Mekanism: Feature Request Thread

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible yet to use a digital miner as an impromptu tree farm? I tried a while back, but I could never get it to work properly. I mostly ask because I love building weird things, lol.

I don't see why not as long as the wood is registered in the oreDictionary...

meuqsaco

Jul 29, 2019
Aidan, what about energy/liquid monitors for RF/UE/MJ like Nuclear Control addon for IC2 has? That is one of the very few things I miss from IC2.

Reactions: Mevansuto

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see why not as long as the wood is registered in the oreDictionary...
Basically what CascadingDragon said, Mekanism's Digital Miner does do a scan and harvest every tick. But rather it does a scan, registers everything within the perimeter given to it by you via the configuration GUI, then it starts mining. So in your case, what will happen is if the tree isn't grown yet when you started it, it will not harvest the tree when it matures. If you started the miner on a mature tree, it might (not sure, not used it on trees before) harvest the tree and when done, it will stop. Not paused, it stops since it has completed it's task. So to harvest again, you'll need to go start it up again.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Does Mekanism have TE recipes? I imagine it would benefit from them if it doesn't.
TBH I find the Mek recipes quite "balanced" in their materials and crafting steps. Similar complexity level to TE3. If anything, slightly more complex as many components need a dedicated machine to craft, while TE3 all components are done in a crafting table.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Basically what CascadingDragon said, Mekanism's Digital Miner does do a scan and harvest every tick. But rather it does a scan, registers everything within the perimeter given to it by you via the configuration GUI, then it starts mining. So in your case, what will happen is if the tree isn't grown yet when you started it, it will not harvest the tree when it matures. If you started the miner on a mature tree, it might (not sure, not used it on trees before) harvest the tree and when done, it will stop. Not paused, it stops since it has completed it's task. So to harvest again, you'll need to go start it up again.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk
One solution to this would be to make it respond to redstone. Have a part of the GUI that lets you configure it, e.g. only run when receiving a redstone signal or rescan and restart when a redstone pulse is received.

Reactions: Padfoote

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
TBH I find the Mek recipes quite "balanced" in their materials and crafting steps. Similar complexity level to TE3. If anything, slightly more complex as many components need a dedicated machine to craft, while TE3 all components are done in a crafting table.

Could both kinds of recipes be mixed successfully?

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Adding TE recipes would also remove the purpose of osmium in the world and kinda kill the feel of mechanism, something like MRF pull the TE recipes deal off quite nicely because there isn't any overlap, a lot of mekanism and TE is rather similar (not necessarily bad though).
I would like to formally request a possible recipe to make clay blocks :).

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Adding TE recipes would also remove the purpose of osmium in the world and kinda kill the feel of mechanism, something like MRF pull the TE recipes deal off quite nicely because there isn't any overlap, a lot of mekanism and TE is rather similar (not necessarily bad though).

You could still use osmium in the recipes, perhaps just adding machine frames and reception coils. Maybe force machine blocks to use steel.

Edit: Seconded clay machine.

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty! Added a new Metallurgic Infuser infuse type - "Fungi." Get this by simply placing mushrooms in the infuse slot; you'll get 10 units of Fungi infuse! Infusing a dirt block with the Fungi infuse will yield 1 Clay Block.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty! Added a new Metallurgic Infuser infuse type - "Fungi." Get this by simply placing mushrooms in the infuse slot; you'll get 10 units of Fungi infuse! Infusing a dirt block with the Fungi infuse will yield 1 Clay Block.
at first i was like "oh, a way to create mycelium" but then i was like "WTF?". didn't know mekanism was involved with magic...

Reactions: Pokefenn

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
i'd really like that science part to be explained.
I don't care, I can make massive amounts of clay now. W00T.

I would have asked for it here but I didn't wanna bug ya Aidan. Mekanism has been a go to mod for me since RR was a DIY pack. It's grown into a must have mod now.

Reactions: Padfoote

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, to clear the heads of the physicists here, I'm changing the recipe a bit. Load up a Chemical Injection Chamber with some Water Vapor, and run an operation with dirt to get Clay Blocks. The previous recipe now makes Mycelium.
now that makes more sense. to me at least :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Aiden, I see on your website you want feedback about 1.6.4 release of V6, with the pros and cons.

I'd say, go for it! Just wondering though, could you do something like TE3 when they updated their ducts/conduits? A crafting recipe to convert old to new? The old basically became placeholders with no functionality.