Mekanism: Feature Request Thread

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, this has been really bugging me for a long time and I think it would fit Mek, so hear me out on this one:

I was thinking that it might be nice if we had dedicated mid-late game electric mobility armor. You know, something for people who really need to move around a lot, like on an SMP server. The basic functionality of the suit would be something like this:
  • All Pieces: Iron or Invar Tier Protection (needs power)
  • Helmet: Water Breathing (needs Oxygen), Underwater Vision, Increased Swimming Speed
  • Chestplate: Jetpack Functionality (needs Hydrogen)
  • Leggings: Increased Walking Speed, Increased Sprinting Speed
  • Boots: +1 Step Height, Doubled Jump Height, No Fall Damage
For referance, Hydrogen/Oxygen would still show up on the side and in the tooptip, but the durability bar would represent the energy. Also, these thingswould be nice additions to this base:
  • Helmet: Increased Oxygen Storage and Charge Rate (compared to Scuba Mask)
  • Chestplate: Increased Hydrogen Storage and Charge Rate (compared to Jetpack); New Mode: Jet (Greatly increases horizontal movement speed but with decreased vertical speed and doubled hydrogen drain while moving).

Thoughts?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Ok, this has been really bugging me for a long time and I think it would fit Mek, so hear me out on this one:

I was thinking that it might be nice if we had dedicated mid-late game electric mobility armor. You know, something for people who really need to move around a lot, like on an SMP server. The basic functionality of the suit would be something like this:
  • All Pieces: Iron or Invar Tier Protection (needs power)
  • Helmet: Water Breathing (needs Oxygen), Underwater Vision, Increased Swimming Speed
  • Chestplate: Jetpack Functionality (needs Hydrogen)
  • Leggings: Increased Walking Speed, Increased Sprinting Speed
  • Boots: +1 Step Height, Doubled Jump Height, No Fall Damage
For referance, Hydrogen/Oxygen would still show up on the side and in the tooptip, but the durability bar would represent the energy. Also, these thingswould be nice additions to this base:
  • Helmet: Increased Oxygen Storage and Charge Rate (compared to Scuba Mask)
  • Chestplate: Increased Hydrogen Storage and Charge Rate (compared to Jetpack); New Mode: Jet (Greatly increases horizontal movement speed but with decreased vertical speed and doubled hydrogen drain while moving).

Thoughts?
Man your late on this one... Jetpack has already been added as well as a scuba tank. They run off hydrogen and oxygen respectively. Fall damage reduction boots are planned.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Like the idea there @Zenthon_127 Always having to switch equipment, after a while, get's annoying. Steve being Steve, surely he can cobble together a couple of items to provide the benefits of both armour and utility items.

I think two tiers, one using Osmium Armour as part of the crafting recipe, the other using Obsidian Armour. The Obsidian version also includes the greater energy/tank reserves. To counter that the armour has had the utility items merged with it, the armour rating would be 0.5 less per piece.

Also, big request, please make the jetpack controls configurable. I've always played with using the arrow keys and num key zero for jump. It's more comfortable and natural for me. Currently to activate the jetpack it's spacebar, which is very awkward.
Another annoying feature is switching between regular>hover>disabled mode. Do we really need a disabled mode, the number of times I've nearly killed myself when switching modes. Could it be made that a double jump activates the jetpack, and then holding jump flys you up. Once in flight/falling, a single jump will always activate the jetpack.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've finally been playing with Mekanism for a bit now, and I really love using the digital miner, but while toying around with it I've started to have some questions... I don't know if this has been answered/requested already though...

is it possible to use the digital miner to actually fill caves beneath it? perhaps by selecting air blocks in the configurations and have them be replaced with your filling material of choice? and is it also possible for the digital miner to either replace liquids with blocks, or perhaps actually pumping these liquids? you could for example attach some sort of pump module onto the digital miner that'll allow the digital miner to pump up the liquids. this block would also be the output for the liquids and the liquids can be transferred to tanks... perhaps you could even configure it so you can tell the digital miner which liquid it should pump, and which liquid it should just fill up with your filling materal of choice

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else have an issue with the config file ID's being different from in game? Its very strange. I cant get any of the upgrades to work and I think this has something to do with it. I'm using v5.7.0.11.

I also can't seem to turn off items with an ID of -1. Am I wrong about this being the way to turn off some items? TiC covers tools more than enough already without this mod adding more stuff.

Edit: Sorry to post a bug here, but I'm having trouble finding a location to report it. The main site doesnt have reference to one.

Update: The upgrades will go in if I Shift+Click them in.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The -1 (or 0) for ID only works for some mods. Safest way would be to try using MineTweaker to remove the recipe.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I've finally been playing with Mekanism for a bit now, and I really love using the digital miner, but while toying around with it I've started to have some questions... I don't know if this has been answered/requested already though...

is it possible to use the digital miner to actually fill caves beneath it? perhaps by selecting air blocks in the configurations and have them be replaced with your filling material of choice? and is it also possible for the digital miner to either replace liquids with blocks, or perhaps actually pumping these liquids? you could for example attach some sort of pump module onto the digital miner that'll allow the digital miner to pump up the liquids. this block would also be the output for the liquids and the liquids can be transferred to tanks... perhaps you could even configure it so you can tell the digital miner which liquid it should pump, and which liquid it should just fill up with your filling materal of choice

To my knowledge neither of those are possible, but the air block doesn't seem like a bad idea to me

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
To my knowledge neither of those are possible, but the air block doesn't seem like a bad idea to me

It would be nice to have a find and replace mode for liquids and air. Even if it destroyed the liquid.

I would like to see a companion to the digital miner called the digital builder. It would be able to make shapes similar to how worldedit works. Could even tell it to use a % of each material randomly in the shape to add "noise". Maybe even some custom stuff for terraforming like mountain, or floating island although that's far more complicated to execute. Maybe it could have markers you could set and it would replicate what blocks are inside the markers (from inventory of course) offset to a configurable setting. Can you tell I miss worldedit?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice to have a find and replace mode for liquids and air. Even if it destroyed the liquid.

I would like to see a companion to the digital miner called the digital builder. It would be able to make shapes similar to how worldedit works. Could even tell it to use a % of each material randomly in the shape to add "noise". Maybe even some custom stuff for terraforming like mountain, or floating island although that's far more complicated to execute. Maybe it could have markers you could set and it would replicate what blocks are inside the markers (from inventory of course) offset to a configurable setting. Can you tell I miss worldedit?

perhaps go even more fancy and allow the use of blueprints, similar to the old BC builder, or the Mr.Crayfish Contruction mod.
you'd be able to save a structure or terrain onto a blueprint, which you could then use with the digital builder.
the builder will, in return for the required items and energy cost, build the structure/terrain which was saved onto the blueprint.

perhaps with this you'd also be able to for example change the direction and the building height of the blueprint data through the digital builder, with perhaps some sort of preview ghost blocking, allowing you to build the structure at the exact location and direction that you want

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
How would one automate a Metalergic Infuser? I tried with an ME interface from AE however most of the recipies require two seperate inputs. For example I tried making Enriched Alloys wich requires one Iron and one redstone, however the ME interface can only insert into one facing and it would get one item but not the other.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
How would one automate a Metalergic Infuser? I tried with an ME interface from AE however most of the recipies require two seperate inputs. For example I tried making Enriched Alloys wich requires one Iron and one redstone, however the ME interface can only insert into one facing and it would get one item but not the other.
Input into chest and use the logistical sorter to pull things out of that chest and into the infuser. Or you could keep one slot constantly filled and just put in the other item when you need it

Reactions: PierceSG

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I had an idea (oh no!).

One thing I'm finding a little annoying is having to keep reprogramming the digital miner. How about the option to craft "pattern disks" and a "digital pattern terminal". On this terminal it allows you to write different configs and save them onto the disk. You can then insert this disk into the digital miner, and get the configuration.
Naturally, the "disks" and "DPT" need to be expensive as they are a time saving mechanic for a high tier machine.

No doubt programmable disks concept could be used on any future advanced tech.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I had an idea (oh no!).

One thing I'm finding a little annoying is having to keep reprogramming the digital miner. How about the option to craft "pattern disks" and a "digital pattern terminal". On this terminal it allows you to write different configs and save them onto the disk. You can then insert this disk into the digital miner, and get the configuration.
Naturally, the "disks" and "DPT" need to be expensive as they are a time saving mechanic for a high tier machine.

I was actually about to suggest the same thing, +1 for this suggestions

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I had an idea (oh no!).

Reprogram? Mine keeps all the settings when I pick it up with my crescent hammer.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Reprogram? Mine keeps all the settings when I pick it up with my crescent hammer.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk
Yes, but some ores you will want to silk touch, some it doesn't matter. Other times some resources you don't need. Hence reprogramming it to maximise efficiency on what to dig out the ground.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but some ores you will want to silk touch, some it doesn't matter. Other times some resources you don't need. Hence reprogramming it to maximise efficiency on what to dig out the ground.

yup, you'd have to either constantly reconfigure the digital miner for when you want to use it for something else, or you'll have to craft several digital miners

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
yup, you'd have to either constantly reconfigure the digital miner for when you want to use it for something else, or you'll have to craft several digital miners
Bit extreme, but would also work :D

I think though that "Digital Technology", of which the Miner is the first (or 2nd if you count the teleporter), would be a good "Top Tier Technology" in the future of Mekansim (I've got my misty crystal ball out). All these Digital devices will need some form of configuring to get to work, so being able to save your configs by using another block to write the "programs" is a natural step and something else for us to build and power.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
In short:
  • Several early-mid game gear options have been added that act similar to IC2 items, such as the Jetpack and Scuba Tank/Gas Mask.
  • A "quarry" has been added in the form of the Digital Miner. While drastically more expensive than a quarry and much more complicated, the DM can mine without harming the environment and can select what it mines.
  • An ore quadrupling system is being created. It is balanced, however, by being insanely expensive to upkeep.
  • Mekanism has largely dropped UE, and is now a primarily RF mod.
  • Universal cables are now tiered.
  • Several models have been reworked, including energy cubes and liquid pipes.
  • General nerfs to various areas.
  • The Logistical Sorter and Logistical Transporters were added. While the pipes act like RP2 tubes, the Logistical Sorter is possibly the most powerful sorting machine to ever exist in modded Minecraft, easily topping RP2's abilities. It features round-robin mode, color sorting, oredict support, automatic mode, item-by-item stack sizes and more. It has a bit of a learning curve but a lot of documentation from Aiden himself in the form of videos.
  • All machines can now autoeject into inventories or pipes, as well as having a TE-style side configuration interface. They can also be configured to only accept items painted (sorter) certain colors and automatically paint items coming out.
Well, maybe not THAT short, but you get the point.

Since Mekanism has largely dropped UE does the UE core or any of the other UE mods need to be installed for Mekanism to work?