Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
MS monetizes enterprise development tools, but makes tools available for free to single developers/small shops. Again, they see it as in their interest for people to develop content for their platforms. And there is nothing wrong with C as a modding language. The vast majority of games are written in C++. Microsoft's version, C#, is very similar to Java. The only issue is that you are dependent on the API.

Actually, with Visual Studio everything compiles to the same runtime, no matter what format it's written in. You could write in Visual Basic while someone else writes in C++. The compiled libraries are shareable.

MS likes to get VS into individual/small shop hands for the same reason Apple started putting their computers (at a loss) in the hands of Schools/teachers back in the late 70's: Kids who learn on a specific product tend to stay with that product later in life.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
modifying code at the lowest levels is an invitation for incompatibilities which an API is designed to avoid
Except the reason I love MC is because of the wonderful things that are incompatible. I WANT my BTW, TFC, GT. They are some of the reasons I an here.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's time to lighten the mood again.
Just imagine... if Microsoft... was a lemur.
dont-panic-i-have-it-under-control.jpg

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe we will get to see Minecraft with Skyrim like graphics.[DOUBLEPOST=1410823877][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe we will get to see Minecraft with Skyrim like graphics.
do realize I obviously know that wouldn't work, but imagine if it did XD

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, I come back to find a bunch of headless chickens... Anyway, I definitely get where Notch is coming from. Imagine creating a little side project for yourself that then goes international and have people blame for every little thing related to it even after you have stopped working on it. Also you get d***heads like in this thread spamming about how bad his code is. Yeah no, I really don't care about your reasoning behind this. It is people like this that made Notch feel tired enough to quit in the first place. Instead of constant critiquing, did you ever consider saying thanks for a great game?

Well anyway: Lots of luck Notch and enjoy your private island.

Reactions: sqitchy

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe we will get to see Minecraft with Skyrim like graphics.[DOUBLEPOST=1410823877][/DOUBLEPOST]
do realize I obviously know that wouldn't work, but imagine if it did XD
They already have that. Shaders.
I never said it wouldn't melt your computer.

Reactions: Eruantien

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, waitasecond: what's going to happen to Feed The Beast? Isn't it a company that is based on MC?
#totallyNotTryingToPushPanicButtonButIsConcerned

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
As in TFC and/or GT have compat modules for the other so I can use tech in TFC? If so, I need to set up an instance.
Well, in 1.7 gregtech has built in compatibility for TFC. Of course, I have no idea if TFC is updated to 1.7 yet(I doubt it.)

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my thoughts:
What a sell out. He makes the game, throws it off to another team, and then sits back and cashes in. Then he sells the whole company as-if he wasn't already making enough (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here). They were working on a mod API, and adjusting core game code for it. That's a large part of the reason why modding took so long in 1.7, if i'm not mistaken.

I don't see Microsoft keeping the team working on a mod API. Didn't they hire someone strictly for this too? They'll focus on consoles and mobile devices for the game, but vanilla is boring and will never be fun again. Honestly I think this is an absolute worse case scenario. INB4 Microsoft sends forge a cease and desist, effectively killing modding.

Reactions: Omegatron

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
modifying code at the lowest levels is an invitation for incompatibilities which an API is designed to avoid
Which is why FML and Forge are a perfect combination. When enough mods start trying to do the same thing, it encourages implementation of it in the API. That's how we got a lot of things, like fluids.

When you're trapped into an API from the start, creativity is stifled.