Overated/Problematic/Misused Mods

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
and no FORTH ;-; i loved forth....
Yeah, I did forget forth, but is it really needed? If you want something to program, then there's Computercraft, Steve's Factory Manager, MFR's Rednet, and Pneumatic Craft Drones. Computercraft should be able to do all the things Forth could, and now in the form of a tablet.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I did forget forth, but is it really needed? If you want something to program, then there's Computercraft, Steve's Factory Manager, MFR's Rednet, and Pneumatic Craft Drones. Computercraft should be able to do all the things Forth could, and now in the form of a tablet.
Some of those have also been complained about on this thread.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
One of my current biggest qualms is blupower - we already have project red which is open-source.... why do we need another? "It does more things" this is not valid when you can just pr into project red and add it in there.

Reactions: Padfoote

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
One of my current biggest qualms is blupower - we already have project red which is open-source.... why do we need another? "It does more things" this is not valid when you can just pr into project red and add it in there.
we have fallen into a group of mods which are probably all just copying each other

Arouka

Jul 29, 2019

Except for Bluepower actually adds back in most of the things that made Redpower so darn awesome, like all of those "parts to the machine" styled blocks (relays, buffers, block breakers), Pneumatic pipes, and the like. Project Red adds some of the things that made Redpower awesome, completely ignore some of the really awesome things, and then adds some things completely out of left field (No seriously, who came up with dye trees?)

Besides, what's wrong with having more options?

Reactions: immibis

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I use Project Red without the Exploration or Transportation modules installed, so for me it does one thing (redstone logic) and does it really well. It's still ahead of Bluepower in that particular area. I have no doubt that Bluepower will eventually catch up, but for now Project Red is the more mature and stable of the two. When that changes, I'll probably make the switch.

As for overrated mods, I'd have to pick EnderStorage. There are so many other ways to transport items and fluids over long distances, but most people seem to take the easy way out and just use a couple of Ender Chests instead of building something fun and interesting. I dislike TE's tesseracts for the same reason (though I really love the rest of TE).

I'm also not a fan of lava power in general, especially since it's so trivial to set up.

Reactions: ljfa

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I think the CoFH ducts mod is overrated even though it's not released yet. It will be overshadowed by EnderIO and I doubt that anyone who uses it now will switch to CoFH's ducts. Sorry guys, Crazypants was just faster.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I think the CoFH ducts mod is overrated even though it's not released yet. It will be overshadowed by EnderIO and I doubt that anyone who uses it now will switch to CoFH's ducts. Sorry guys, Crazypants was just faster.
Yeah, the only benefit might be that the lower-tier ducts will be cheaper in the early game before you have a stable source of Ender Pearls for Item Conduits.

Reactions: PierceSG

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I like mods that match vanilla style textures.
I find it hard to believe how many mods deviate from the progression style of vanilla Minecraft.
There are so many good natural "gates" in the game. You can make something dependent on getting to the nether or the end, villages may need to be found before you can get certain things. Other things hide behind biome specific world gen. Even just having harvest levels acts as a gate, albeit one that is easy to pass. IMHO progression trees should encourage deeper game immersion instead of recipe grind. AE2 did a very good job of this.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I find it hard to believe how many mods deviate from the progression style of vanilla Minecraft.
There are so many good natural "gates" in the game. You can make something dependent on getting to the nether or the end, villages may need to be found before you can get certain things. Other things hide behind biome specific world gen. Even just having harvest levels acts as a gate, albeit one that is easy to pass. IMHO progression trees should encourage deeper game immersion instead of recipe grind. AE2 did a very good job of this.
not sure what that had to do with textures but that is a good point because in TE you go mining and then you probably have al the materials you need for all the machines

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
TE is literally one hour of mining before you have all the machines.
I don't like adding it to packs but you kinda need it for some other things, I'll probably disable or make the machines harder to get, like a lot harder. On the other hand TiCon has an amazing progression system especially if its on its own with Iguana or with metallurgy. But this is for complaining so I'll just say that mod that adds dangerous gasses while mining.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
This mod has literally no interaction with other mods and the gases seem kinda useless to me. You can fill them into lanterns but they'll eventually burn out. And coal dust is just annoying.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Bluepower would be nice... except that I can't seem to find instructions on how to use it transport system. And actually, I like its setup better than P:R.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Bluepower would be nice... except that I can't seem to find instructions on how to use it transport system. And actually, I like its setup better than P:R.
Look for Redpower documentation. It is basically the same.