Overated/Problematic/Misused Mods

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
they can but I would rather have free progression than forced linear and a "crappy" storyline
Okay, several things:

• Maybe the pack creator doesn't want a storyline, but wants to limit your progression
  • HQM isn't just for quests, which is what everyone seems to forget. There are tons of other aspects that can be used from the mod without ever touching the book
  • In most packs, you're free to just leave the book alone, and not pay any attention to it.
  • Lastly, in all the scenarios you mentioned, the mod itself is not overrated/problematic. It is the pack creator who is being problematic. Not the mod.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Its a matter of internal design- if a pack creator knows what s/he is doing, then its a brilliant addition that really makes the pack shine.
When its added "because popular" then it doesn't work.

Personally I see it as a brilliant way of adding an in-game tutorial and guidebook.
this is for complaining about mods

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Guys don't ruin a thread that was doing fine, many problems are not the developers faults but in fact just mis usage of them. We are discussing it here

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
no because if a mod is mid used then it is a problem.
No, the people mis-using it are the problem. Not the mod. Hence why that does not belong in the thread where we complain about mods. It belongs in a thread where we complain about people.
Guys don't ruin a thread that was doing fine, many problems are not the developers faults but in fact just mis usage of them. We are discussing it here
Alright, time for an unpopular opinion to get the thread on track.

Minefactory Reloaded is overrated and problematic. Problematic is easier to argue. Y'all know that annoying Ore Dictionary tag that appears? You know, "greggy_greg_do_please_kindly_stuff_a_sock_in_it"? That's added by MFR, and is rather problematic for anybody who happens to need to use Leather Boots. And, despite the countless requests to have it removed, the mod authors have refused to remove it.

And how is it overrated? Well, it removes the challenge from farming and several other tasks such as breeding, enchanting, and mining. It's overshadowed countless other mods that still needed you to have some challenge when farming, such as Forestry, or mining mods such as BuildCraft. It's mechanics have dominated most modpacks for quite some time, leaving it incredibly popular. However, as I've stated, it's lack of challenge and it's ability to be used consistently without being touched after it's initial setup leave something to be desired. That's why I prefer Forestry and why I think that MFR is both overrated and problematic.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
...(Stuff about MFR)...
1) Thanks for your contribution to the thread and I was about to say the same thing.
2) I like Vanilla style farming.
3) I kinda want it in my pack sorta don't, the biggest yes is Safari nets which can easily be replaced, and the biggest no is incompatibility which means I probably won't use the mod for ShamCraft. If it did go into my pack it would be a totally redone version of it with tinkered recipes and values.
4) I have had power compatibility issues (RF - eu - m/j) which kind is/isn't their fault but I found they don't follow the standard conversion rate and either end up taking almost no power or just eating through it.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mention MFR can murder your FPS despite it being well known for being well optimised.
{an equivalent area of forestry farm runs a lot smoother from my experiences}
The only time I've had that happen was when the farms got backed up with sludge because I forgot to give 'em a void pipe to get rid of the garbage. Otherwise, I'd say that I've had more problems out of something along the lines of IC2.5 than MFR.

Which kinda brings me to a gripe I've had for a while: modern IC2. In the old days, before the "experimental" phase, IC2 was annoying as hell, but it was an annoyance that made sense: so long as no single generator produced more than your wires could carry or your machines could handle, you were okay. This let you build your power supply up with fewer issues, and allowed you to plan ahead more easily. With the new energy net (what I've played of it, I'll admit that its been a bit), it seems almost impossible to go the normal route of "establish good power supply first, then create consumers." If you add two geothermals on the same line, they'll blow most machines to scrap metal.

There's also the new crafting annoyance of plates and "item casings" that were ripped straight out of the pages of Railcraft and a certain unsavoury mod that's got a known ability to start flame wars by the mere utterance of its name, that added nothing to the mod except another power sink, and more damned intermediate crafting steps. Instead of "make copper wire, mix with iron and redstone, get circuit" you now have to make iron and copper plates, cut the copper plates into wires, add rubber to them to insulate them, THEN mingle them with the iron plate and redstone to get the same circuit. Was this to add challenge? Maybe, but why? IC2's crafting mechanics worked just fine before, why screw with them? Its as if they never heard the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The energy net was the biggest problem, it was the thing that needed the overhaul the most because it was a laggy bastard if you didn't do everything just so. None of this is helped by the fact that, to my knowledge, IC2's incredibly long "experimental" phase has added nothing of any real use. The machines look different, and there's one or two for getting a little more out of your ores, but its still mostly the same old thing we've been thru a thousand times.

So, what we ended up with is a mod that's a dinosaur, just with a new coat of paint and some sunglasses. A similar problem exists with BuildCraft, except the fact that a lot of its machines are still properly useful for many things, and as of 1.7, one of its biggest pieces of functionality has been returned to it after a very long hiatus. All in all, the new IC2 is too little gain for too much nonsense. There's little about it that's refreshing, little about it that is actually new, and that more than anything, is what makes it both overrated and problematic.

Reactions: immibis and Arouka

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
2) I like Vanilla style farming.
Well MFR's purpose is to automate repetitive stuff like this. Vanilla style farming is fine early game, you won't starve unless you have hunger overhaul or similar. But once you need serveral stacks of leather for CVTs you can't really do it all by hand.
the biggest yes is Safari nets which can easily be replaced
By what? Golden lasso is not a full replacement. More problematic IMO is the auto spawner.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Well MFR's purpose is to automate repetitive stuff like this. Vanilla style farming is fine early game, you won't starve unless you have hunger overhaul or similar. But once you need serveral stacks of leather for CVTs you can't really do it all by hand.

By what? Golden lasso is not a full replacement. More problematic IMO is the auto spawner.
1) You'd be surprised the cow farm I can run
2) Not only that but force jars too

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Actually the new power grid is somewhat easier to work out, just add the outputs from your generators together. [So your total can't go over what your wires can carry].
2 generators makes 40Eu/t, measures at 40Eu/t, and behaves exactly as 40Eu/t does.
Old style 2 generators made 2x20Eu/t, measured at 40Eu/t, and behaved as 20Eu/t with double the powerloss.​
The main problems with the powergrid was the amount of bugs present and the time taken to implement.
I will agree with all the crafting sub-components though.
With MFR- a lot of other mods can automate vanilla stuff, but with ingenuity and design that encourages creativity and adds to the overall game.

Reactions: Padfoote

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
With MFR, I find the best option is to customise the recipes and/or use it's alternative recipes, plus to also increase power usage. Requires for investment/infrastructure which counters slightly the ease of the builds.
I do wish though that there was a config option where sludge producing machines actually stop working when full of sludge. Even if you don't use the sludge and void it, putting a void system in place is extra resource and design consideration.