Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
So I had a question, any idea when people are going to stop freaking out and panicking? It gets old really fast :p

When we get a statement from Microsoft saying they are going to allow and encourage PC modding. I'd be very surprised if this doesn't greatly impact Minecraft modding.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Why does everyone always assume the worst immediately? Why not be optimistic for once? How about we not worry about it until they release a statement saying that they will NOT allow modding?

Reactions: Wagon153

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, no. I thought about that and it doesn't matter and I assumed it didn't need to be explained. What those same people work on will be decided by Microsoft now. Do you honestly think Microsoft will let them focus time and money on the mod API, or even keep mods in mind while coding patches/DLC? Do you think they'll be as close to the fanbase as they are now? They'll be focusing on mobile devices and bringing vanilla to other platforms, mainly mobile, as the microsoft statement says. There will be a giant PR wall between them and the fans. Do you really think Microsoft will just throw money at the current team and let them do whatever they deem fit? No. They now have a giant greedy corporation telling them what they can or can't do.

Also, there's nothing stopping Microsoft from sueing and/or sending cease and desist letters to any modders out there. They've done it in the past, and if they feel the moding community is taking too much away from their mobile/console target, they'll stop it. If you read the official microsoft statement, it's pretty obvious they are looking at bringing paid DLC to mobile devices. Why pay for DLC on a mobile device when you can get way more content on PC for free?

To your first paragraph: Just about any company that has enough money to run Mojang is going to do this. The fables "mod API" was probably a carrot the whole time to keep us (the modding community) happy. And the fact that you thought about the other employees and just dismissed it is more troubling than if they just never came across your mind. It mostly goes to give more credit to the argument that we (gamers) are among the most self entitled pains in the asses on the planet. This course of actions is 'probably' in the best interest for a majority of Mojang.

To your second. That probably won't happen for a few reasons. For one, modding and distributing those mods are not illegal as long as they contain no original Minecraft code. Two, most modders don't have enough money to make it worth risking frivolous suits against. Three, a LOT of modders are not within the legal reach of Microsoft. Copyright laws are largely national, international enforcement is on a country by country basis. It can be very difficult if not impossible and would be even MORE costly. Microsoft isn't actually stupid and I find it extremely unlikely that Microsoft is going to spend lots of money to slap down a handful of people who aren't actually violating the law. There may be a notable exception in the case of streamers, and youtube'ers.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
My immediate reaction upon visiting minecraftforum.net

1375097_f260.jpg

Reactions: Flipz

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
To your first paragraph: Just about any company that has enough money to run Mojang is going to do this. The fables "mod API" was probably a carrot the whole time to keep us (the modding community) happy. And the fact that you thought about the other employees and just dismissed it is more troubling than if they just never came across your mind. It mostly goes to give more credit to the argument that we (gamers) are among the most self entitled pains in the asses on the planet. This course of actions is 'probably' in the best interest for a majority of Mojang.

To your second. That probably won't happen for a few reasons. For one, modding and distributing those mods are not illegal as long as they contain no original Minecraft code. Two, most modders don't have enough money to make it worth risking frivolous suits against. Three, a LOT of modders are not within the legal reach of Microsoft. Copyright laws are largely national, international enforcement is on a country by country basis. It can be very difficult if not impossible and would be even MORE costly. Microsoft isn't actually stupid and I find it extremely unlikely that Microsoft is going to spend lots of money to slap down a handful of people who aren't actually violating the law. There may be a notable exception in the case of streamers, and youtube'ers.
Yeah, I'm more worried about the youtubers/streamers to be honest. I can think of a few who put food on their table with MC videos/streams.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I am honestly not that worried about the youtubers/streamers as I am fairly confident that Microsoft would not alienate that large part of the community ;)

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
You know what. Screw it, Cpw can be replaced and as long as Greg is up for modding and the Ic2 Team keeps it's general member base I'm cool. Also I also would need PFFA and the UE devs to stay.

I will remain optimistic,

Also if Microsoft changes there recording policies as
Yeah, I'm more worried about the youtubers/streamers to be honest. I can think of a few who put food on their table with MC videos/streams.
I will not hesitate to try to start a boycot MC movement.

Aussiexenu

Jul 29, 2019
When we get a statement from Microsoft saying they are going to allow and encourage PC modding.
I think you vastly under-estimate the infantile nature of the MC user-base, irrespective of what forums you look for them on.

And when the sky doesn't fall, be sure to keep an eye out for those who slink back quietly and hope, much like your average politician, we have very short memories and don't recall them throwing fuel onto the drama at the time. The comedic gold this thread has mined will come back and deliver again, you can be sure of that.

Whatever does come of this, I remain strangely confident that the world will continue to spin, orbit the sun, and generally be populated by mostly-crazy people. And that I will continue to find entertainment in MC, among other games, even if it remains stuck in a 1.8 limbo.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
(Disclaimer: I am not saying this is true or representing the minecraft playerbase,on top of that this should not be taken seriously and is a joke :))

I don't think microsoft wants a army of 8-12 year olds being extremely pissed off :p

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Or we could be like KingLemming and keep cool. Just a thought.

"I'm not optimistic about the future of modded MC necessarily, but hey, who knows. I'm not jumping ship and I'm not announcing anything crazy."

He doesn't see it going well, and he has also "quit" modding multiple times in the past due to burn out/being too busy. Modding Minecraft is annoying due to constantly having to port to newer versions, and he's probably at that point where he doesn't feel strongly one way or the other. I think deep down, many Minecraft modders just want a way out from the never ending cycle. They can't retire or the community jumps at them.

"Just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there. For the most part, people aren't overreacting to anything."

You linked me something where he states people aren't overreacting, but you are suggesting me to keep cool. I'm not exactly flying off the walls here, i'm worried for the game... as should you be. I am not overreacting, there's a good chance this will greatly limit or even completely kill off modded Minecraft as we know it. Maybe we'll see Minecraft 2 with much better optimization/graphics, alongside paid DLC/Expansions, but I think that's about the best we can hope for from this deal.

Why does everyone always assume the worst immediately? Why not be optimistic for once? How about we not worry about it until they release a statement saying that they will NOT allow modding?

Expect the bad, be happy when it doesn't happen. Expect the good, be mad when it doesn't happen.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
(Disclaimer: I am not saying this is true or representing the minecraft playerbase,on top of that this should not be taken seriously and is a joke :))

I don't think microsoft wants a army of 8-12 year olds being extremely pissed off :p
The MS headquarters will be covered in spitballs, paper airplanes, and snot.

Reactions: xbony2 and Bigpak

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
The only person no longer working is Notch all other 40 devs are staying, jeb_, dinner one, toast, etc the development should stay consistent but I'm imagining something worse than EULA for servers

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019

They made more working on Minecraft than most of us make at our jobs, unless they are all vastly underpaid. They have a nice resume and wouldn't have much trouble getting into another company. Yes it sucks for them, but i'm not going to worry about them. They are fine.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
They made more working on Minecraft than most of us will make this decade. They have a nice resume and wouldn't have much trouble getting into another company. Yes it sucks for them, but i'm not going to worry about them. They are fine.

THAT. There, you said it. You're not worried about them. "Yeah it sucks for them, but..." Translates to "I don't care what happens to people's livelyhood, I want my game." That would be called entitlement.

Edit: Especially since you still have your game. Just not more updates to that game.

ThinkSlow

Jul 29, 2019
You know what. Screw it, Cpw can be replaced and as long as Greg is up for modding and the Ic2 Team keeps it's general member base I'm cool. Also I also would need PFFA and the UE devs to stay.

I will remain optimistic,

Also if Microsoft changes there recording policies as
I will not hesitate to try to start a boycot MC movement.

cpw says he's staying on twitter, so expect to see modding in other games.

In relation to modding other games, TUG and minetest have been talked about, along with Factorio.