Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
If I could choose language for NextMinecraft, I'd go with Scala. Or with Java core and mods in Scala or Java by modmaker's choice.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
I dont understand people that are leaving minecraft now, its too early to see if minecraft is going to colapse/rise up... -___-

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
I dont understand people that are leaving minecraft now, its too early to see if minecraft is going to colapse/rise up... -___-
a lot of people are scared of change or the unknown.

I can understand but I also disagree but this is due to my own opinions on the matter.

Sent from phone while at work.

Reactions: Vasa

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I would guess that Minecraft 2.0 will be a complete rewrite, to get rid of "old burdens" in its current code.
I'm pretty sure M$ will not ruin Minecraft, but they might very well ruin modded Minecraft.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Die hard pessimist, but even with that, I have to believe that any change in MC from M$ will be slow. They'd be complete fools to do anything sudden/quick. I'm very worried about the mods and devs that make those mods and how they are going to be treated by micromojang. *sigh*

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
Also, can people please read up on the difference between C++ and C#? It is a mile wide.
My reasons to saying C++/C# are the following C# and java are very very similar languages. And MC alreadys exists in C++ in the form of pocket edition

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
My reasons to saying C++/C# are the following C# and java are very very similar languages. And MC alreadys exists in C++ in the form of pocket edition
and C++ and C# can both be compiled to the .NET CLR (equivalent to java's bytecode)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, if they port Minecraft, something I'll point out as being exceedingly unlikely, it'd be to C#, since it and Java are very, very similar. Also, the 360 edition of Minecraft may have been made using C++/CLI; if I remember correctly, several XNA tutorials are written assuming you're using it and not C#. However, they also could've easily made it in Visual BASIC.Net, since if memory serves, XNA supports anything so long as it compiles into .Net's intermediate bytecode.

If they were to port it to .Net (irrespective of language, since .Net pretty much doesn't care, minus a few imports), then...why would they need to have a secondary scripting language for modding? RunUO has proven that you can do both game (or in its case, server emulation) and modular scripting all in .Net, thanks to .Net's reflection libraries, which can actually make a small .Net compiler if you've got the time, patience, and maybe an example or two to use. That's one of the reasons I love .Net, its incredibly flexible. Its like that one guy in school; the one that's always calm, cool, and confident. You don't even need to worry about cross-platform capability, since the Mono project and its constituent bits and bobs can handle that quite easily.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I personally am struggling to figure out WHY anyone would pay Mojang over 2 billion dollars for MineCraft.

The only reason I can think of is that it is insanely popular and that Microsoft are looking for titles that can become 'exclusive' to Microsoft controlled platforms (XBox, Windows Phone...).

If that is the case, then I suspect that the modded minecraft community (and all those businesses in this ecosystem) are now living on borrowed time, along with the army of YouTubers (Yogscast et.all) who create a lot of content based on MineCraft.

-Wuffle

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I personally am struggling to figure out WHY anyone would pay Mojang over 2 billion dollars for MineCraft.

The only reason I can think of is that it is insanely popular and that Microsoft are looking for titles that can become 'exclusive' to Microsoft controlled platforms (XBox, Windows Phone...).

If that is the case, then I suspect that the modded minecraft community (and all those businesses in this ecosystem) are now living on borrowed time, along with the army of YouTubers (Yogscast et.all) who create a lot of content based on MineCraft.

-Wuffle
some CEO saw notch's tweet about "give me 2 billion and you'll get MC" (paraphrased) and had the bean counters do the math

some cutbacks and negotiations later and the rest is history

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019

-Wuffle

I've heard the merchandise department makes more than the actual game. I would imagine they are planning on rewriting the game, making the new game exclusive to XB1, MS Phones, and possibly Windows, then releasing paid content on a regular basis. Who knows, they could even be planning a Minecraft MMO. 2.5 billion is a lot and they likely have some rather large plans to justify it. They will most likely design something that gets constant money from the users.

I think the best thing they can do is rewrite the game, as long as it releases on PC with mod API. Make 1.8 the final version of Minecraft, minus small fixes patches, and let modders go to town on it. I could honestly look past paid DLC and expansions in the next Minecraft if there is an official mod API and if it's actually a good game. But that'll take 5 years and many people got into minecraft because it was a cheap alternative to AAA games. It wouldn't be as popular if it was $60.

I think Microsoft made a bad move, the target audience is not what they are use too.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The difference between (ex) Mojang / Notch and Microsoft is that Microsoft is a big media company. They make content, that they sell. They are openly hostile to anyone deriving revenue from their IP unless its through some neatly packaged portal through with they get their cut. The existing EULAs on all their current gaming platforms, for example, only allows uploaded videos to be displayed alongside advertising as long as the uploader derives no income from the advertising whatsoever.

So, all those "lets play"ers who might be deriving a small income, and modders who are compensated even slightly via Paetron or AdFly links are going to wave goodbye to that soon.

Notch on the other hand, was perfect to remain in charge of Minecraft, ironically for the same reasons he doesn't want to. He was not interested in milking Minecraft to make even more of a commercial success of it. EULA teacup storms notwithstanding, Mojang was quite prepared to let modders, and twitchers and lets players make whatever income they could off the side, and tried quite hard to only exclude monetiziation that would have negatively impacted the "cool"-factor of the minecraft experience.

Microsoft has spent $2.5b on this. They are not going to be content to tinker with it for the cool factor. They are going to take the Minecraft name and turn it into a bright, polished shiny "product" for consumers to consume.
It will be good. So very good.
And those of us, who remember modded minecraft, when anyone could contribute a mod will hate every polished moment of the experience.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
The difference between (ex) Mojang / Notch and Microsoft is that Microsoft is a big media company. They make content, that they sell. They are openly hostile to anyone deriving revenue from their IP unless its through some neatly packaged portal through with they get their cut. The existing EULAs on all their current gaming platforms, for example, only allows uploaded videos to be displayed alongside advertising as long as the uploader derives no income from the advertising whatsoever.

So, all those "lets play"ers who might be deriving a small income, and modders who are compensated even slightly via Paetron or AdFly links are going to wave goodbye to that soon.

Notch on the other hand, was perfect to remain in charge of Minecraft, ironically for the same reasons he doesn't want to. He was not interested in milking Minecraft to make even more of a commercial success of it. EULA teacup storms notwithstanding, Mojang was quite prepared to let modders, and twitchers and lets players make whatever income they could off the side, and tried quite hard to only exclude monetiziation that would have negatively impacted the "cool"-factor of the minecraft experience.

Microsoft has spent $2.5b on this. They are not going to be content to tinker with it for the cool factor. They are going to take the Minecraft name and turn it into a bright, polished shiny "product" for consumers to consume.
And those of us, who remember modded minecraft, when anyone could contribute a mod will hate every polished moment of the experience.
Exactly my sentiment.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

I really think that you are too pessimistic. Note, I'm not saying that what you're saying isn't possible. It sure is but I consider it a worst case scenario. I still believe (maybe naively or not) that this may turn out well in the end. In any case, whatever is going to happen, it is too early to make predictions right now. We don't really know what MS plans to do and any negative or positive scenarios as described in this thread are all just speculation.