Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
THAT. There, you said it. You're not worried about them. "Yeah it sucks for them, but..." Translates to "I don't care what happens to peoples livelyhood, I want my game." That would be called entitlement.

I did paid for the game with the idea of being able to mod it for life. That's not entitlement, I own the game.

Again, don't see the big deal whether or not I care about the employees. You think notch sat in front of Microsoft and stated "But my fans... they won't like this, so we aren't going to sell". No. People do what is best for them, but most people try to sugar coat it, much like he did with that announcement. Almost everyone loses a job at some point in their life. They got paid well and have a good resume because of it, they'd have no problems getting a new job. We also have no proof yet that Microsoft isn't going to fire any of them, so the same can be said about you not worrying about the staff. This deal could be worse for them than Notch selling internally to someone on the current team. The game still makes a ton of money without Microsoft.

Edit: Especially since you still have your game. Just not more updates to that game.

Proof? You are doing a lot of assuming. If Microsoft forces us to update in order to play the game, the only way to play this version would be illegally by using a crack to bypass the launcher. Many AAA games nowadays require internet and pretty much force updates on you.

I don't think anyone would really have a problem if we were stuck on 1.7.10 forever. If anything it'd probably be better for the modding community than the constant porting cycle we have now.

Last edited:

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
In relation to modding other games, TUG and minetest have been talked about, along with Factorio.

If push comes to shove with Microsoft's policies, Factorio would really be an interesting choice to jump to. A 2D sandbox game built around automation and production... Hm. That would have some difficulties, but it would certainly make the game a lot more fun to play than the (already great) vanilla version.

Isn't there a Factorio somewhat-clone that looks similar, but in the third dimension?
Edit: Found it. InfiniExplorers.

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I am scared for the future of our game (given MS's history), there is one potential way that this might not be a problem. Maybe. If people at microsoft are thinking level-headed.

First, microsoft is in an expensive console war. PS4 versus XBone has a lot riding on the outcome. Imagine if every XBone comes with Minecraft for free -- do you think PS4 will win the war?

How much money has Microsoft invested in the XBone? How much is the XBone worth if it wins the console war? Isn't that, right there, enough of a return on investment, even before the licensing income?

Second: Someone has mentioned that Microsoft does not permit people to make money from playing their games. Putting videos on sites that have ads, if you don't get the ad revenue, isn't a problem; putting videos on sites where you get paid, is. That's the general rule for microsoft games.

Well, Disney owns several names besides Disney, and they don't all have the same policies for movies/ etc. Nothing might stop Microsoft from saying, "We did not buy Minecraft, we bought a company. That company will continue to produce a game, with it's own policies on the usage of that game". This would permit people to continue to try to make money from the game-related activities of Minecraft. This would permit people to continue to make mods and add features to the game.

Is MS a forward-thinking company? That's not the right question to ask. Somewhere, in MS's corporate structure, is one person that has the final say on things like this.

How forward-thinking is that one person? That is what we don't know. We don't even know who that person is.

We have gone from a world where the future of our entertainment is based on a company that says "go ahead, have fun, don't bother to pay us after-the-fact", to a company where someone unknown might choose to change that policy.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, you guys have to realize that all of the new MC features are community driven. Pretty much ALL new content has been derived from mods. If Microsoft drives MC in a way that it kills the modding community, they will be left with a dead game.

The other side is that a large commercial scene called "streaming" or "Youtubing" exists. i.e. Etho, B00, etc. Those people will continue to ensure that MC remains relatively mainstream, money-making, and exposed/popular. If they force these people to not make money off of MC, MC will die for sure.

The changes that are made to each version of MC are very minor in comparison to the changes we get in modded Minecraft. This sorta suggests that people play the game for the community, not the content.

So, it's a cloudy issue. The game's content is community driven. It would also seem that most people play MC/modded MC for the community. This leans towards saying that the community has all the control and Microsoft should bow down.

On the other hand, there are people who make their living streaming/Youtubing MC. The Minecrackers, etc. are good examples. They will continue to play MC regardless, since that is now their livelihood. This will ensure that MC will remain commercially viable, in a relative sense.

I am also sure that there are people out there who'd sell their souls to Microsoft, for the chance to get paid to mod. Though, remember that mods are community driven, since all content is community driven. Regardless if Microsoft comes out with their own franchise of modded Minecraft, it will remain largely in control of the fan-base. Already at this point in time, if I think a mod is a piece of shit, I won't use it.

So, take this like a pinch of salt (Is that a saying?) and calm down. Nothing will really change, except for those who will end up having their ideas owned by Microsoft (who were definitely aware that it could happen). Even then, they aren't who made the mods big, we were. If they want follow their principles, that's their decision. Once again, all content is community driven, and it's not like people can't learn to mod. Mods that historically have not listened to the community, don't last. Those who did... Well you can see the results with TC, TE, etc.

Keep in mind that I personally don't play vanilla MC. Even if they kill MC, I can continue to play FTB Monster for the rest of my life, as long as I don't make $$ off of it.

Reactions: Shazam08

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, you guys have to realize that all of the new MC features are community driven. Pretty much ALL new content has been derived from mods. If Microsoft drives MC in a way that it kills the modding community, they will be left with a dead game.
The smallest section of the Minecraft community that they don't even make money off of. They definitely care about it

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
The smallest section of the Minecraft community that they don't even make money off of. They definitely care about it

I still don't understand how vanilla Minecraft players take up the majority of the player base, even on PC. I tried doing it with 1.7, I lasted about 4 hours before getting bored. I think it'd be more fun if I didn't know what I was missing. I assume these people just do not know about mods or play extremely casually (1 hour a week).

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Sponges, clay, banners, horses, blah blah blah.

All the changes they make in each subsequent version of vanilla MC, in terms of content, has largely been derived from ideas found in the modded MC community. I have seen nothing innovative from vanilla MC, aside from maybe underwater dungeons. A large portion of the things they add are based in mods.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019

All the changes they make in each subsequent version of vanilla MC, in terms of content, has largely been derived from ideas found in the modded MC community. I have seen nothing innovative from vanilla MC, aside from maybe underwater dungeons. A large portion of the things they add are based in mods.

Don't forget armour stands. ;)

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I, personally, find it hilarious that anyone is saying, for one second, "How dare Notch take $2,500,000,000 dollars? What a sell-out."

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

Reactions: pc_assassin

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I, personally, find it hilarious that anyone is saying, for one second, "How dare Notch take $2,500,000,000 dollars? What a sell-out."

It's because he took the deal then posted about how it "wasn't about the money". He's trying to deny being a sell out, so naturally people are going to call him one. I find it hilarious that some people actually believe him. Nothing against people selling out, we all would of taken the deal, but he shouldn't of made a statement that is so obviously just a PR statement.

Reactions: trajing

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
It's because he took the deal then posted about how it "wasn't about the money". He's trying to deny being a sell out, so naturally people are going to call him one. I find it hilarious that some people actually believe him. Nothing against people selling out, we all would of taken the deal, but he shouldn't of made a statement that is so obviously just a PR statement.
I suspect it was true enough at the time..... and honestly probably still is. The guy wanted out of what he made for three years and kept plugging away.

Finally, the straw broke the camel's back and he made the decision he HAD to get out. And so, for many reasons, likely lying somewhere between justifying his choice to himself, making sure others would be taken care of and trying to present the entire Minecraft world with an emphatic "I'm out" he accepted a very generous offer that was probably floated across the table long before this.

Now, if you offered me that kind of cash you could have all of my living grandparents and it's silly to hold accepting that against him. Beyond that though, I'm firmly of the belief that he did this for himself; the money was just the cherry on top of something he wanted very badly to begin with.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019

In trying to formulate an argument against this, I realized you missed a few.
  • [1.7] New biome generation (Biomes O' Plenty, ATG, Highlands)
  • [1.8] Bunnies (Mo' Creatures)
  • [1.7] Pushable slime blocks (RP2's frames)
  • [1.7] Improved fishing (Mariculture)
  • [1.5] Comparator (RP2 logic)
  • [1.5] Activator Rail & TNT Minecart (Railcraft)
  • [1.5] Hopper (Buildcraft)
There may be more before MC's 1.5 update, but I'm lazy and didn't want to go back that far.

Anyway, Microsoft did get to be a multi-billion dollar company somehow. They won't cut off an already-thriving modding community, if they have any plans at all for the game's future.

Last edited:
Reactions: midi_sec

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
In trying to formulate an argument against this, I realized you missed a few.
  • New biome generation (Biomes O' Plenty, ATG, Highlands)
  • Bunnies (Mo' Creatures)
  • Pushable slime blocks (RP2's frames)
  • Improved fishing (Mariculture)
  • Comparator (RP2 logic)
  • Activator Rail & TNT Minecart (Railcraft)
  • Hopper (Buildcraft)
There may be more before MC's 1.5 update, but I'm lazy and didn't want to go back that far.

Anyway, Microsoft did get to be a multi-billion dollar company somehow. They won't cut off an already-thriving modding community, if they have any plans for the game's future.
Horses. How is everyone missing horses? They actually had the mod author help them work them into vanilla.