Mod/Item/Stuff Ideas

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dare2Win

Jul 29, 2019
I have an idea for MPS, just a little addon. When i visit the end to go to the enderman farm someone built (no soul shards) enderman always think i am looking at them, so i need a pumpkin (edited my faitful texture pack so i dont see the annoying mask). Then i cant use my other helmet features.

So, a pumpkin-like upgrade for the helmet

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Here's what I'd like a mod maker to do.

Curtains.

Now, here's why. I want to have a place to grow mushrooms or use the moistener, so just slap up some curtains and lower the light level. Some curtain could block light totally (black) and others just reduce the light level some. Also could be quite useful for making a spawner better in some circumstances. Oh and curtains, ya can walk through them and the enemies can too. Anyhow, that's all I want ... I want some curtains. :)

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the mods I'd have a go at if I ever get round to it:

small: movement detectors (like the PIRs on your house alarm) visible or invisible beam, can set to players/hostiles/animals - attach to a block like a tripwire hook does, emits redstone pulse when beam is broken)

small: addon for BC quarry - "advanced quarries" (modules to do stuff like prefilter items so quarry can automatically annihilate unwanted blocks before they leave the quarry, remove water and lava blocks, turn lava to obsidian - configurable block at base, wireless attachment to quarry out in the world)

huge: space marines (power armour, 3 block tall players (heh), orks, eldar and chaos etc. mobs in the world, bolt guns, chain swords, rhinos)

SmirkNMerk

Jul 29, 2019
MOD IDEA

I will preface these ideas by saying that I do not have the ability to program so if someone want to take the ideas and run with be my guest. I have some design and artistic skills I can assist with skins if need be.

Now as for my ideas. I would love it if we could have a mod that would add a tool belt and weapon holster. The tool belt and weapon holster would be items that you'd place in your hot bar that would allow you to hold several tools/weapons in that slot at once. You could then toggle through the tools/ weapons to the one you want to use saving space in your inventory and while having the convenience of your desired tool/ weapon a hot key away.

For example let say the tool belt is in your first slot. If you shift click you can open the interface and add tools to the belt. There can be one two or three tiers of belts that hold more items. I'm thinking the first tier could have 3 slots, the second 6, and the third 9. If you had the level 1 belt you could add the pickaxe, axe and shovel. When you want the particular item you press a hotkey to toggle through the tools. The same functionality would be used for weapon holsters. You could add swords, bow, etc to that. It would really be cool if the belts with the items could be rendered on the character.

Crafting the belts and holster could be done on a sewing machine that has an interface that similar to the crafting table. The recipe could be leather and string. Maybe the leather need to be treated first or put together to form a pattern and then sewn together to add steps to the process for the upper tier versions. The belts/holsters should be able to be dyed for customization.

The machine for this mod could be a sewing machine like I mentioned previously. The low tier sewing machine could be manual simulating using a foot pedal that consumes hunger bar. The 2nd tier would of course use power of some sort (BC perhaps). Another machine could be a loom to make cloth from string or cotton or other existing modded plants. You could use these machine to make other items like curtains rugs and carpets that can be upgraded or enchanted perhaps to enable or prevent mobs spawning, or teleportation etc... You could make a shoe making machine to make shoe and boots with different bonuses or abilities. For instance if you craft leather, rubber, string and those pesky quartz from Xycraft you can make boots with climbing spikes that allow you to climb up/down anything like ladders.

With machines like that you of course are going to need a variety textiles. We should kill a few birds with one stone and add alligators to river and swamp biomes to bring some much needed aquatic life to the game. I envision that they would lurk in water near shores waiting to snatch unsuspecting prey. If they happen to snatch you then expect to be dragged into water to the bottom to be drowned unless you can fight free of their grip. Maybe some sort of boots can be crafted that will help you protect yourself from these encounters. Of course if you are able to kill the alligator you should be able to fashion a host of items from their skin. "Now or Later Gators" anyone? Or how about snake skin items from the hides of pythons from jungle biomes or sidewinders in desert biomes or the deadly black mambas from savannah biome or water moccasins in rivers and swamps. Plus with the introduction of venomous snakes there's an opportunity for creating potions/antidotes that can then be crafted into poison arrows and the like.

Finally I'd love to see some sort of powerful rare air creature. I'm thinking maybe a Gryphon? It could attack players and villagers out of the blue by swooping down and abducting them. Maybe taking them back to their nest/lair where a great treasure is guarded by them. They could only come out to attack at specific times or conditions for instance, full moons or high flux levels. If you kill the Gryphon then some special item or treasure could yours for the taking.

It could also have other rare mythological creatures like Bigfoot in forests and yeti in snowy biomes that could be hard to find and offer some good item drops or trophies. Bigfoot rug in front of your fireplace sounds nice. Unicorn could be nice with the addition of horses to 1.6.

To add more reason to go into ocean biomes you could add clams to the ocean floors under y50 where you can find pearls. Pearls could be nice to craft with to make pearl handled tools. This could be made a perilous endeavor by the presence of sharks which would require the use of harpoons tipped with either flint or Xycraft quartz to defend yourself with. Also shark fin could be a potion item that could aid in swimming speed and/or aqua affinity perhaps. To aid in seeing underwater special torches like chem lights could be dropped to illuminate the depths while pearl hunting and could be crafted with sticks and glowstone dust.

Piranha could be added to jungle ponds or rivers. They could swarm players and mobs like silverfish. Turtles could be added for harvesting their shell to make aquatic armor and making soup.

Dolphins could be added too for the purpose of taming them and using them drag boats great distances really fast via a harness crafted on the sewing machine from shark skin. They could be guided by the fishing pole with some sort of bait.

With all of the new activity on the water other items and devices would required to fully capitalize on what the mod would have to offer. Like more boat types. Rafts that are the basis for platforms like offshore drilling or large fishing operations maybe. Canoes that can hold chests. You should be able to make an offboard motor that's expensive to make so that the dolphin harnessed boat is a comparatively cheap alternative. A submarine with that can dig efficiently, collect pearls quickly and make underwater maps. Once these maps are created and clams and other items of importance are located then maybe you could automate the harvesting process somehow with other unmanned subs or turtles. The submarine would be comprised of components in a multi-block structure. The hull would have to be made from steel, the air would be supplied by airpumps and that would be combined with some sort of control module and tools module.

Also you could add nets to aid in fishing or protecting underwater areas crafted from string and ink sacs for buoys and cobble for weights.

Just a few thoughts.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
How about a block called Darkstone or Nightstone. Basically, looks like glowstone but is black, and instead of raising the light level to 15 (which then gets darker as it travels) It reduces the light level to 0, and has a radius just like a torch.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
What happens if Glowstone and Nightstone touch? Do they balance each other out (Making 7.5 light level) or do they cancel each other out (not changing the light level at all)?

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Imploding is harder to make than exploding. Do you know the coding it required to create the REd Matter Bomb?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It would probably depend which was placed first or depend on when a block updates in the area affected.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Well if the Glowstone automatically sets the area to 15, and the Nightstone automatically sets it to zero, they will have a fight. Every tick it will alternate between 0 and 15. Or, you can cause it to be that when the Nightstone and Glowstone touch, they cancel or balance each other out.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well if the Glowstone automatically sets the area to 15, and the Nightstone automatically sets it to zero, they will have a fight. Every tick it will alternate between 0 and 15. Or, you can cause it to be that when the Nightstone and Glowstone touch, they cancel or balance each other out.
Or implode!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the mods I'd have a go at if I ever get round to it:

small: addon for BC quarry - "advanced quarries" (modules to do stuff like prefilter items so quarry can automatically annihilate unwanted blocks before they leave the quarry, remove water and lava blocks, turn lava to obsidian - configurable block at base, wireless attachment to quarry out in the world)
I really like this idea.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Depends on how it's coded

It could be glowstone blocks automatically add 15 to the light level and the light level method can handle having numbers greater than 15 and just return a value of 15. If it works that way then when the nightstone is placed it would just automatically set the light level to 0(Assuming the method just changed the light level method to return 0). But if you placed the glowstone second then it would add 15 to that 0. There are a few different ways it could go and what happens after would depends upon how often they updated; if they updated, etc.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I really like this idea.
I can see server owners liking this a lot. If there are spewed items, it'll only be a couple stacks at most with no cobblestone and what-not.[DOUBLEPOST=1366593134][/DOUBLEPOST]Darkstone, Nightstone, or whatever sounds like a SS mod.
4 Corrupted Essence=1 Darkstone

Reactions: Technician

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
But the thing would most likely be keeping the light level at 0, and at 15 for the Glowstone. That is supposedly what Glowstone does. Technically, all lightblocks keep the level at something certain. THey don't set it and leave it.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
But the thing would most likely be keeping the light level at 0, and at 15 for the Glowstone. That is supposedly what Glowstone does. Technically, all lightblocks keep the level at something certain. THey don't set it and leave it.
But it's unknown whether they check per tick which would probably end up with a lot of lag or based on when their block or the blocks they affect/touch are updated. I also couldn't be sure if changing the light level of a block updates it or not.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
But it's unknown whether they check per tick which would probably end up with a lot of lag or based on when their block or the blocks they affect/touch are updated. I also couldn't be sure if changing the light level of a block updates it or not.
Redstone's light level can be changed, and it updates.
Code:
i_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _(lowest light level)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _i_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (higher light level)

i=torch
_=redstone

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Redstone's light level can be changed, and it updates.
Code:
i_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _(lowest light level)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _i_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (higher light level)

i=torch
_=redstone
Both are additive sources of light though. Also I think the light updates based on any block being affected by the light source updating. Light level also doesn't update a block I would think considering a floating layer of snow will stay floating going from day to night or vice versa as far as I know.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Imploding is harder to make than exploding. Do you know the coding it required to create the REd Matter Bomb?

oddly many large explostions are not just exploding out but have an implostion phase were stuff gets sucked back into the point of origain. This is one of the things that makes nukes so bad. You have this blast then this reservse blast.