IK you can enable harder recipes but still) most of the cost comes from the initial investment and then it just costs diamonds Redstone gold silver and obsidian. And how about that project red honestly they seem like poorly done mods to me.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm gonna elaborate a bit about ProjectRed:
I see no point in the Exploration part other than mimicking Redpower. Ruby, Sapphire and Peridot are useless except for tools. The volcanoes, marble and dye trees don't really fit in this mod. I personally disabled the Exploration part.

The Transportation part is just an expensive and worse version of Logistics Pipes. I like that idea, but LP is just so much better. The upgrade system is kinda unintuitive.
You need quite a lot of dyes for this, which kinda justifies the trees from Exploration. But iirc Transportation is still in beta.

The rest (Transmission, Integration, Illumination) is fine imo. I can't stress how useful red alloy wire and compact gates are. Unlike the PRC from MFR they are not magical one-block solutions, you still have to think about how to set it up rather than just programming a block.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
So I'm gonna elaborate a bit about ProjectRed:
I see no point in the Exploration part other than mimicking Redpower. Ruby, Sapphire and Peridot are useless except for tools. The volcanoes, marble and dye trees don't really fit in this mod. I personally disabled the Exploration part.

The Transportation part is just an expensive and worse version of Logistics Pipes. I like that idea, but LP is just so much better. The upgrade system is kinda unintuitive.
You need quite a lot of dyes for this, which kinda justifies the trees from Exploration. But iirc Transportation is still in beta.

The rest (Transmission, Integration, Illumination) is fine imo. I can't stress how useful red alloy wire and compact gates are. Unlike the PRC from MFR they are not magical one-block solutions, you still have to think about how to set it up rather than just programming a block.
I'd have to agree on those points. I leave the shinies in world gen plus marble/volcanoes just for having a different building block material and for world gen variation. Disable all the tools too. Dye trees I hate with a passion and always disable.
Transportation left me confuddled, especially considering all the other transport options (note, I've never used, or seen a need for Logistic Pipes either, I feel LP trivalises some builds).

Red Alloy Wire and Gates I feel are a solid "requirement" for any big pack, so functional.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I'd have to agree on those points. I leave the shinies in world gen plus marble/volcanoes just for having a different building block material and for world gen variation. Disable all the tools too. Dye trees I hate with a passion and always disable.
Transportation left me confuddled, especially considering all the other transport options (note, I've never used, or seen a need for Logistic Pipes either, I feel LP trivalises some builds).

Red Alloy Wire and Gates I feel are a solid "requirement" for any big pack, so functional.
it feels like a mod that has tons of unfinished parts to it and doesn't have an overall theme

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
It is a RP clone afterall.
"clone"

It doesn't have frames, the tube system, the power system, any of the processing stuff(I loved the alloy furnace). It doesn't have any of those things and went with a terribad Logistics Pipes styled pipe system. At least it does most of the other things right.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
"clone"

It doesn't have frames, the tube system, the power system, any of the processing stuff(I loved the alloy furnace). It doesn't have any of those things and went with a terribad Logistics Pipes styled pipe system. At least it does most of the other things right.
and no FORTH ;-; i loved forth....