Overated/Problematic/Misused Mods

Discussion in 'Mod Discussion' started by jdog1408, Nov 23, 2014.

1. PhoenixSmith

PhoenixSmith New Member

I think the RF is the only thing that keeps it end game though... If not I would attempt to switch over to an atomic dissembler or RF tool as soon as possible. I agree though, it does not exactly fit., but a lot of cross mod compatibility things don't really.

2. VapourDrive

VapourDrive New Member

TiC did amazing things with tools and weapons. Does everyone agree with said things? No. I personally find the fact that you can make a tool out of literally anything overboard. Having one such aspect of the game given such a huge boost makes the other aspects of the game deal hollow.
    A lot of the vanilla tool progression mechanics truly encourage a variety of gameplay elements, farming for leather for books for the bookshelves, doing *things* yourself to get xp for enchanting, exploring dungeons for books, etc. The xp mechanic is cool, the repair mechanic is cool and the anvil is a powerful tool for modders. The enchanting system needs work *cough* mod I'm working on *cough*
    What does bother me is when the instant you start talk of a tool/weapon overhaul mod you get told to make it a tinkers construct add-on. No it doesn't have a monopoly on tools, no it doesn't own the rights to real world smelting mechanics :p

Padfoote likes this.
  3. PhoenixSmith

PhoenixSmith New Member

I think the reason for the tools mod response is that a lot have tried and almost none have succeeded.

4. Celestialphoenix

Celestialphoenix Too Much Free Time

Tinkers could be expanded to include those additional vanilla mechanics; if adding modifiers required exp and the tool forge contained a similar bookshelf system we'll be on to something far more interesting.

I'll have to agree with there being some rather weird (to say the least) tool materials

Padfoote likes this.
  5. PhoenixSmith

PhoenixSmith New Member

No randomization for enchants though... *shudder*

6. VapourDrive

VapourDrive New Member

Changing the adding modifier mechanic to be done in the anvil would have been quite easy to implement with the anvil event. Before the event the anvil was a vanilla locked piece of trash :p.
    They aren't in themselves bad, but it needs to be augmented, something like being able to rip enchantments you don't like off and transfer them onto other tools, gem sockettig if you will. Check my player.me page ;)

7. PhoenixSmith

PhoenixSmith New Member

If you can guide the randomization though with extra work, it seems like it's just tedious for end game tools.

8. VapourDrive

VapourDrive New Member

And throwing 500 redstone dust on something isn't tedious? :p Oh wait, getting redstone can be completely automated in which case you don't actually have to do anything yourself at all. Needing to play aspects of a game in order to achieve something shouldn't be a foreign concept, silk touch on your favourite pick deserves a little bit of work >.>
    Edit - I realize that silk touch isn't the modifier from redstone, the examples weren't meant to be tied together :p

Padfoote likes this.
  9. PhoenixSmith

PhoenixSmith New Member

Actually I just use a tinker table and redstone blocks. Less than 10 seconds for max speed. :p SIlk touch should be easily obtainable end game imo. EnderIO does a good job of this.

10. VapourDrive

VapourDrive New Member

Well yeah but you need to get the redstone somehow. Actually putting it on is very trivial, I realize that. Also "easy" is a relative term. I would prefer being able to do it reliably but the method should still involve a significant amount of work, certainly more than surrounding one emerald with golden string.

Padfoote likes this.
  11. L0NExW0LF

L0NExW0LF New Member

This reminds me of the augment system from the Fable series.

12. VapourDrive

VapourDrive New Member

Its definitely not an original mechanic, similar things are done in Kingdoms of Amalur and others as well, I just want something that both encourages gameplay and "adventuring" as well as makes the enchanting mechanic slightly less tedious and frustrating to use.

13. ljfa

ljfa New Member

EnderIO's Enchanter makes getting enchanted books a bit too easy IMO

14. PierceSG

PierceSG New Member

Still more work compared to Enchanting Plus. :p

15. Golrith

Golrith Over-Achiever Trusted User

For TiC, I've limited the tool station to being craftable from steel. The ball of moss has had it's recipe changed so something more expensive & "awkward". I've changed vanilla wood and stone tools to flint and crude bronze, and the TiC Smeltry block recipe changed requiring a component you need to craft from materials that can only be mined with Crude Bronze.
    So getting starting with TiC now needs around 8-16 ingots of tin+copper in addition to all the clay/sand/gravel/furance fuel. In my modpack, that's a lot of ore to gather and to survive obtaining early game.

A lot of time people say things are easy (in a lot of mods), but, really they are easy because ore gen is so common, it's too easy to find resources, so you can steamroll your progress quickly. *Shameless self advertising* that's something which I think I've addressed quite nicely with my Omega Dawn pack, ores are still "common" but they are mostly poor ores, so you have more mining to do, and more smelting (which means more energy requirements).

16. KaosRitual

KaosRitual New Member

You can transfer enchants from one item onto another with the Uncrafting Table from Twilight Forest, although that only really tends to be useful if you enchant something like gold/thaumium then stick it on something that is a bit more durable.

RavynousHunter likes this.
  17. RavynousHunter

RavynousHunter New Member

Okay, that's one of the most clever ideas I've heard in quite a while.

18. VapourDrive

VapourDrive New Member

That's part of the idea, enchanting a gold tool at 10 levels gets you at the highest enchantment range, and then the cost of ripping an enchantment onto the corresponding gem won't be too high.

19. Celestialphoenix

Celestialphoenix Too Much Free Time

I was kinda hoping for the bookshelf mechanic as well.
    (though not quite a strict; something like a 21x21x19 block with every other shelf providing an additional exp level)

Padfoote likes this.