Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
This is exactly what NOT to do/say.
Now if we are talking about loss of respect here is where I lost a lot of respect for Notch:

Disregard this if he makes the project open-source

Exactly, the guy is a hypocrite and I don't see how people still stand up for him. It's not about the money, here's a $2.5B deal. Minecraft got too hard to manage, didn't open source it and let the community make something incredible. He could of done that YEARS ago if that was truely his reasoning. If open sourcing it would of resulted in people losing their job, he could of just gave them his stocks and washed his hands free. Again, assuming it truely is not about the money these are much better options for the game and it's fans he claims to "love".

Minecraft started the indie revolution, and it is now owned my Microsoft. I think that is so very depressing. Many indie fans and developers get into this line of work because they want to avoid these companies. Once upon a time I feel Notch actually cared about Minecraft and it's fans, that Notch has been gone for awhile now though.

Last edited:

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Can we get a counter going on how many times "DLC" has been said in this thread?
Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk
Or a drinking game. How about you have to take twk suots for every brand new account post woth doom and gloom content.

That's not a drinking game, it's murder/suicide. :p

Are you trying to kill off the community through alcohol poisoning???
2 more drinks, folks :D

Shoot, beat me to it. :p

All right, purple-text time:
Whatever your opinion on current events, please keep in mind our top two rules:
1. Be respectful.
2. Be polite.
Additionally, keep in mind the following points from our policy on bullying and personal attacks:
*Attacks on mod developers will not be tolerated. (I, personally, hold that Notch and the other people at Mojang also fall under this policy.)​

"Mod developers are not always right. They are not inviolate. You may disagree with them, but the point at which it becomes bullying, harassing attacks against someone because you disagree with their choice is the point at which we are drawing the line."
*We want the community to be a friendlier place.
"Allow people to have a different opinion from you without feeling you must convert them to your side. If you cannot have a reasonable discussion without throwing insults, mudslinging and flame-wars the posts will be deleted. Repeated bullying tactics may result in a temporary or permanent ban from the forums."
*No bullying or attacking of anyone on the forums.
"This includes but is not limited to attacking mod developers over past incidents, name-calling of anyone, insults and mudslinging. This includes but is not limited to attempting to "sic the community" on a person you personally disagree with.

We are done with tolerating drama. We will not be condoning members using the forums as a platform to force their opinion on another person. You cannot make any community nicer by causing wars. You have a right to your opinion. They have a right to theirs. Attempting to force another person to change their opinion is bullying."

I suggest everyone should take a moment to read the rules and policy on bullying and personal attacks before continuing any further discussion.

Stay polite. Stay respectful. Follow Wheaton's Law. ;)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
@Flipz Well said.

Even with all of the tech mods we run, there is no room in FTB for one of these:

INTERNETHATE.jpg

Reactions: Ritt and Wagon153

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
That's not a drinking game, it's murder/suicide. :p

Shoot, beat me to it. :p

All right, purple-text time:
Whatever your opinion on current events, please keep in mind our top two rules:
1. Be respectful.
2. Be polite.
Additionally, keep in mind the following points from our policy on bullying and personal attacks:
*Attacks on mod developers will not be tolerated. (I, personally, hold that Notch and the other people at Mojang also fall under this policy.)
"Mod developers are not always right. They are not inviolate. You may disagree with them, but the point at which it becomes bullying, harassing attacks against someone because you disagree with their choice is the point at which we are drawing the line."
*We want the community to be a friendlier place.
"Allow people to have a different opinion from you without feeling you must convert them to your side. If you cannot have a reasonable discussion without throwing insults, mudslinging and flame-wars the posts will be deleted. Repeated bullying tactics may result in a temporary or permanent ban from the forums."
*No bullying or attacking of anyone on the forums.
"This includes but is not limited to attacking mod developers over past incidents, name-calling of anyone, insults and mudslinging. This includes but is not limited to attempting to "sic the community" on a person you personally disagree with.

We are done with tolerating drama. We will not be condoning members using the forums as a platform to force their opinion on another person. You cannot make any community nicer by causing wars. You have a right to your opinion. They have a right to theirs. Attempting to force another person to change their opinion is bullying."

I suggest everyone should take a moment to read the rules and policy on bullying and personal attacks before continuing any further discussion.

Stay polite. Stay respectful. Follow Wheaton's Law. ;)
Thanks

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a thought. Why don't we leave the worrying and decision making to the guys in suits, and go back to playing MC? Fine Microsoft owns Mojang now. But Minecraft still works doesn't it? Forge still loads. FTB/ATLauncher/Technic launchers still work. Lets stop worrying about the future. Worst comes the worst, we jump ship to Minetest/Factorio/TUG/<Insert name of sandbox here>.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a thought. Why don't we leave the worrying and decision making to the guys in suits, and go back to playing MC? Fine Microsoft owns Mojang now. But Minecraft still works doesn't it? Forge still loads. FTB/ATLauncher/Technic launchers still work. Lets stop worrying about the future. Worst comes the worst, we jump ship to Minetest/Factorio/TUG/<Insert name of sandbox here>.
Except then come the cease-and-desist letters for modding existing versions and DMCAs for the pro-modding clones we try and make.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Yah I can't figure out the forum video adding stuff

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the video by the way, he's literally saying what i've been trying to this entire time. Doomsday stuff... Complete sell out meaning there was no deals, employees can be fired and replaced immediately. Notch had complete and final say as he owns more than all other employees combined. They can do anything and everything with the game.

I recently started a new world and honestly my will to play is gone until we know what is going to happen. I even ordered another 16GB of RAM for my server yesterday, I probably should just send it back until we know what's going to happen. Why else would I need 32GB? :(

Go ahead, stop posting in the thread and go play MC then. Isn't that what this thread is for? I personally don't want to invest time in my new world not knowing what could be coming. We have no idea if Microsoft will allow FTB/ATlauncher/Technic launchers. They could patch the official launcher at any time to prevent them, and the new official launcher might not even allow using old versions of the game.

The modding community is a small part of the overall Minecraft community. There's multiple reasons for them to want everyone on the latest vanilla version only. Not to mention some custom launchers have stolen accounts in the past, and that's a big reason for them to prevent them.

Last edited:

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
My my, but wasn't Bebopvox a very, very angry man today. Never seen him like that before.

Not to say I don't understand where he's getting that from.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, DMCAs don't work on original code.

You don't think Microsoft's lawyers can't beat some random modder even if technically that modder didn't break any laws? This happens all the time. They most certainly can DMCA anyone who mods their game, even with 100% original code, with a simple EULA agreement. They will have one, all Microsoft games do, and you can bet there will be something in there stating they can terminate any modifications.

You can bet there will be something in there about custom launchers too. Not saying they will terminate them, but they will cover their asses when some custom launcher causes an issue or steals some information. They will have the right to close any launchers down.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
That video is the exact same reason Microsoft bought Rare from Nintendo.I just realized the Xbox one is in last place with sales between the Wii U in second, and Ps4 in first. I bet they bought minecraft as a business move.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
That video is the exact same reason Microsoft bought Rare from Nintendo.I just realized the Xbox one is in last place with sales between the Wii U in second, and Ps4 in first. I bet they bought minecraft as a business move.
Yes. Yes they did.

Reactions: RedBoss

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
My my, but wasn't Bebopvox a very, very angry man today. Never seen him like that before.

Not to say I don't understand where he's getting that from.
Oh I saw it coming... no modded madness for 4 days? Angry Bebop.