Overated/Problematic/Misused Mods

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone knows mods that are popular but either incomplete, incompatible or not very good. What are they to you? This is not a thread to trash mods just share your opinion and have fun.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Blood Magic: Goes from super cheap and low power to way to expensive and OP way to fast.
Hope you are prepared to defend your position as to why BM stuff is OP. (Yes I am asking.)
I personally find Galacticraft overrated. Everybody be like "OMG SPACE TRAVEL." But once you get to the planets, there's not much to do. You're on a barren planet with a few dungeons that get old fast. Awesome.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Blood Magic: Goes from super cheap and low power to way to expensive and OP way to fast.
Defense, please? Expensive things are generally very powerful in any mod you play. In Blood Magic, the cost scales with the power very nicely. I fail to find it more "OP" than any popular mod these days.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Hope you are prepared to defend your position as to why BM stuff is OP. (Yes I am asking.)
I personally find Galacticraft overrated. Everybody be like "OMG SPACE TRAVEL." But once you get to the planets, there's not much to do. You're on a barren planet with a few dungeons that get old fast. Awesome.
Yes Galacticraft adds an expensive way to get different colored cobble sand and dirt, and playing BM I started you know had a cool few things like the green slate for bonemeal. And then I started looking at higher tier items and to make the altar powerful enough I needed 4 beacons activated. And the items i was getting were either almost useless or super expensive and end game, I like the items but it goes from beginning game to end game a bit too quickly. It is a fun mod but I do see that jump as a problem.

Reactions: Blorph

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Orespawn. Did I really have to say that?
My friend tried making a pack with OreSpawn, and Infernal Mobs(I don't like it at all). this was awful everything was being blown up and potions going everywhere along with IM half the twilight bosses I faced were infernal. I don't like mods that make MC impossible.

OnmyojiOmn

Jul 29, 2019
There's a whole forum for being shitty about mods you don't like and playstyles that are different from yours. It's called minecraftforum.net.

Minimaps, WALIA, Damage indicators, ArmourStatusHUD.

Every [literally every] pack has them installed.
Junks up the HUD like no tomorrow.
Its really nothing more than metagaming and "legitimised" cheating.
Takes away a lot of the game experience of working things out and actually learning.​
I use the minimap and world map to orient myself every bit as much as the main view, which I find obtuse and restricted even with a good fov.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
There's a whole forum for being shitty about mods you don't like and playstyles that are different from yours.
But that is a different community. If you don't like this forum don't use it. And it is ok to say you like a mod on here just don't flame or argue, you know traditional forum rules.

Reactions: RedBoss

Arouka

Jul 29, 2019
Computercraft: Far too cheap (Both recipe and fuel wise) for the amount of functionality they have. Opencomputers has far more balanced recipes and can do practically everything computercraft can do and loads more.

Tinker's Construct: I adore the modularity of this mod (after all, modularity is the key to experimentation), but in the end it feels very futile. Regardless of what you create, there will always be a combination of piecees that is the 'best' tool you can make (for reference, look at the difference between Dire's tinker tools in his past 3-4 seasons; there isn't much).Additionally, It negates many tools from other mods, being the best bang for your buck to make relatively early game, not really being bested until you get rather late game.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

Actually the space station is a handy (and probably easier) way to get a 'void' type age for building a big base.

I also like the idea a lot but I agree that the activity on the other planets could be enhanced a bit.

Nevertheless I do like Galacticraft a lot.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Thaumcraf, don't get me wrong, i love this mod. But it's only great as standalone, since as soon as you put it on a mod pack, it quickly get overshadowed by all the other cheaper and easier to set tech mods.

Depends on what you do with it. There are several things in Thaumcraft that are not easily replicated in any other mod as far as I know. For example. I don't know if there is anything else besides Thaumcraft that has a wand of warding so that you can protect any block against explosions. This is practically essential for automated wither farms.

Also I believe there is an equivalent for the wand of equal trade but this is also not a very common thing.

I think Thaumcraft really has a lot to offer. The Arcane Lamp is yet another example of an easy way to light up a big area.

Reactions: Yulife

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
All mods are overrated. Did you know that without mods, 100% of cross-mod exploits wouldn't exist? Mods are destroying modded Minecraft!

For serious though Thaumcraft is getting there. It's a victim of complexity creep where each addition makes things not more difficult to do, but more obnoxious. Warp is a prime example of this, which is way more annoying than it is scary. Oh no, I have to eat a lot! Oh no, I have to hide underground! How awful! Except all the good ores are underground and even TC makes auto-farming easy.