Overated/Problematic/Misused Mods

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I find Biomes o' Plenty to be massively overrated. I dislike a lot of the biomes in it (I know you can disable them, but the other biomes in it are not good enough for me to bother). I find other biome mods such as ExtraBiomesXL and Enhanced Biomes to be better.
The best thing that Biomes o Plenty has given me is their open source code - it is an amazing resource for world-gen. As for the legit biomes they add I have to agree - and they deviate from just adding simple worldgen to adding all sorts of random stuff.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I find Biomes o' Plenty to be massively overrated. I dislike a lot of the biomes in it (I know you can disable them, but the other biomes in it are not good enough for me to bother). I find other biome mods such as ExtraBiomesXL and Enhanced Biomes to be better.
The only problem I have with BoP is other mods adding biome-specific resources. It's really a pain to find things like tropical hives, MFR rubber trees, silverwood trees, magical forests and some other stuff with BoP enabled. And if you want to breed a bee or tree that requires a specific biome you're basically screwed.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The only problem I have with BoP is other mods adding biome-specific resources. It's really a pain to find things like tropical hives, MFR rubber trees, silverwood trees, magical forests and some other stuff with BoP enabled. And if you want to breed a bee or tree that requires a specific biome you're basically screwed.
I added the following biomes to MFRs config to allow more rubber trees, otherwise they are a pain to find with BoP

Maple Woods
Woodlands
Lush Swamp
Grove

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I'm not a fan of BoP either. While a lot (but definitely not all) of its biomes are pretty, almost all of them suck for actually building in.

I used to use Highlands in 1.6.4. Not sure if the 1.7 version is any good though as I haven't tried it yet.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a fan of BoP either. While a lot (but definitely not all) of its biomes are pretty, almost all of them suck for actually building in.

I used to use Highlands in 1.6.4. Not sure if the 1.7 version is any good though as I haven't tried it yet.
By far my least favorite thing is the stupid fog colors in half the biomes, Oh this biome looks cool, but you can't see worth s#$@ once you step in it and the sky is purple.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
By far my least favorite thing is the stupid fog colors in half the biomes, Oh this biome looks cool, but you can't see worth s#$@ once you step in it and the sky is purple.
Oh, you mean the one biome called Omnious Woods which has increased Enderman spawn chance, where that fog decision adds to the atmosphere.

Personally I find the current BoP the best biome mod (now they've stripped out some of the weirder ones from 1.6.4 thansk to the 1.7 biome update). There's only two biomes I hate with a passion. I just find there's a lot of attention to detail to BoP biomes, and really "natural" looking, more than all the other biome mods (which I have tried and not been overly impressed with).

Sure it makes it awkward at times to build in, but then, it's reflecting nature, and humans have always demolished nature to build it's ugly cities in. It's not often you get a nice flat open area that's near resources ready to build on.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, you mean the one biome called Omnious Woods which has increased Enderman spawn chance, where that fog decision adds to the atmosphere.

If I could add 1 modded biome to vanilla, it would be this one. The atmosphere and added gameplay value would be amazing for a super rare biome. Add in a new dungeon with a new mob type and a boss. Amazing addition that would make!

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
If I could add 1 modded biome to vanilla, it would be this one. The atmosphere and added gameplay value would be amazing for a super rare biome. Add in a new dungeon with a new mob type and a boss. Amazing addition that would make!
It's also the most FPS-laggy biome, at least in my case, and I can't find out why.
... for my adventuring, Roofed Forests are the top (from vanilla), with Dark Forest from TF being second, and Magical Forests from Thaumcraft being third.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I mostly loved magical forests because they were an EXCELLENT source of early wood, once you got a stone lumber axe made. So many large oaks, so little time...

Reactions: Eruantien

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I mostly loved magical forests because they were an EXCELLENT source of early wood, once you got a stone lumber axe made. So many large oaks, so little time...
And now, they generate moss stone, which can be put on a TiC tool for self-repair (up to lv. III).

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
It's also the most FPS-laggy biome, at least in my case, and I can't find out why.
... for my adventuring, Roofed Forests are the top (from vanilla), with Dark Forest from TF being second, and Magical Forests from Thaumcraft being third.
I think they may use a player tick event to put the fog in but I'm not sure...

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I found this mod on PMC and the code was done well but honest to God terrible textures, wanna know what I did about it? I remade the textures and sent them to the dev, yeah that's how important good textures are to me.

Reactions: ljfa

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I found this mod on PMC and the code was done well but honest to God terrible textures, wanna know what I did about it? I remade the textures and sent them to the dev, yeah that's how important good textures are to me.
I think few modders are actually good texture artists

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm shite at texture work, too. Unless its something very basic, you'd be better off hiring a random hobo off the street for your textures.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Textures mean a huge amount to me. I most certainly may decide against using a mod because of the textures that it comes with even if it has the absolute best functionality a mod could have. Unity and immersion in the game are massive imho which is why I supported "project retexture" that CyanideX was working on. I've had a few mods that I have used only after some serious retexturing by myself was done.
The biggest offender for this is honestly mods that ship with 64x default textures. Although I became a texture artist before I became a dev, and textures are still the first things that I do for a mod I work on :p

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Textures mean a huge amount to me. I most certainly may decide against using a mod because of the textures that it comes with even if it has the absolute best functionality a mod could have. Unity and immersion in the game are massive imho which is why I supported "project retexture" that CyanideX was working on. I've had a few mods that I have used only after some serious retexturing by myself was done.
The biggest offender for this is honestly mods that ship with 64x default textures. Although I became a texture artist before I became a dev, and textures are still the first things that I do for a mod I work on :p
As someone that uses 64x textures, I can't see the problem :p

Can't stand 16x textures, especially on a large high res screen.