Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think MS is fully evil, though large amounts of money make things evil by default. I think MS is extremely dumb with large amounts of money to compensate for un wise, or at least un lucky choices. Should I put my trust and effort into a company known to constantly make mistakes? When you put your trust into an unwise company you fall when they fall. Should I remind people of windows 8? Whose bad idea was that? Oh yea, Ms.
So much hate for Windows 8.... Makes me remind the hate for Windows XP at the time... or the hate for Windows 95 at the time too.... both the revolutionary OS's just become standard OS's with time.... In a couple years, Windows 10 or 12 will come and everyone will scream how about the new OS and how good Win8 was...

Yes, people hate changes and will resist them to their last nail even when its for the better! Just keep having fun with your windows XP or Windows 7...
I honestly feel like taking classes to learn how to program better so I can influence others to makes more indie games.
Good, go take some classes, then start working on the field, be kinda successful and come back in a few years when you have any considerable experience in IT/development/use patterns and good usability practices. Then you will better understand the technological advances some companies do and why they are, sadly, rejected.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
So much hate for Windows 8.... Makes me remind the hate for Windows XP at the time... or the hate for Windows 95 at the time too.... both the revolutionary OS's just become standard OS's with time.... In a couple years, Windows 10 or 12 will come and everyone will scream how about the new OS and how good Win8 was...

Yes, people hate changes and will resist them to their last nail even when its for the better! Just keep having fun with your windows XP or Windows 7...

Good, go take some classes, then start working on the field, be kinda successful and come back in a few years when you have any considerable experience in IT/development/use patterns and good usability practices. Then you will better understand the technological advances some companies do and why they are, sadly, rejected.
To be fair, ME and Vista were genuinely pretty terrible.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013

Sounds good to me :)

Windows 8 is on the "shit" pile along with ME and vista. So it its' mutant offspring Server 2012.

Horrible, horrible piece of arse.

Edit: Dothrom ninja'd my thought by literally 5 seconds. Be worried that anyone shares a mental wavelength with me :p

Reactions: DoomSquirter

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
There are people like me who unlike Notch would want the fame, and want the community. That's why my most favorite are companies like Square Enix and Nintendo. They stay loyal, and maybe they go out on a limb from time to time making strange games the fans don't really like, but they stay loyal. That's how gaming should be. You stay loyal to fans, they stay loyal to you. Notch increase that drive within me making me more loyal to non sellout companies, and made me want to get better at programming and maybe even create games.
It is so loyal that requested Youtube to remove LP's from the network since they had no license to make recordings of it. Nice way to get shoot in the foot!

You just found the perfect example of a company that ostracise their players and make dumb decisions.

I'm starting to realize that you think the opposite way.... bad companies are good... rest is evil![DOUBLEPOST=1411404735][/DOUBLEPOST]
To be fair, ME and Vista were genuinely pretty terrible.
Thats why I didnt included them :p

Windows 8 is on the "shit" pile along with ME and vista. So it its' mutant offspring Server 2012.

Edit: Dothrom ninja'd my thought by literally 5 seconds. Be worried that anyone shares a mental wavelength with me :p
Disclaimer: When I say windows 8, I mean 8.1. Dont know this 8 thing you talk about :p
8.1 is pretty awesome, but opinions are opinions. Time will tell...
And yes, they should had made an 2012.1 too....

Reactions: midi_sec

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
It is so loyal that requested Youtube to remove LP's from the network since they had no license to make recordings of it. Nice way to get shoot in the foot!

You just found the perfect example of a company that ostracise their players and make dumb decisions.

I'm starting to realize that you think the opposite way.... bad companies are good... rest is evil!

Thank you.

I wasn't going to touch that post, because I couldn't think of a nice way to say that he's mad if he thinks Nintendo and mf'ing SQUARE doesn't alienate sets of their fans. :D

@sqitchy There's only so much that fans can take. I was a fan of square long before enix. They're just not the same company anymore, and I've personally got no love left.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019

Subjectively, I agree about windows 8.
Objectively? It's UI is not optimal for use without touchscreen functionality. And I don't feel it's very well set up for power-users. However, unlike Vista, it does have significant performance improvements over 7. And the UI is very good for basic users using touchscreens/tablets.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019

I agree with the opposite of whatever you just said. I think the person making the LP should be good enough to have a decent fanbase, and also have permission from the company Nintendo or Square Enix . It eliminates people with bad showmanship who are making their games look bad. The goal is to only let people LP your game if they can successfully make it look entertaining, and maybe even better then it actually is.

MC was the only exception, and at the beginning notch wanted to do the same.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with the opposite of whatever you just said. I think the person making the LP should be good enough to have a decent fanbase, and also have permission from the company Nintendo or Square Enix . It eliminates people with bad showmanship who are making their games look bad. The goal is to only let people LP your game if they can successfully make it look entertaining, and maybe even better then it actually is.

U_WOT_M8.jpg

we're back again with bad ideas that they never followed through?

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with the opposite of whatever you just said. I think the person making the LP should be good enough to have a decant fan base, and also have permission from the company Nintendo or Square Enix . It eliminates people with bad showman ship who are making their games look bad. The goal is to only let people LP your game if they can successfully make it look entertaining, and maybe even better then it actually is.

AKA, if my game is shit, you are not allowed to make LP's from it and show how bad it is so I can make a lot of money until they realize its bad.

At least, the not so bad companies realize their mistakes and try to fix them. And usually end up being the bad guys, while the real bad guys just ignore the problems, sell the fix as a DLC and are heroes...

This just proves the problem is not on the companies, its on the communities that let them do this stuff and grab pitchforks when some less bad company does a mistake without giving time to the company to redem himself....

Sent from my CUBOT ONE using Tapatalk

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Well, if the concern now shifted to how bad it would be if Microsoft created a mod API(which is fun coz a couple weeks ago the discussion would be the lack of an API and now is the concern of one being created...), let me remind you that Microsoft is the gaming company with the best experience and capabilities to deliver the best API possible!

Keep in mind that they develop API's for more then 10 years, .NET is a success, they created XNA (although they stopped development) which delivered and still delivers some awesome games.
Every single day they create more and better API's that give developers better tools and more freedom to do what they want! They almost ripped apart their web server technology to create a new web server that is modular and much more easy to develop over(not perfect yet, but getting there) and gives almost total control to the developer!

This is not a company that creates an API where you have a method to create a mob allowing to set a texture and a biome to spawn. This is a company that will give you a mob interface and free reign to do whatever is possible to do, with the same control you would have if you had access to the full code!

Tell me a (gaming) company that might do a better job helping the mod community? Probably none. Not even Mojang. There is no other companies that have at their core business API developments and gaming at the same time! We are all used to the bad stuff we use to hear about Microsoft but that is usually due to the fact that the 10% of bad people there has more visibility then the other 90%. There is a lot of great minds there and they know how to do the stuff(and who knows, they might even play MC!). If Microsoft joins them together, greatness will happen!

Also, I repeat, Microsoft is not the monolithic company of the past! They changed and are much more modern. Before, employees were stuck inside their division, with no access to other projects, like the old companies. Now, if the Office developer has a cool idea for Windows he can work with them on is free time(like Google has, a couple hours every week to do whatever you want for the company). And awesome tools and features were created from this. You might not notice on your Windows OS but, us .NET developers keep seeing a lot of new crazy stuff being released. Will be funny to see how many of them will dedicate their time to MC :)

While I agree with you about Microsoft, I have to point this out:

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

While they are charging $20/month for access to the development tools and source code, that's better than the previous (and still prevalent) practice of charging a one-time fee into the thousands.

They have currently started a project (Unreal Tournament 4) that the whole community can participate in and the finished product is planned to be a free download. They apparently are looking at making their money from the development tools... Not a bad idea, considering Unreal Tournament's history with modding.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
@midi_sec What the hell are you talking about? How is this a bad idea? So the good idea would be let people with no business trying to act and record videos, act and record videos?

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
What the hell are you talking about? How is this a bad idea? So the good idea would be let people with no business trying to act and record videos, act and record videos?

You need to fix your BBCODE m8:p

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
AKA, if my game is shit, you are not allowed to make LP's from it and show how bad it is so I can make a lot of money until they realize its bad.

At least, the not so bad companies realize their mistakes and try to fix them. And usually end up being the bad guys, while the real bad guys just ignore the problems, sell the fix as a DLC and are heroes...

This just proves the problem is not on the companies, its on the communities that let them do this stuff and grab pitchforks when some less bad company does a mistake without giving time to the company to redem himself....

Sent from my CUBOT ONE using Tapatalk

Actually this proves nothing.
All this shows is ones person opinion vs a handful of others opinions.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
What the hell are you talking about? How is this a bad idea? So the good idea would be let people with no business trying to act and record videos, act and record videos?
Yeah, I see your perspective, but that doesn't mean that it's outdated.

These days, it's always a bad idea to squelch your audience. Free marketing is always good.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
True, but if I view a shitty let's play my impression of the game is the same, and my chances of trying it are slim.

Example I thought FTB BnB sucked due to the let's play. Then I watched SSundees and had to play it due to the amount of fun he made it seem. That impression stuck and I think BnB is one of the best ftb packs ever.

Reactions: pc_assassin

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
You shouldn't let yourself be so impressionable. Never let one a-hole sway your opinion about anything, or you'll be in bad shape later in life. :p

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Same goes for MC. I thought it sucked, but once I watched Pbg and his friends do a hardcore let's play I had to play it, and that impression stuck the last 3 years of playing MC.[DOUBLEPOST=1411407258][/DOUBLEPOST]
You shouldn't let yourself be so impressionable. Never let one a-hole sway your opinion about anything, or you'll be in bad shape later in life. :p
This isn't real life were talking about. This is vide games, which have no true meaning in real life.