Mekanism: Feature Request Thread

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
So, what is Mekanisms native power generation now then? RF? TBH, the TE3 conduits are almost like UE cables, and I know the UE cables always seem plagued with performance issues.
One one hand, it's a shame that Mek has dropped UE, since the UE mods and Mek have similar styles (I assume same artist/modeller) for a consistent look, but on the other, it's better to embrace a more performance friendly power system.

Mek and TE3 work really well hand in hand. They compliment each other. While the basic blocks are similar, they both also offer unique processing recipes.

Is there a guide anywhere to how the digital miner works? Would love to experiment with that.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a guide anywhere to how the digital miner works? Would love to experiment with that.
I played with it a little bit, but not enough to write a guide for it. The only part that's even remotely confusing is the part where you tell it what to dig up.

I found that the easiest thing to do was to add an oredict entry for *ore* and let it go to town. Everything else was pretty self-explanatory. Output on the back. Power anywhere. Chest full of things to replace holes with on top.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
[Snip]
Quick and dirty guide just for you

As mentioned in a previous comment, the most confusing part is the configuration

The initial gui is well labeled, and should be self explanatory.. except for the auto-pull and auto-eject
The miner when those are enabled will pull items from an inventory on the black square on the TOP to use for its replacement block
Whilst it will eject out the black square on the BACK of the machine.

Now, to the Config screen
When you first open it up, I'll focus to the left hand side of the panel, that is where you set the area for it to dig, Radius is the number in blocks it will extend the area out centered on the digital miner. Min is the y-height of the bottom most part of the area it will search. Max is the top of the area.

Itemstack is the easiest filter to explain, put an item into it and it will search the area for an exact match. For instance if you wanted just iron, you'd put iron ore in there.

OreDict uses the forge ore dictionary to identify items. The confusing part about this however is it uses the exact name of things in the ore dictionary, and not everything is in the ore dictionary either. Something like orecopper should pull all mod types of copper from the ground (Not entirely sure that would work, but that's how things are entered into the ore dictionary)

I find this filter easiest to use with the wildcard symbol *. so something like ore* or stone* are valid entries to this filter. those would pull all types of ore or all types of stone registered in the ore dictionary from the ground. Be careful when putting just * (a filter for every block) into the filter as the digital miner can actually dig itself up if it's in the area it's digging from.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
honestly i've set it in my configs to have everything display in rf and ive made it so all the machines take 40 rf/t like al the te machines and the digiminer takes 200 rf/t and the heat generator makes 5 rf/t passive. the hydrogen gen makes 120 rf/t

Reactions: epidemia78

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Quick and dirty guide just for you

As mentioned in a previous comment, the most confusing part is the configuration

The initial gui is well labeled, and should be self explanatory.. except for the auto-pull and auto-eject
The miner when those are enabled will pull items from an inventory on the black square on the TOP to use for its replacement block
Whilst it will eject out the black square on the BACK of the machine.

Now, to the Config screen
When you first open it up, I'll focus to the left hand side of the panel, that is where you set the area for it to dig, Radius is the number in blocks it will extend the area out centered on the digital miner. Min is the y-height of the bottom most part of the area it will search. Max is the top of the area.

Itemstack is the easiest filter to explain, put an item into it and it will search the area for an exact match. For instance if you wanted just iron, you'd put iron ore in there.

OreDict uses the forge ore dictionary to identify items. The confusing part about this however is it uses the exact name of things in the ore dictionary, and not everything is in the ore dictionary either. Something like orecopper should pull all mod types of copper from the ground (Not entirely sure that would work, but that's how things are entered into the ore dictionary)

I find this filter easiest to use with the wildcard symbol *. so something like ore* or stone* are valid entries to this filter. those would pull all types of ore or all types of stone registered in the ore dictionary from the ground. Be careful when putting just * (a filter for every block) into the filter as the digital miner can actually dig itself up if it's in the area it's digging from.
Thanks for that, that's really useful.

What does it do with ore blocks that drop items? Such as Redstone, Diamond, etc. If you wanted to filter for just redstone, would you need a redstone ore block (ignoring the programmable side of things atm)?

The digital miner would be perfect to locate a rarest resource in my pack, Naquadah Ore. It behaves like redstone where you get drops from digging it up.
If I can get it to work, then I can place it, set max radius, filter, give it some power, and leave it running in the hope it'll locate some of the ore.

I take it it's not blocked by lava/bedrock? Does it need a chunk loader to be able to scan the radius, or has it got chunk loading in built?

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
The digital miner would be perfect to locate a rarest resource in my pack, Naquadah Ore. It behaves like redstone where you get drops from digging it up.
If I can get it to work, then I can place it, set max radius, filter, give it some power, and leave it running in the hope it'll locate some of the ore.

Naquadah Ore? Is there a StarGate mod in your pack?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Naquadah Ore? Is there a StarGate mod in your pack?
There is indeed. Used on our server as a means of unlocking the Twilight Forest and a way of "balancing" the content. You need to find or build a stargate to visit the TF, bit more interesting then just throwing a diamond in a pool of water.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
There's a Silk Touch setting for the digital miner as well but it takes a lot more power when silk touch is activated.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
Aidan definitely does some fantastic work. I've been a very happy Mekanism user since early 1.4. One fantastic thing that Mekanism adds is universal power cabling, which will carry EU, MJ, or UE's power. I currently have 16 Mekanism heat generators, and a Basic Energy Cube works as an adapter, so that I can then use that power as MJ for Ender IO machines. It's great stuff.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for that, that's really useful.

What does it do with ore blocks that drop items? Such as Redstone, Diamond, etc. If you wanted to filter for just redstone, would you need a redstone ore block (ignoring the programmable side of things atm)?

I take it it's not blocked by lava/bedrock? Does it need a chunk loader to be able to scan the radius, or has it got chunk loading in built?

if you're filtering for redstone for instance, you'll need to set it to redstone ore blocks, because that's what it will find in the world
If you don't have silk touch, you can use the combiner to make the ore block, but it will always be at a loss to make it. So if you can silk touch, do that.

As far as I can tell, it's not chunk loading, and it doesn't get blocked by lava/obsidian. One flaw/advantage (Depends on how you look) is it will only deal with the world as it was when you pressed start. So if you filter it for obsidian, and then while it's mining go and pour water on a lava lake, it won't mine that up until you press reset and start again

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
if you're filtering for redstone for instance, you'll need to set it to redstone ore blocks, because that's what it will find in the world
If you don't have silk touch, you can use the combiner to make the ore block, but it will always be at a loss to make it. So if you can silk touch, do that.

As far as I can tell, it's not chunk loading, and it doesn't get blocked by lava/obsidian. One flaw/advantage (Depends on how you look) is it will only deal with the world as it was when you pressed start. So if you filter it for obsidian, and then while it's mining go and pour water on a lava lake, it won't mine that up until you press reset and start again
Hmm. Ok, so I need to hope that Naquadah with work in the text filter then :D Being quite rare, I've only found 1 block in my manual mining and occasional quarries.
Don't really need any other resources, and need something a bit more refined to locate one resource. A quarry is like using a nuke to dig a hole, a bit overkill.

I like that it doesn't chunkload, the BC quarry chunkloads, but it's recipe never changed for the increased functionality.[DOUBLEPOST=1389701857][/DOUBLEPOST]
Aidan definitely does some fantastic work. I've been a very happy Mekanism user since early 1.4. One fantastic thing that Mekanism adds is universal power cabling, which will carry EU, MJ, or UE's power. I currently have 16 Mekanism heat generators, and a Basic Energy Cube works as an adapter, so that I can then use that power as MJ for Ender IO machines. It's great stuff.
The only thing I think that could be improved is the GUIs, some are not that intuitive in their usage which is a hurdle to first time users. But, GUI design is the most boring part :p

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I did a basic overview and starter 'how to' video on the Digital Miner, if anyone is interested. (It was the very first video I ever did, so be gentle on the reviews. Heh.)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I did a basic overview and starter 'how to' video on the Digital Miner, if anyone is interested. (It was the very first video I ever did, so be gentle on the reviews. Heh.)
Nice, I'll be checking that out tonight, when I play with a new shiny toy.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It's official, I'm in love with the Digital Miner.

After building all the infrastructure needed to craft it, throwing in all the materials, plus the extra bits needed to power it. I finally got to play with it.
Just as an experiment, I place it in my base, the underground of which I have been manually mining. Told it to search for Naquadah Ore within max range, and it gave me back a stack and a bit in a few seconds. Just shows what you can miss when manually mining.
Not sure if it's still "OP" in the version of Mekanism I'm currently using (Mekanism-v5.6.0.662), but I think it found about 15 ore blocks, and mined them near instantly.

It's not really that difficult to use, once shown how - thanks Vaygrim!

On a separate note, what does the Robit do? I see it's part of the crafting recipe, but haven't seen anyone mention it.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
It's official, I'm in love with the Digital Miner.

After building all the infrastructure needed to craft it, throwing in all the materials, plus the extra bits needed to power it. I finally got to play with it.
Just as an experiment, I place it in my base, the underground of which I have been manually mining. Told it to search for Naquadah Ore within max range, and it gave me back a stack and a bit in a few seconds. Just shows what you can miss when manually mining.
Not sure if it's still "OP" in the version of Mekanism I'm currently using (Mekanism-v5.6.0.662), but I think it found about 15 ore blocks, and mined them near instantly.

It's not really that difficult to use, once shown how - thanks Vaygrim!

On a separate note, what does the Robit do? I see it's part of the crafting recipe, but haven't seen anyone mention it.
The robit is a little robot. It has a crafting table an anvil and an inventory. It can follow you around. It must be placed on a charge pad. In the digital miners original recipe it was a circuit but I requested it be changed to the robot just to make it more expensive. I think it was a good choice because the digital miner it's sooooo powerful.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss