Overated/Problematic/Misused Mods

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
All I'm saying is that minetweaker can and has been overused, and glorified, by pack devs to change understandable and coherent recipes to recipes that don't make sense, in the name of balance.
Overuse shows signs of something successful; it does not show signs of something that is by its nature terrible. Take TE for instance. I hate it because of its simplicity, but I cannot deny that it is a good mod due to its overuse

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
*Warning! Rant Alert!*

Why cant we just make a thread where we talk about what we like in mods. XD Seriously, I dont get why we need to spend time ripping on mods in this way. Discussing possible changes or tweaks would at least be productive, but an all out complaining thread seems weird. Knowing how much work goes into these mods I think we should all be greatful for them. With that in mind, if you dont like something in a popular mod, make a tweak mod that people have the OPTION to use. That's what annoys me about people calling for nerfs in main mod code. You may want that, but a lot may not. Iggys Tweaks are a good example. If you dont like the way tico works, add his mod. That's way better than forcing everyone to use your ideas in every pack. Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. :rolleyes:

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
*Warning! Rant Alert!*

Why cant we just make a thread where we talk about what we like in mods. XD Seriously, I dont get why we need to spend time ripping on mods in this way. Discussing possible changes or tweaks would at least be productive, but an all out complaining thread seems weird. Knowing how much work goes into these mods I think we should all be greatful for them. With that in mind, if you dont like something in a popular mod, make a tweak mod that people have the OPTION to use. That's what annoys me about people calling for nerfs in main mod code. You may want that, but a lot may not. Iggys Tweaks are a good example. If you dont like the way tico works, add his mod. That's way better than forcing everyone to use your ideas in every pack. Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. :rolleyes:
Yes, a thread where we post what we love about mods xD Reminds me of the "I discovered this today" thread.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
*Warning! Rant Alert!*

I made this thread because people were arguing on threads FOR liking mods specifically one for underrated mods. So i made this one as a counter part, if people wanna use this thread is it, if people wanna use that thread, use that. But I don't want this for thrashing at mods, it actually helps me as a soon mod pack developer eliminate or modify mods for people enjoyment..

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
I made this thread because people were arguing on threads FOR liking mods specifically one for underrated mods. So i made this one as a counter part, if people wanna use this thread is it, if people wanna use that thread, use that. But I don't want this for thrashing at mods, it actually helps me as a soon mod pack developer eliminate or modify mods for people enjoyment..
I was not blaming you, just thinking it was a funny thread. I think if people responded more constructively it would be beneficial in fact.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Now back to gossip. Flans guns, people just throw it in packs because its fun. Honestly it is way too cheap and OP. It actually works surprisingly well with Orespawn though. Hooray, for constructiveness

Reactions: Golrith

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Now back to gossip. Flans guns, people just throw it in packs because its fun. Honestly it is way too cheap and OP. It actually works surprisingly well with Orespawn though. Hooray, for constructiveness
How is it OP or Cheap? You need enough infrastructure for a large amount of Iron, gunpowder, automated clay, etc. And none of the guns do insane amounts of damage to properly created boss mobs. Regular mobs are always easy to kill with anything mid-game. Also in most packs were it is put in for funzies, balance and the damage amount prolly are not big concerns. Take Modsauce or AOTB for example. Also as the creator of the Fly?Boys pack and Server, the ammo is not cheap till you have a good irongolem/creeper farm up, and clay gates you until you have good mekasim set up.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
How is it OP or Cheap? You need enough infrastructure for a large amount of Iron, gunpowder, automated clay, etc. And none of the guns do insane amounts of damage to properly created boss mobs. Regular mobs are always easy to kill with anything mid-game. Also in most packs were it is put in for funzies, balance and the damage amount prolly are not big concerns. Take Modsauce or AOTB for example. Also as the creator of the Fly?Boys pack and Server, the ammo is not cheap till you have a good irongolem/creeper farm up, and clay gates you until you have good mekasim set up.
I understand its better than it used to be but I am pointing out that people put it into mods with easy automation and nothing making survival harder. That is the misused part which makes it cheap and OP. <3

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
I understand its better than it used to be but I am pointing out that people put it into mods with easy automation and nothing making survival harder. That is the misused part which makes it cheap and OP. <3
I think the whole mod is not really meant to be in hard packs. It's not meant to be in a BnB scenario. It's for fun in packs, and also for things like FlyBoys.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Overuse shows signs of something successful; it does not show signs of something that is by its nature terrible. Take TE for instance. I hate it because of its simplicity, but I cannot deny that it is a good mod due to its overuse
I'm thinking of just dropping this now, since it's getting to the point where I could reply to people by quoting things I've already stated, and they either haven't read or haven't understood...

Re-read my posts on the subject. I never said minetweaker wasn't successful, I never said it was terrible and I never denied that it was a good mod.

I said it has been glorified, and can/has been misused at some points. The fact that people seem to be spiriting to it's defence without understanding my argument properly is partially evidence of the glorification. The current modding community, generally, seems to think minetweaker is the saviour of all, and it can do no wrong.
Now, maybe minetweaker itself is perfect, and it sure as hell did add some variety to the modded pack scene. but the people using it can most certainly do wrong. Brilliant and useful tools are not immune to being misused.

And before celestialpheonix takes that and says, once again, that "oh noes, you just hate inexperienced pack makers", just because someone is learning doesn't mean their mistakes aren't mistakes, as long as they learn, mistakes are fine. It's actually often the intent behind the use of the mod that leads to it's misuse.

And in my opinion, that error is usually the use of minetweaker to balance gameplay, or combine mods that aren't functionally similar in an effort to balance gameplay, without basing it around any kind of theme whatsoever. When this happens, the mods and the pack have no foundation to stand on. In a regular non-tweaked pack, all of the mods have their own foundations to support them and their recipes, when you start chipping away at those foundations to bring the mods together, you need something to take their place, a pack theme or a central mod can, and often does in good packs, fill this void.

[somewhat-sarcasm]
With overuse often comes misuse, and what do you know, that's the title of this thread!
[/somewhat-sarcasm]

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of just dropping this now, since it's getting to the point where I could reply to people by quoting things I've already stated, and they either haven't read or haven't understood...

Re-read my posts on the subject. I never said minetweaker wasn't successful, I never said it was terrible and I never denied that it was a good mod.

I said it has been glorified, and can/has been misused at some points. The fact that people seem to be spiriting to it's defence without understanding my argument properly is partially evidence of the glorification. The current modding community, generally, seems to think minetweaker is the saviour of all, and it can do no wrong.
Now, maybe minetweaker itself is perfect, and it sure as hell did add some variety to the modded pack scene. but the people using it can most certainly do wrong. Brilliant and useful tools are not immune to being misused.

And before celestialpheonix takes that and says, once again, that "oh noes, you just hate inexperienced pack makers", just because someone is learning doesn't mean their mistakes aren't mistakes, as long as they learn, mistakes are fine. It's actually often the intent behind the use of the mod that leads to it's misuse.

And in my opinion, that error is usually the use of minetweaker to balance gameplay, or combine mods that aren't functionally similar in an effort to balance gameplay, without basing it around any kind of theme whatsoever. When this happens, the mods and the pack have no foundation to stand on. In a regular non-tweaked pack, all of the mods have their own foundations to support them and their recipes, when you start chipping away at those foundations to bring the mods together, you need something to take their place, a pack theme or a central mod can, and often does in good packs, fill this void.

[somewhat-sarcasm]
With overuse often comes misuse, and what do you know, that's the title of this thread!
[/somewhat-sarcasm]
Sorry, from the time of your posts I saw it more as hating the mod. I believe that it is misused, but I also believe that good packmakers can use it to balance gameplay without a theme (I've seen it done numerous times). However, it is a tool, and in the wrong hands it is a terrible one. This reminds me of PhoenixConfigs...the sole purpose of it to have scripts that balance or add theme to a pack. This allows good script makers to balance it in a good way and the inexperienced ones to use those in their packs

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
TY2eJi9.gif